Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oh No . . .  (Read 1979 times)

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
  • The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
Oh No . . .
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:25:32 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/ap_on_re_eu/british_seized_iran

Iran seizes 15 British sailors in Iraqi waters. This scares me. I don't want a spark in that powder keg. Thoughts? Am I wrong to be worried about this? Predictions?
…no bloody or unbloody change of society can eradicate the evil in man: as long as there will be men, there will be malice, envy and hatred, and hence there cannot be a society which does not have to employ coercive restraint.

– Leo Strauss, The City and Man, page 5

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:32:47 AM »
Am I the only person who cares about this? maybe I was overreacting -
…no bloody or unbloody change of society can eradicate the evil in man: as long as there will be men, there will be malice, envy and hatred, and hence there cannot be a society which does not have to employ coercive restraint.

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:56:36 AM »
oh . . . sorry

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »
Why is it stupid to be worried? America recently sent big ol battle ships out there as a show of strength. Ayatollah responds that threats will be met with force, and now there are British sailors seized by Iranians navy in Iraqi territory . . . doesn't look real promising for near future stability, does it?

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »
yeah, maybe it's news-spin? How is it being reported in Iran?

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 05:10:53 AM »
I'll give it a go...
I don't see this as a potential spark.  There has been an incredible "ramping up" of anti-Iranian rhetoric in the past several months but I don't see this particular incident as a problem.  Iran, operationally, would be a nightmare situation with the current number of available troops in the US military.  Although there would be a strong support (logistically) from our bases in Iraq, it would not be enough.  Combat troops are needed in cases such as these and we (with our poicy of number of troops in the field v. number of troops at home) cannot feasibly engage Iran with our current numbers as they are.  Iran's army is very well trained, very seasoned, and very well equipped.  Iraq's government was toppled in 20-some-odd days.  Iran would not be so easy.  To put it simply, we do not have the resources.  If anything, I predict an air campaign.  Israel has already asked permission (and been given it) to fly over international boundaries on the way to Iran.  Also, carrier strike groups in the region equate to air power... and lots of it.  Just my thoughts.  Anyone else want to take a stab it?
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 05:42:26 AM »
Agreed.  We have no muscle to flex at the moment.  So long as we are spread out, others can disregard any influence we try to exert.  North Korea is a prime example of this as well.

UH 2010

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 07:13:44 AM »
if you guys think we have no muscles to flex...you are in the wrong thinking vein...

the airstrike would be to cripple iran...and iran, is now...surrounded...it would be tactical airstrike after airstrike...then let the israelis take a crack at it...then the brits...over and over again...

mountainbusting bombs...picture southern lebanon last summer cubed...

and that would be starters and finishers...

energy plants, military camps, navy yards, shipping ports, airports, and bridges...not one soldier would have to step foot on persian soil.

aye can tell most of you guys are democrats...cause some of you are scared..."oh no! all our military is in iraq..boo hoo..."

we are not talking about boots...we are talking about airpower...and warships.

it shan't come to this...but to calm the liberals and democrats fears...

we are ready.

the dems fear is putting blood in the water...seems more and more likely that mccain will get the nod in 08...a former military independent will be their resource.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »
You are forgetting one important rule of war...  No one surrenders to jets. 

UH 2010

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 02:27:52 PM »
Bluewarrior, not everything is partisan.