I'd rather be waitlisted early in the cycle than have an app pending for 4-5 months with no decision (assuming I've been accepted SOMEWHERE).
At least that way you can say "Well I'm going to X school, unless I get pulled of the waitlist at Z school."
Seriously. I am still waiting on 3 schools, and I just want them to reject me already so I can move on with my life. They better not WL me this late in the game.
How about getting a fee waiver, then getting deferred, and finally being waitlisted? That's what Lewis and Clark did to me. So I withdrew after several months of waiting on a school that insisted I apply. I wish they would have just told me that they weren't serious about my application. The funny thing is that I had a 75% chance of getting in at L&C according to LSAC. Their fee waiver arrived in early February so I guess they were just looking to lower their acceptance rate. I also got into USD ,which is a more competitive school, even though my chances were 45%.
I agree with guppy.. i HATE being waitlisted. i'd honestly prefer to be rejected because then i wouldn't have the fact that i have the tiniest possibility that i could end up somewhere else after i give my seat deposit hanging over my head
plus, i don't want to write any stupid LOCI!!
I just want to get a final answer so I don't feel like I'm wasting $250 sending a deposit to a school that is my fourth or fifth choice.
Even though I have been waitlisted at most of my target schools, I got into my third choice. So it was easy to withdraw from my waitlists. This process just showed me that I had applied to way too many schools. I shouldn't even have applied outside of California. I guess I got a little carried away but luck stepped in and got me an acceptance to the target school that I preferred.