Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: mich vs. boalt vs. duke  (Read 1370 times)

carthageinruins

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
mich vs. boalt vs. duke
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:48:08 PM »
Barring any last minute acceptances I will be picking between these three schools. My goal is to work in Biglaw in Boston, Chicago, or New York (wherever my gf/future fiance) ends up for med school. I am in-state at Berkeley, so that will save me ~12-15 grand a year compared to Mich and Duke, so at the moment I am leaning towards Boalt. However, I really dont think that Berkeley would be a good fit for me, as a relatively well off white republican a-hole. I also hate California, so that is a consideration as well, and Berkeley isn't my favorite city in the world. That being said, I adapt pretty well to any conditions, so I would probably be fine if I did end up there. I just want to know if I will be screwing myself for east coast biglaw by going to berkeley. What if I @#!* things up there? Will I be stuck being a pub defender or ADA in Cali? That would really be my worst nightmare at this point.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: mich vs. boalt vs. duke
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:52:04 PM »
ny, chi, boston?  mich

you would not be screwing yourself if you went to Boalt tho.
Columbia 3L

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:07:16 PM »
Barring any last minute acceptances I will be picking between these three schools. My goal is to work in Biglaw in Boston, Chicago, or New York (wherever my gf/future fiance) ends up for med school. I am in-state at Berkeley, so that will save me ~12-15 grand a year compared to Mich and Duke, so at the moment I am leaning towards Boalt. However, I really dont think that Berkeley would be a good fit for me, as a relatively well off white republican a-hole. I also hate California, so that is a consideration as well, and Berkeley isn't my favorite city in the world. That being said, I adapt pretty well to any conditions, so I would probably be fine if I did end up there. I just want to know if I will be screwing myself for east coast biglaw by going to berkeley. What if I @#!* things up there? Will I be stuck being a pub defender or ADA in Cali? That would really be my worst nightmare at this point.

wow! when are you popping the big question?

carthageinruins

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:13:51 PM »

wow! when are you popping the big question?

lol, I'm not sure. not soon enough, from her perspective. she tells me she wants to marry me every single day....I think most college guys would have run away by now...its a good thing that kind of thing doesn't bother me. seriously though, I want to see what grad school will be like and where she is going to end up for med school

Chingon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »
I don't think you would be screwing yourself. My opinion is this: since the grading system at Berkeley is so mysterious anyway, and I've looked at the bios of plenty of East coast firms and saw Berkeley represented pretty well (especially considering most people who graduate from Boalt stay in Cali) I think you have an ok chance of getting a good job wherever you decide to go. Your opprotunities may be slightly less than going to mich, but your debt will be lower. And what if you bomb at mich? I have a feeling that bombing at boalt is better than bombing at mich because at least at boalt you won't be distinguishable from the other 60% of the class with Pass grades.

Great avatar.

On topic: I would also think Michigan would give the best placement, but the other schools would not be bad choices either.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »
Duke also places very well in New York and Boston, I don't know abotu Chicago, I'm not considering it, so I didn't take notice.

brutus09

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »
I would say Michigan or Boalt.  Duke isn't on the same level.  Take a look at the SCOTUS clerks selected this year.  You will see that no Duke students were selected.  Apparently the Supreme Court doesn't consider Duke to be very prestigious.  Michigan and Boalt have much better reps and will provide much better options throughout the country.

1LCorvo

• 25,000,754 Ways to Break A Person's Neck S.Segal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 09:54:01 PM »
I would say Michigan or Boalt.  Duke isn't on the same level.  Take a look at the SCOTUS clerks selected this year.  You will see that no Duke students were selected.  Apparently the Supreme Court doesn't consider Duke to be very prestigious.  Michigan and Boalt have much better reps and will provide much better options throughout the country.

That doesn't follow. Students from Cardozo and UGA were selected. Michigan and Duke had zilch. Does that mean Cardozo and UGA are more prestigious than Mich and Duke. Your suggestion seems to imply this...

Here's the list:
OCTOBER TERM 2007 SUPREME COURT CLERK HIRES (as of March 23, 2007)

Chief Justice John G. Roberts
1. Jason Burnette (UGA 2006 / R. Lanier Anderson)
2. Josh Hawley (Yale 2006 / McConnell)
3. Anton Metlitsky (Harvard 2005 / Garland)
4. Erin Morrow (Yale 2005 / Wilkinson)

Justice John Paul Stevens
1. Todd Gluth (Boalt Hall 2005 / W. Fletcher)
2. Sara Klein (Cardozo 2005 / Barry (3d Cir.) / Lifland (D.N.J.))
3. Kate Shaw (Northwestern 2006 / Posner)
4. Abby Wright (U. Penn. 2006 / Boudin)

Justice Antonin Scalia
1. Aditya Bamzai (University of Chicago/Sutton/OLC)
2. John Bash (Harvard 2006 / Kavanaugh)
3. Bryan Killian (Harvard / Niemeyer)
4. Rachel Kovner (Stanford / Wilkinson)

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy
1. Michael Chu (Harvard / D. Ginsburg)
2. Stephen Cowen (U. Chicago / D. Ginsburg)
3. Andrianna ("Annie") Kastanek (Northwestern 2005 / Ripple)
4. C.J. Mahoney (Yale 2006 / Kozinski)

Justice David H. Souter

1. Bert Huang (Harvard 2003 / Boudin)
2. Leslie Kendrick (UVA 2006 / Wilkinson)
3. Michael Mongan (Stanford 2006 / Garland)
4. Micah Smith (Harvard 2006 / Calabresi)

Justice Clarence Thomas
1. Eric McArthur (Chicago 2005 / Luttig)
2. Carrie Severino (Harvard 2005 / Sentelle)
3. Heath Tarbert (U. Penn 2001 / D. Ginsburg)
4. Leila Thompson (NYU / Lambert (D.D.C.) / Sentelle)

Justice Thomas, by the way, is almost done with his October Term 2008 hiring. See here.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
1. Ruthanne Deutsch (Georgetown 2004 / Dyk (Fed. Cir.))
2. Brian Fletcher (Harvard 2006 / Garland)
3. Tom Saunders (Yale 2004 / Leval)
4. Zack Tripp (Columbia 2005 / Kearse)

Justice Stephen G. Breyer
1. Michael Bosworth (Yale 2003 / Rakoff (SDNY) / Katzmann)
2. Karen Dunn (Yale 2006 / Garland)
3. Eric Feigin (Stanford 2005 / Wilkinson)
4. Philippa M. Scarlett (Columbia 2003 / A. Williams (7th Cir.))

Justice Samuel Alito
1. James Hunter (Yale 2004 / Alito)
2. Geoffrey Michael (Yale 2000 / Alito)
3. David H. Moore (BYU 1996 / Alito)
4. Jessica Phillips (Northwestern 2006 / Flaum)
With the number 1 pick in the NBA draft, the Portland Trailblazers select: Greg Oden!

(the Trailblazers have been blessed from God)

chucky

• Sr. Citizen
  • The bright side of our future biglaw slavery=420hp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 11:48:50 PM »
Unless you want to stay in California (which you obviously don't) I wouldn't go to Berkley. If by some chance you do fall in the class rankings it would be much better to be in an Eastern school (which noone plans on doing, yet it is a reasonable possibility for anyone going to a top school...ex. assuming the whole class is scholastically brilliant or they would not be admitted, then  50% of those brilliant people are going to be in the bottom half of the class)... So if it were me, I would go to Michigan, Duke, and then Berkley in that order. (Plus, from what I hear Berkley is pretty liberal in comparison to the other two...not my cup of tea.)