Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mercer, South Carolina, or Miami  (Read 1151 times)

VTMercutio

• "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
    • View Profile
Mercer, South Carolina, or Miami
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:30:28 AM »
So I am faced with a huge decision...just like everybody here.

I'm deciding between Mercer, South Carolina, and Miami.

I know a decent amount about Miami, and have visited the city, but I don't know anything about Mercer or South Carolina.

Mercer is rated pretty good, but do the facilities keep pace with South Carolina? I've heard that South Carolina has some pretty old buildings, but honestly that doesn't bother me at all if the faculty is first rate.

I would like to work in Florida...No State Income Tax!!!, but I really do not want to stay in Miami.  I was looking and the cost of living is absolutely through the roof.

I'm just looking for a general discussion about mostly South Carolina and Mercer, there is material all over about Miami, but barely anything about Mercer and South Carolina.

Thanks in advance everybody!
University of Miami Class of 2010

b15

• View Profile
Re: Mercer, South Carolina, or Miami
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:54:18 AM »
I interned at a firm in Orlando two years ago and 1/4 of their attorneys were from Miami. I think a Miami degree has some flexibility throughout the state of FL for the most part.

brutus09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:53:47 AM »
I would say either Mercer or Miami.  South Carolina is going down hill.  A friend of mine who was top 5% and LR at SC had to work extremely hard to find a summer job.  I can only imagine what the bottom half of the class ends up with.

h2xblive

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:13:30 PM »
I would say either Mercer or Miami.  South Carolina is going down hill.  A friend of mine who was top 5% and LR at SC had to work extremely hard to find a summer job.  I can only imagine what the bottom half of the class ends up with.

I've heard the same.  The explanation was that they were losing faculty to another South Carolina law school.

As for your friend, she/he must be looking for something special/particular.  There are plenty of "southern biglaw" firms (as I call them) in Coloumbia and cities like Greenville and Charleston, that would gladly hire someone who's on the law review and has that high a GPA.

barenakedtjm

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 12:17:26 PM »
Is USC really losing faculty to the Charleston school??  Is it even accredited yet?

h2xblive

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »
Is USC really losing faculty to the Charleston school??  Is it even accredited yet?

That's what I heard...but it could just be gossip.

Magnum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 12:27:17 PM »
A guy at my church recently graduated from Mercer and said it was top notch.  The legal writing program is very good and the school seems to be improving, i.e. facilities, faculty, at least according to him.  The downside is that it is in Macon, GA, a fairly small town but there is a decent undergraduate population and a good music scene.  I also have many friends who attended and still attend USC.  The facilities are terrible but you do have access to some undergraduate facilities.  Some of the faculty has left for Charleston School of Law and are continuing to leave.  I would recommend going to USC if you want to practice in SC.  Mercer, on the other hand has some influence in areas outside of GA.  Columbia is probably a more enjoyable place to live in comparison to Macon and the cost of living is probably comparable.  On the whole though it does seem that Mercer is on the up and USC is on the decline, unless they alter things soon.  Hope that helps.  

barenakedtjm

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 01:24:09 PM »
That's wild...  I just can't imagine them wanting to leave for the Charleston school.  For the city, yes.  But for the school?

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »
If you want to live and practice in FL, and you are deciding between the three, choose Miami.
Vanderbilt 2010

Old and in the Way

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »
Charleston has received provisional ABA accreditation. That's what the lady at USC told me who took me on a tour a few weeks ago.