Law School Discussion

Emory Money?

JM26

Re: Emory Money?
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 01:58:02 PM »
I still have no email but my#'s aren't that great even thought I'm a urm. I did send in all my stuff by the deadline. oh well.

edit: oops, I just got my email. $45,000 a yr - not bad- I was expeccting to pay full price.

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2007, 02:08:12 PM »
Got the 60k email from Emory today as well

Is it just me or does it seem kind of weird that they offer 54k and 60k...the difference in the long run isn't that great

nor in the short run.  they're obv focusing on the 164-166 crowd.  Whcih si probably a good strategy, if I didnt have my ridiculous lsat retake id def be going to emory next year.

164-166 probably wouldn't raise their median much if at all. I'm not sure if I get this strategy at all.

Yeah, does anyone understand their reasoning behind this? It doesn't seem like they're really trying to attract people with high numbers (by offering only slightly more money than people who are just above their medians). I got the $18k/year offer, but since I have an offer of $15k/year from USC, Emory doesn't really seem worth it anymore.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »
remember: median is about the middle number. NOT the mean, average number. So in this case a 165 is above their median and helps JUST as much as a 169.

Also, it seems like the scholarships are trying to raise their fairly pitiful GPA as much as it is about their LSAT.

skip

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2007, 02:52:38 PM »
Last year I received 75k and I had to defer due to a death in my immediate family. The reason for deferring was that there was a chance the rest of my family would leave atlanta, so it just made sense to defer with all the uncertainty. Anyways, let me be upfront. I understand that they can't guarantee that money, that it was my decision to defer,etc, but the other schools that gave me money were very up-front in telling me that it would be just like reapplying with respect to the money. Emory told me that due to the extenuating circumstances, etc., they would wink-wink make sure that I was taken care of. Then when things settled down, I called to see what was going on. I was told that "[they] expected me to get at least the same amount, but probably more due to my work experience, etc." So, the problem is not with the money (i have no beef with the other school that didn't award me the same amount), but the misleading nature of their communications with me. Anyone have any suggestions for how to proceed tactfully? Also, do most people expect that each person who actually committs to Emory will end up getting more $$ as the withdrawals come in?

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2007, 08:55:05 PM »
Crap, for some reason I assumed the only scholarship you could apply for was the Woodruff.  As such, I never filled out the general scholarship application.  Did anyone get a scholarship from Emory after only having sumbitted the fafsa and need access form?  I blew it big time I think...

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 09:22:09 PM »
Crap, for some reason I assumed the only scholarship you could apply for was the Woodruff.  As such, I never filled out the general scholarship application.  Did anyone get a scholarship from Emory after only having sumbitted the fafsa and need access form?  I blew it big time I think...

i doubt you did. i didn't submit anything and i got 54k over three years.

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »

i doubt you did. i didn't submit anything and i got 54k over three years.

Oh my, you just saved my evening--thanks for sharing your info!

dgutc

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 12:24:47 AM »
my roommate got 54k this week in an email. He got accepted like 3 weeks ago and was complete only 2 weeks prior to that. Lsat 165 gpa 3.9

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2007, 05:30:53 PM »
You guys think Emory is still making scholarship offers via email? I've been going through the same situation with receiving the letter about verification forms, Tax returns, etc.  I was glad to hear they are giving offers even when this stuff isn't complete.  By the way, I've been in the work force for about a year and half since undergrad, so I guess that's why.