Law School Discussion

Auto admit at Texas?

Auto admit at Texas?
« on: March 23, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »
Hi y'all,
I'm looking at applying for ED at UT.  I've been told that with a GPA of 3.5, and an LSAT of 170 I would be an auto admit. I'm sceptical.  Any way to find out?   

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
Re: Auto admit at Texas?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:39:55 AM »
Hi y'all,
I'm looking at applying for ED at UT.  I've been told that with a GPA of 3.5, and an LSAT of 170 I would be an auto admit. I'm sceptical.  Any way to find out?   

There's no such thing as an auto-admit. A presumptive, highly likely admit, sure. I don't know enough about UT to authoritatively comment, but I'd say with those numbers you would have a better shot than most.

Also, do you actually have those numbers, or is that what you're "expecting" to get?

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:40:05 AM »
You're not an auto-admit, but you have a good chance.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »
Judging by the Y'all comment and the fact that UT is your top choice. I would assume that you are in-state which puts you in the bin of exceptionally likely to be admitted.

Boss

• You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:45:59 AM »
Any way to find out?   

Call the school and ask them.

Historically, most TX residents with those numbers get in.  However that doesn't mean that you can turn in horrible essays and still have a shot.  It also points out how rare it is to get a 170+.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:43:06 AM »
Yes, I live in Austin, TX, and I love this place.   Thanks for answering my question.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:12:29 AM »
Judging by the Y'all comment and the fact that UT is your top choice. I would assume that you are in-state which puts you in the bin of exceptionally likely to be admitted.

do people outside of texas not use y'all?  I thought it was pretty common.

not really. i mean, the south in general uses it a lot. But it's uncommon elsewhere. In fact, many ignorant northerners view y'all as a slang word only the uneducated might use (but then have no problem substituting "you guys" instead).

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:14:02 AM »

not really. i mean, the south in general uses it a lot. But it's uncommon elsewhere. In fact, many ignorant northerners view y'all as a slang word only the uneducated might use (but then have no problem substituting "you guys" instead).

youse guys, actually.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »

youse guys, actually.

Only if you are from jersey guy.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »
Yankees say "yinz" instead of y'all.  Ignorant inbreds.