Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Huge problem - CLS waitlist - would like input.  (Read 931 times)

holydevil

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Huge problem - CLS waitlist - would like input.
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:22:02 AM »
Hello,

I was fortunate enough to get waitlisted at Columbia.  My grade trend has been strong the past two years, 3.63 and 3.83.  This year I had to take 10 hours of classes in the fall, and 11 hours for this spring semester in order to graduate in May.  In addition to this I work over 50 hours a week and I have a job that requires me to be on call 24/7.  This fall and spring I had to also deal with the law school application process, and prepping and taking the LSAT twice, once in October and once in February.

The reason I'm saying this is because my load has been tremendous and my grades have suffered.  In the fall semester I got an A and two B's. This semester I'll get 2 A's and 1 C.

On the Columbia waitlist letter it said that one thing they look at most in the reserve group is a change of grades.  Am I basically screwed?  Columbia is my dream law school, and I feel blessed to even be put on reserve.  It's frustrating though because I'm so close but it seems like I have no chance.  I'm a computer science major with a minor in math.  This semester I have calculus III, and two CS classes that are work intensive. 

Is my best bet to still send a why Columbia essay? Or should I get recommendations from my calculus and computer science teachers? Or both? Should I explain what I've been going through?

I don't know what move to do.  I thought about dropping calc III and retaking it in the summer, but that would force me to graduate on the 9th of August and I have no idea if that's a deal breaker or not.

Thanks for any advice or feedback you can provide, I appreciate the time that you take in reading this.

holydevil

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Huge problem - CLS waitlist - would like input.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »
I just called Columbia and they said that graduating in August instead of May would not adversly affect my chances of being on reserve.  So I'm planning on dropping calculus III and taking it in the summer.  My year's GPA will only be a 3.6 but that seems a lot better than being a 3.1 with a C in Calculus III.

holydevil

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »
People do indeed withdraw from Columbia don't they? The HYS people?  Why do you feel it's a bad idea?  Do you think it will look worse? Or do you think it's not worth the effort.  I am willing to go the distance for even a 1% chance of getting into Columbia.  Do you really think that graduating in May with like a 3.1 for that year will be better?  I don't understand why you think it's a bad idea.  I'm not adverse to droppping the class at all, even without Columbia.  I should have an A in Calculus III and not a C, because I know I can do it especially if it's the only class I have even during a summer semester.

Last year, three people who got waitlisted out of the hundreds who did got in.  So one does have a small amount of hope.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:16:10 AM »
Sure, there's a small chance you could get accepted.  But there's a more likely possibility that you'll not get accepted, have ruined your summer by taking calc, have to move to law school on a moment's notice as you pack up and leave summer session, and will end up at your second choice law school where they already accepted you regardless of what you get in Calc III.

Also your sob story about having a tough workload won't win over too many people here.  Almost everyone had to balance the LSAT, applications, and school at the same time.  You chose to work full time, and you chose to take the course load you had (which is only PT, and manageable when working FT)  Also, you chose to take the LSAT twice.  You didn't have to take it that second time.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »
People do indeed withdraw from Columbia don't they? The HYS people?  Why do you feel it's a bad idea?  Do you think it will look worse? Or do you think it's not worth the effort.  I am willing to go the distance for even a 1% chance of getting into Columbia.  Do you really think that graduating in May with like a 3.1 for that year will be better?  I don't understand why you think it's a bad idea.  I'm not adverse to droppping the class at all, even without Columbia.  I should have an A in Calculus III and not a C, because I know I can do it especially if it's the only class I have even during a summer semester.

Last year, three people who got waitlisted out of the hundreds who did got in.  So one does have a small amount of hope.

Have you been accepted to any schools? I mean, if you're in at only much lower ranked schools, yeah, maybe it's worth it to stay on. But if you're in at like a UVA/Mich/Duke... not worth the headache.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Pink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »

First, you need to relax!  I know it's easier said than done, but you need to realize that you can still be a successful, respected, lawyer if you do not attend Columbia.

If you drop the class and do not graduate until August, you will have little or no rest between UG and law school.  You're essentially setting yourself up for a burn-out.  So I wouldn't recommend graduating in August, unless you're considering (maybe) deferring enrollment for a year to catch your breath.

Schools use the waitlist to "plug holes" in the incoming class.  So factors such a really high GPA, high LSAT, URM status, age (usually to take in more non-trads), etc affect who they pull off the waitlist.  People who have "blockbuster" action after getting waitlisted (e.g., you were wailtisted and then you received a scholarship, significant boost in GPA/LSAT, etc) also have a good chance.  If you do not have any of these factors in your favor, then your WL is basically a "soft" rejection, so it's best to not get your hopes up.

Good luck.
HLS '10

holydevil

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:30:12 PM »
I've gotten into GWU with 20k/year and some financial award.  I've been accepted to Depaul and Loyola but I've withdrawn from both.  I'm just waiting on Fordham, Cornell, and UIUC.  I don't think I'd go to UIUC and I'm not sure why I applied.  I think I'd turn down Fordham as well. NU rejected me. Columbia is the best school I applied too.   I guess I should have applied to more t14's.

I think you guys are right.  I think I just need to be happy with GWU(no reason not to, it's a good school) and give up on Columbia. 

holydevil

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 05:12:52 PM »
I haven't thought about Columbia since your posts so I do feel better about this.  Thanks to all of you for taking the time to settle me down, and set me straight.