Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missing the deposit deadline?  (Read 1065 times)

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Missing the deposit deadline?
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:36:46 PM »
Just wondering if anyone knows what happens if you miss a deposit deadline.  Do you automatically lose your offer of acceptance or do they assume some people will be late and have a "grace period"?

USD 2010

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Missing the deposit deadline?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »
I think it depends on the school, but at the school I am planning on attending they sent a letter that made it very clear that if you missed the deadline, your seat was up for grabs and scholarship was gone.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

cmickey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 04:51:37 PM »
what happens if you dont get the letter until after the deadline???

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »
what happens if you dont get the letter until after the deadline???

I'm sure they adjust the dates accordingly.

skip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »
I know for a fact that many schools' "deadlines" are only bluffing, at least if you are one of their better or even median candidates. Last year, I was set on two schools, and then another school that I had decided against sent me a huge scholarship offer about three weeks after their deposit deadline. This year, a school that I deferred at, wanted me to pay a $1000 deferral deposit by feb. 1st to ensure that I was going, a fee that I didn't pay, and now I keep getting correspondance from them and a call to confirm that I was going to their asw (i'm not). I would say if you were borderline, it might have some consequences, but in my experience with two top 25 schools, it didn't matter.

CougMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:03:19 PM »
I know last year I was accepted to a school and offered a scholarship and they called me a few times after the deadline to see if I was interested, and offered to extend the deadline for me.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
Yeah, basically I have a deadline approaching April 1.  I just sent a request for scholarship money last week and don't want to send the deposit until I at least hear back.  I fear if they see my deposit and haven't offered me anything yet, they'll say "no need to give him money, he's coming anyway", even if the deposit is just intended to hold my seat.

Maybe I'll just call and request an extension.
USD 2010

ImpactPlayer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 07:54:34 PM »
Yeah, basically I have a deadline approaching April 1.  I just sent a request for scholarship money last week and don't want to send the deposit until I at least hear back.  I fear if they see my deposit and haven't offered me anything yet, they'll say "no need to give him money, he's coming anyway", even if the deposit is just intended to hold my seat.

Maybe I'll just call and request an extension.

I would just do that.  I think most schools will give you a three week extension.