Law School Discussion

Fordham ASW - This Saturday

Re: Fordham ASW - This Saturday
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2007, 01:22:12 AM »
I'm new here, found out about this today at the event, I'm from Hartford, most likely going to Fordham or UConn. My random thoughts:

-Mock class, kind of boring. However, more for the subject matter than anything else. The prof was a geniunely nice guy, really seemed like he enjoyed being there. Hope he's the same way in real class.
-Amazing location. I lived in NYC until I was ten, and lived right around there. How the area has changed. It's always been a nice area, but it is even more amazing now.
-The facilities were fine. I kind of like the "high school thing".
-That guy who talked about how he gave up $250,000 in salary. Umm...inappropriate. I understand he was trying to show how much he loves Fordham, but it's just a total lack of class to talk about salary.
-Good food.
-What was wrong with the student panel? They were all the same person! Seriously, it was as if they all cared about public law, are evening/planning to transfer, didn't live in the dorms, etc., etc. You would think they would have an even mix. Nope. And as someone in Day/plans to live in housing/into corporate, it was of no help to me. The thing is Day Student/Housing/Coporate Law probably represented half the people there.
-I don't like the commuter student aspect.
-Good looking group of people (both students and perspectives) not like what I've seen visting other law schools. Girls were pretty and some cute guys. I kind of blame this one kid for me not paying attention during the first session. He was sitting near the back, baby blue polo, and ridiculously pretty blue eyes that I kept having to look at! And this kid sitting a few seats next to him with his dad was also hot. (yeah, now I'm embarrassed if either of you are members of this website, and I'll stop acting like a 15 year old teenage girl, though from what I hear about law school, maybe I should get into it again).
-Students generally seemed like they enjoy themselves; find a good work/life balance.
-Still concerned the school is full of people who are there because they couldn't get into Columbia, NYU, etc.
-My tour guide was dull. Didn't seem to know much, read off his paper too much.
-Call me elitist, but I don't like how easy it is to go from PT to FT.
-The dean mentioned how Fordham places so many students in the Top 30 firms. He then talks about how Harvard and Georgetown are "cheating" because they are so huge. Hello?!? Last time I checked, Fordham was the seventh largest law school in the US (6th if you don't county Cooley) in terms of enrollment!
-They really played the alumni thing, and I totally felt they were genuine about it.
-They seemed to try to compensate too hard for their lack of a good USNWR ranking.
-They talked about how oppurtunities are available in the other "Big 9" markets (Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington). I appreciate their efforts, but they really shouldn't try to convince people that "if you go to Fordham, you can get a job in Miami/LA/etc." Of course, you can, but they made it seem way easier than it would be. You go to Fordham to work in NYC, which is a fine reason in itself. They tried to play it down a little.

Overall, despite the negatives, a good experience. I enjoyed it.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2007, 05:44:09 AM »
...didn't get to talk to the lsd folks today...but I saw you guys from a distance.  orangie, i believe i opened the door for you upon entering, but didn't realize it was you until the end of the day - i was the filipino/asian dude in the blue buttoned up shirt and rolled up sleeves. tl,i recognized you via your 'tar and said wsup

You should have come over and chilled with us, especially during the student panel.  Everyone I met was extremely cool, not nearly as lame as I expected law students to be.

I like NYC, it's going to take some getting used to, but I can't find anything positive to say about the school except the surrounding area seemed nice.  I just wasn't feeling it.  They should really work on getting some new facilities and stop being so focused on NYC because I think the school has potential.

I sorta wish I hadn't come to ASD because it's really making me doubt wanting to come to Fordham. Now everything is a big mess and I don't know what I'm going to do.

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2007, 08:26:51 AM »
I was at the ASD as well--though it took me a while to actually get to fordham (the one train, which was what I was told to take) actually ended up being an express train this weekend and it took me 30 extra minutes of being confused and changing trains to get on the right subway line.    I really enjoyed the ASD--it reinforced what I've heard before re:  the sense of community at Fordham.  I was in NYC three weeks ago and randomly met a girl from Fordham at a bar.  We ended up talking all night about law school and Fordham in particular.  She was more helpful than the sstudent panel, especially since she wasn't from NYC, was always a day student, and was deciding between similar schools that I am.  I agree that they should have tried harder to get more diversity on the panel.  I can't believe that no one had done a clinic on the panel.  If they are number 12 in the country, you would think that this is something they would want to emphasize (or at least talk to) in a student panel. 

One way that the visit was particularly beneficial was doing the tour of McMahon Hall.  Pre-ASD, I had convinced myself that despite living on my own for seven years, the apartment search in NYC was too daunting and time consuming, so I could be perfectly happy living in the dorms.  i didn't realize that you had to live on the same floor as the undergrads, and the actual look and feel of the apartments was way too dorm for me to be comfortable. I'm a little concerned about how I'm going to find an apartment, but i'm sure I'll figure something out.

RUMike

• I switched it up with a self tar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2007, 10:39:11 AM »
I had been to another ASW at Fordham in January and I came back to make sure I was making the right decision. I still got a good vibe and I'd agree a more diverse panel would have been great but I overall I thought it was still pretty helpful. The one thing that bothered me about the dorms was the guest policy, but they were still pretty decently sized considering the NYC location.

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
Tuttipoopoo--

Upon arriving back home, I talked to a bunch of my friends who have lived in NYC, live there now, or have friends or family live there (it's been a productive morning).  What I hear, is that Brooklyn is awesome, has a good community feel (which might be good for me, as I'm slightly overwhelmed by Manhattan), and is significantly cheaper.  I also heard that the commute isn't that bad either.  As far as the social aspect, I think we'll have plently of opportunities with all the social events it sound like they have. 

All this being said, I've never been to Brooklyn, but it's definitely on my radar now.

I also have a friend who lives with her boyfriend on the Upper East Side (I think 91st between third and lex if that makes sense).  She has a one bedroom walk up in a great neighborhood that she says they got a great deal on through a broker (of course, her boyfriend is a stockbroker--so that might make good deal a bit different than that of a student).  So that might be another area I will check out (but I bet the commute would be a huge pain).

basal

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »
My only regret is that I didn't meet more of you guys.  :) Orangie, tl, miss celies blues and I were sitting in the middle of the auditorium during the mock class (again, very cool ppl).

I left Fordham thinking, "If I work hard here then I can't go wrong." And I agree with some of the posts here- that mock class was terrible. Some of the answers/questions were terrible.

For you guys interested in Fordham, there are a lot of good-looking women here. I definitely noticed.  :)

tobias

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2007, 02:43:27 PM »
Totally agree with you Kitty.  I was pretty much settled on the dorms, but after visiting I've changed my mind.  I just can't see myself reverting to a freshman year of college setting.  Freshman started to annoy me by the end of college, and now I'm sure it'd be even worse. 

I'll also admit that the 3 to a bathroom thing bothers me.  I've had my own bathroom now for 4 years and it's something I've gotten used to.  Obviously with NYC's high cost of living that might not be an option any longer, but still thought I'd whine about it here.

Anyone considering finding a one bedroom?  I was told by a student that if you long and hard enough you can find something for about 1300-1400 a month, which is about how much the dorms are.  Not sure how possible this actually is, but I'm going to give it a shot.  I just hope this won't affect the whole making friends and not being anti-social thing...

Check out Morningside Heights, the neighborhood around Columbia. It's a nice neighborhood and a quick trip to school on the 1 (15-20 minutes depending on your stop). I have a one bedroom for $1425 (I have lived here for four years and the rent went up for the first time for this coming renewal, from $1350). If you are coming from out of town and have a limited amount of time to find something, I would recommend using a broker.

My friends in the dorm are satisfied with the facilities but they find it somewhat infantilizing.

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2007, 03:24:49 PM »
I didn't recognize any of you there except MCB, who always seemed to be talking in a group or on her sidekick (haha I sound so stalkerish but I was sitting near you in the beginning).  I was planning to say hi but didn't see you again.

lmao  :D....sitting near me in the beginning?  you mean when I first came in or what?  you shoulda said hi!!!!

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2007, 06:52:59 AM »
.For you guys interested in Fordham, there are a lot of good-looking women here. I definitely noticed.  :)

Not to turn this into some sort of high school thread, but this is absolutely true. I've visted some other schools, and the attactiveness of the females stood out. Of course, this isn't a factor in deciding if i wanted to go to the "friendly law school", but, it's an added bonus. I can't really speak to the dudes, although, I would say that most weren't horribly ugly or anything.

It was totally awesome meeting the LSD folks and everyone I met (non-LSDers included) seemed like interesting people. I was concerned about the "stiff" factor.

I liked that they tried hard: It was both reassuring and unintentionally funny (Fordham grads are on the same level as a Harvard grad in NYC). If money wasn't involved, I could see myself there, however, money is involved and they aren't giving me any and NYC is PRICEY. I'm still kind of mixed.

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2007, 06:55:40 AM »
BTW... if I were Fordham I would NOT have the assiociate dean of whatever talk to the incoming students. He rambled on and on about him making a decision to work in the admissions office, and it really didn't pertain to us (although, Fordham does sound like a fabulous place to work). Plus, he kept interjecting into the Career Services presentation with unfunny quips. Annoying.