Law School Discussion

Biglaw in San Diego

Re: Biglaw in San Diego
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 04:44:49 PM »
so, do you guys think that i would have a better shot at biglaw (in LA or SD) by going to say, loyola, instead of usd?

Well, since you put it that way, and given my analysis.. I would have to say yes you probably would be more likely to land a Big Law job in LA out of Loyola than USD.  But for the same reason you would be more likely to land a Big Law job in San Diego out of USD.

Going to Loyola, you would be in very close proximity to the LA firms, allowing you to network with these professionals.  If you went to USD you would be networking with San Diego professionals.  Unless you wanted to drive the 90 mmiles to south LA to network which I highly doubt.

If your goal is LA, then go to LA schools.  If you are impartial to LA or San Diego, then USD seems like a good choice.

Graduating from USD, if you cannot find a job in San Diego, all you have to do is get in your car and drive 90 miles north to the second largest legal market in the US.

well yea, ideally i would like to work in LA, but the problem with that is, right now, based on my practice LSAT score and my GPA, i doubt i can get into USC or UCLA.  So i would be attending the 3rd best school in the area. that is why i was wondering if going to USD, the best school in a much smaller area, would be better to get a biglaw job.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »
so, do you guys think that i would have a better shot at biglaw (in LA or SD) by going to say, loyola, instead of usd?

Well, since you put it that way, and given my analysis.. I would have to say yes you probably would be more likely to land a Big Law job in LA out of Loyola than USD.  But for the same reason you would be more likely to land a Big Law job in San Diego out of USD.

Going to Loyola, you would be in very close proximity to the LA firms, allowing you to network with these professionals.  If you went to USD you would be networking with San Diego professionals.  Unless you wanted to drive the 90 mmiles to south LA to network which I highly doubt.

If your goal is LA, then go to LA schools.  If you are impartial to LA or San Diego, then USD seems like a good choice.

Graduating from USD, if you cannot find a job in San Diego, all you have to do is get in your car and drive 90 miles north to the second largest legal market in the US.

well yea, ideally i would like to work in LA, but the problem with that is, right now, based on my practice LSAT score and my GPA, i doubt i can get into USC or UCLA.  So i would be attending the 3rd best school in the area. that is why i was wondering if going to USD, the best school in a much smaller area, would be better to get a biglaw job.

If you don't care if that Big Law job is in San Diego, then I would say USD would do you nicely.. this is all just my opinion.. I have no real anecdotal situations to pull from.. just pure analysis.

If you are hard up for a LA big law job then Loyola would be better... But if you dont care, and just want any Big law job, and the easier to get Big law the better, then go to USD, because it is the highest ranked school in San Diego.. But again, this is only my opinion based on pure analysis..

Anyone else have evidence to the contrary?

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »

If you don't care if that Big Law job is in San Diego, then I would say USD would do you nicely.. this is all just my opinion.. I have no real anecdotal situations to pull from.. just pure analysis.

If you are hard up for a LA big law job then Loyola would be better... But if you dont care, and just want any Big law job, and the easier to get Big law the better, then go to USD, because it is the highest ranked school in San Diego.. But again, this is only my opinion based on pure analysis..

Anyone else have evidence to the contrary?
yea, thats what i figured too. But then i started looking at different law firms in SD and LA, and found that SD hardly has any law firms that can be considered big, which is why I was confused.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 05:08:07 PM »
how many would a firm have to have to be considered big in your opinion?

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »
idk, i guess i mean biglaw, which is what, usually over 75 or sumthin like that?

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 05:48:01 PM »
san diego isn't a major legal market like Los Angeles, and San Fran.. San Diego is comparable to Denver, or Dallas without Fort Worth..

San Diego has enough big firms seeing that it is not a major legal market and it only has 3 mil or so people.

But you should note that California has two major legal markets in the state.  Not many states can say this.  Los Angeles, and San Fran combined is HUGE.  If you go to a good Cali school then you have chances at all of these markets. 

But again, USD is in a smaller market.. but the data is comparable to Dallas which has a comparable population.

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 05:53:58 PM »
idk, i guess i mean biglaw, which is what, usually over 75 or sumthin like that?

I don't think 75 is considered BigLaw.  I'm pretty sure that's still medium.  I think BigLaw is at least a couple hundred employees.

I could very well be wrong, but don't believe I am.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 05:55:06 PM »
Anyone have a breakdown of what different sized firms in SD pay, on average?

Like 5-10 employee firms. 10-50. 50-100. 100+.

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »
san diego isn't a major legal market like Los Angeles, and San Fran.. San Diego is comparable to Denver, or Dallas without Fort Worth..

San Diego has enough big firms seeing that it is not a major legal market and it only has 3 mil or so people.

But you should note that California has two major legal markets in the state.  Not many states can say this.  Los Angeles, and San Fran combined is HUGE.  If you go to a good Cali school then you have chances at all of these markets. 

But again, USD is in a smaller market.. but the data is comparable to Dallas which has a comparable population.

Dallas is the 5th largest metro in the US with close to 6M people. San Diego ranks 18th with 2.9M. They aren't close in population.

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
San Diego has three law schools all vying for a few new associate positions.  Jobs are totally coveted here. As a San Diego resident I see its pretty hard for new graduates to land a job here.  And not to sound harsh but if us San Diegans have a hard time landing a job here it would be really hard for someone who went to college out of state.  It's easier said than done to go to law school in Chicago and think you will move to San Diego and land a job out here.  Not an easy feat.