Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is LSAT too low?  (Read 1798 times)

LawSchoolhopeful

• View Profile
Is LSAT too low?
« on: March 05, 2004, 04:45:20 PM »
Hello!

My undergraduate GPA was a 3.938 (1999) graduating  5/589 but my Feb. LSAT score was a 149. I was extremely disappointed. I have nearly 3 years of work experience working in the TV News industry and my major was Communications at a Public institution.  I recently went through a divorce, though, with an infant and a husband that was arrested with possesion of cocaine which may have affected my score.  What do you think my chances are of getting into a top 20 school?

Thanks so much!

PS- Im too embarassed to ask anyone I know this b/c of my Lsat thanks for this service

dsds3581

• View Profile
Re: Is LSAT too low?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 05:03:08 PM »
Very, very little chance.

I think you need to prep hard for a re-take, score at LEAST in the mid 160s (therefore, don't take the test again until you're scoring at least that high repeatedly on practice tests) and then apply with an addendum about how you got that 149 while you were having problems dealing with complications that were recent in relation to the time of that exam. That way, several top 20 schools will probably disregard the 149 instead of averaging it with your higher score.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 05:03:56 PM »
Unfortunately many of the top 20 (if not all of them) are LSAT heavy. So the fact that you graduated with a 3.93 (which is very stellar, great job BTW) doesn't change the unfortuante circumstances of the 149 (some may take this into account, but usually the GPA is overlooked) all you can do is explain in an addendum all of the mitigating and extenuating factors that played against you and hope for the best. I could not, nor anyone on this board give you an accurate prediction of the top 20 law schools, but unless your circumstances are taken into account or you re-writre the LSAT your chances are mediocre at best, IMO, sorry. GOOD LUCK
 :) 
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 01:23:02 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. I'm sure it did affect your score!

I would definitely retake. How were you doing in practice tests? You should aim for 160+, but if you weren't getting near or about there in practice, then you might want to take am LSAT class like Princeton Review. It will definitely help with discipline and with helping you stay focused, especially considering what you've been through.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 08:20:28 AM »
get a private tutor and retake it.  send a letter w/your app explaining your sitch and why you scored so low. 

also, a 3.9 may end up being lower when it converts to a LSAC gpa depending on your school...my friend had a 3.5 and it ended up turning into a 2.8 (went to a comm. college)

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 10:23:06 PM »
Not to be rude but, retake the LSAT.

A 149 is tier 4 material. All LS's are LSAT heavy enough that a 149 is an auto-ding at every tier 1 and 2 school. You have virtually no chance at a top 20 and a slim chance at anything above tier 4 with your current score. Best of luck.