Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would you consider Texas Tech to have a national reputation?  (Read 4168 times)

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would you consider Texas Tech to have a national reputation?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:09:13 PM »
If you get a J.D. from a school with the word "Tech" in its name, you're sort of screwed for life.

Whew, that gives me the all clear for Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University then!

rickster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:11:12 PM »
If you get a J.D. from a school with the word "Tech" in its name, you're sort of screwed for life.

Well played.
Washington and Lee '10

LSN

SuzyQ06

• Sr. Citizen
  • I spy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »
I'm a 1L at Tech currently.  No, I would not consider this a national school.  It is highly regional.  Most grads here go to Dallas or somewhere in West Texas.  A smattering go to other locations. 

I do feel that Tech's rep is growing and improving.  That being said, I believe that there is a ceiling to its reputation because of its location.  Lubbock isn't exactly close to anything. 

If you, or anyone else, have questions about Tech, post them or PM me.  I'd love to talk someone into coming. 

Before I decided to come here, I had a horrible opinion of Tech in general.  That completely changed when I talked to professors, visited the school, met the students, and heard about the education I will receive.  I have no doubts about my employability at graduation (I'm probably around top 40% right now, and I network well). 

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 08:04:59 AM »
I'm sure it's a great school, but you can't go to Tech with illusions that you're going to end up in NYC.  Dallas, Midland, New Mexico, even Houston - sure.  NYC, not really.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:06:43 AM »
Heres what I think about TT:

"TT is in Lubbock.  Lubbock is a giant rotting shithole"

HTH

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 10:14:34 AM »
I'm sure it's a great school, but you can't go to Tech with illusions that you're going to end up in NYC.  Dallas, Midland, New Mexico, even Houston - sure.  NYC, not really.

titcr. Although, I must add Austin (and even San Antonio) to the list of places for potential employment. I know a TON of Tech grads here. If you want to stay in or around Texas, you'll do just fine coming from Tech.

Heres what I think about TT:

"TT is in Lubbock.  Lubbock is a giant rotting shithole"

HTH

Unfortunately, this is also tcr.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
As a non-Texan, "Lubbock" sounds far too much like "lummox" for me to believe that it could produce lawyers of competence.

:D

legaldad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 03:07:03 PM »
As a transplanted Texan via Philly, Pittsburgh (Carnegie-Mellon), Chicago (University of Chicago), Detroit, D.C., Atlanta - I am proud to say that competent, intelligent, savvy (and whatever other regional bias one might deflect) lawyers come out of Lubbock and Texas Tech.  Yes, there is intelligent life in flyover America (i.e., the part of America west of the Hudson, outside the Beltway, and east of the San Andreas fault).

legaldad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 09:08:06 PM »
One of my favorite east-of-the-Hudson lawyer hubris stories involved a presumably hick lawyer from Texas, Joe Jamail, who sued Texaco on behalf of Pennzoil for $10 billion in 1985.  The corporate lawyers for Texaco were so enamoured of their own self-importance and competence that they did not bother to ask for a change of venue for the trial from Harris County (Houston), Texas where Pennzoil was headquartered.  Of course, the vaunted corporate lawyers could handle a hick home-grown Texas lawyer like Joe Jamail (who graduated from UT Law School) on his home turf.  Well, Texaco ultimately had to pay Pennzoil $3 billion for that case of hubris (with Joe Jamail's cut being $335 million).

Fast forward to 1995 when another hick, incompetent Houston lawyer, Mark Lanier (and graduate of Texas Tech Law School) won the first Vioxx case in America (with a $253 million verdict).  Lawyers like Joe Jamail and Mark Lanier must thank their lucky stars when they have the opportunity to face opposing counsel who have an inflated opinion of their legal talents and law school pedigrees.

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 01:09:38 AM »
OMG that is hilarious