Law School Discussion

Adderall for LSAT

randymarsh

• Mmmm. Breakfast.
    • View Profile
Re: Adderall for LSAT
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
Jesus I can't stand this. I'm not talking about the thread itself but the responses telling the OP that taking adderall is illegal and immoral for the LSAT unless you have a condition. NO sh*t! I'm sure the OP didn't come on here to have people tell him/her that it's immoral/illegal to take the drug. Everytime I see someone nag on posts like this I just think 'wow, thanks for the f-in lecture mom'....Sorry, I've read through other threads like this and I can't stand the lectures people give.
Co-sign. What the OP needs to know is that adderall is more likely to lower your score than raise it. (Take a practice test on adderall under timed conditions if you don't believe me.)

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 06:22:03 AM »
I have worked in a pharmacy for a fairly long time - believe me, there is a big difference between taking Adderall, as prescribed, for ADD and taking it by choice.  If you don't need it, it could seriously affect your thinking process.  My advice - don't try it!!

n/a

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 06:26:10 AM »
I have a friend who took it while doing LSAT... here are his observations:

During preptests where no pressure was on, it allowed deeper concentration and higher scores by 3-4 points.
During real administrations, any advantage is counteracted by the jitteriness caused by taking an amphetamine w/o prescription combined with the presense of a pressure situation.  He found himself running out of time from stress/panicking over questions.

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 08:45:24 AM »
I took the LSAT, once with Adderall, once without (don't worry, it's prescribed to me).  The time with it, as a previous poster said, I freaked out on certain sections (reading comprehension) once I faced the pressure of the real test.  Also, I tended to take a bit longer on the logic games--though finishing wasn't really an issue there (practice, practice, practice!).  Anyway, here's my conclusion: with adderall, 164; without, 177.

Note: the first time I took the LSAT I didn't really study much beyond the logic games (stupidly thinking I couldn't improve on the logical reasoning section), the second time I mainly focused on the logical reasoning and that's where I improved most.  I guess that means my little experiment (though it wasn't that at the time, mind you) is a bit flawed.

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
I took the LSAT, once with Adderall, once without (don't worry, it's prescribed to me).  The time with it, as a previous poster said, I freaked out on certain sections (reading comprehension) once I faced the pressure of the real test.  Also, I tended to take a bit longer on the logic games--though finishing wasn't really an issue there (practice, practice, practice!).  Anyway, here's my conclusion: with adderall, 164; without, 177.

Note: the first time I took the LSAT I didn't really study much beyond the logic games (stupidly thinking I couldn't improve on the logical reasoning section), the second time I mainly focused on the logical reasoning and that's where I improved most.  I guess that means my little experiment (though it wasn't that at the time, mind you) is a bit flawed.

Oh, and also, Adderall makes me really interested in the reading.  I think that's why I read so much slower.  On Adderall I can read for hours at a time, but I'm pretty sure my reading speed drops quite a bit--generally speaking.  FWIW, I quit taking it altogether, for various other reasons (sleep, diet, etc.), but I don't regret dropping it.

ATHOS

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 09:26:32 AM »
Does taking Adderall before the test help boost your?  Anyone with experience?

The effects of stimulants such as Adderall on the brain are not easy to understand by any means.  If you are considering taking some type of stimulant (prescribed I hope) before sitting for the LSAT, you should take all of the effects of the drug into consideration.

YES stimulants such as Adderall make it easier to concentrate, and for some (myself included), they can be the difference  between a 147 and a 164. This result however, is certainly the exception, not the rule.

Stimulants produce some serious side-effects that may ultimately cause one to perform EVEN WORSE on the LSAT than they would under normal circumstances.  EXTREME ANXIETY, CONSTANT MUSCLE SPASMS, TACHYCARDIA, AND EVEN PANIC ATTACKS are not uncommon, especially in those who do not take the drug under the supervision of a Doctor.

People with Attention-Deficit Disorders are usually on calculated doses of stimulants, and are much more resistant to the negative side effects of their respective medications, as they have gone through careful titration (gradually increased dosages at the behest of a doctor in order to achieve maximum benefit at minimum cost).   Thus these individuals tend to know what to expect from the drug.

One who merely decides to pop a little blue pill on test day may be in for a rather gruesome experience, as they will have no idea what the specific reaction to the drug will be. Depending on a what they ate that day, how much sleep they had, and how nervous they naturally become in such situations, a person could react in infinitely different ways to the same dose.  In other words, IT IS A HUGE RISK AND ONE THAT IS QUITE POSSIBLY NOT WORTH TAKING.

My advice is this... If the OP or anybody else is considering using a stimulant on test day, they should first ask themselves whether or not their difficulties with the LSAT are related to focus and concentration (can you read a book in a loud coffee shop without significant difficulties?) If concentration is not the problem, and maintaining focus for extended periods of time is quite easy for you, then I would advise most people to stay away from stimulants such as Adderall, ESPECIALLY on test day, as it is likely they will not do anything, other than make you incredibly anxious and sweaty.

HTH.

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 09:28:44 AM »
slow children at play..can i get your email address?  i have a few questions regarding the matter.  thanks.

BYU RULES

• Go Cougars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 09:32:25 AM »
Taking prescription drugs without a prescription is illegal, not to mention immoral.  In the case of taking them for the LSAT, it is cheating.  I'm taking the LSAT this June and I hope nobody cheats.

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »
Taking prescription drugs without a prescription is illegal, not to mention immoral.  In the case of taking them for the LSAT, it is cheating.  I'm taking the LSAT this June and I hope nobody cheats.

C0CK

BYU RULES

• Go Cougars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 10:10:43 AM »

C0CK

That's an ad hominem fallacy.  You better get used to logic if you're taking the LSAT soon!