Law School Discussion

Biglaw in San Diego

Biglaw in San Diego
« on: March 20, 2007, 09:57:08 PM »
One of the places im interested in goin to school is USD.  And I realize that if i go here, most likely i will end up workin in SD.  However, my question is, why isn't there that many Big Law firms in SD? It is one of the 10 largest cities in the country population wise, yet cities like SF and Miami have way more Big Law firms than SD does.  With that said, the second part of my question is, how hard is it to get into Biglaw in SD? I've heard it is a very tight legal market, so what would it take to get into a good sized firm (assuming I went to USD)

keelee

• View Profile
Re: Biglaw in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 10:13:10 PM »
If we all went my city proper, than El Paso would be bigger than Boston and Miami.

You have go by metro, and it becomes clear why Atlanta, San Fran, Miami, etc. have more BigLaw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_metropolitan_area

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:48:40 PM »
well either way, its still one of the larger cities in the country, so why is there so few large law firms?

keelee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 11:34:07 PM »
well either way, its still one of the larger cities in the country, so why is there so few large law firms?

Depends on your defintion of large. One of the largest, yes, but with a population of less than 3M, it isn't some huge or mega metro area like NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, Miami, etc.

If you come from somewhere like, say, Birmingham or Louisville, then San Diego might seem like a "huge" city. To someone from NYC or LA, San Diego is a tiny city.

Also, it's proximity to Los Angeles hurts it alot, just like Philadelphia's proximity to NYC hurts it. It is in LA's shadow.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:36:18 AM »
yeah SD isn't an easy market to crack

i have a friend who is a 2L at USD. she finisehd #9 in her class after 1L year and was still unable to find employment with a firm in SD ...

undoubtedly a beautiful place to go to school, but you will probably have to look elsewhere for law firm employment ...

Can anyone else confirm this?  It sounds very hard to believe, and contrary to what I've heard. 

I know the SD market is tight, but I cannot imagine someone in the top 5% of the class being unable to find a job unless s/he has the personality of a door, and thus can't interview.

Top 5% anywhere should put you right in at the best firms in a school's regional market.

sno

• run from this law bitches
    • AOL Instant Messenger - snobord99999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 09:30:25 AM »

Two words: Los Angeles. Large firms in Southern Cal don't need two offices so most anyone will pick to put their office in LA instead of SD.

As far as the guy who says his friend was #9 in her class and still couldn't get a job, I don't know who you're talking about but I'll say that I would venture a guess and say that she's not the best interviewee in the world. From my observations, the top 10% here don't really have a problem getting interviews. An interview, in reality, is the real challenge to getting a job and if you can get just that, then you have a solid shot at the job. Thus, if you don't get it, it's probably because the interview didn't go as well as it should have.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »
I'm also interested in possibly practicing in SD.  But it looks like I'll be going to either Chicago or Penn.  Do these schools get recognition out there?  I'm sure they don't bother to do OCIs, but would getting an interview be difficult?

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »
What about south LA in Orange county?  That is only like 92 miles north of San Diego.

If you ask me, if you go to any of T2 and up schools in San Diego, or LA, then you have a good shot at the LA big firms.

LA has a 13 million people metropolis, and San Diego has a 3 million metropolis.

That is over 16 million people that you are serving with schools like:

1. UCLA
2. USC
3. USD
4. Loyola
5. Pepperdine

Then the many T3 and T4's..

So we can see that we have essentially 5 schools that are feeding into a 16 million person market.

That is almost 3 million per school. 

Of course there are other schools that will feed into the market, just because it is LA.

But still..

Another thing that is very good about schools like USD is that they are in close proximity to people that are wealthy.  Wealthy people are able to afford legal services more often.  they probably need them more often too..

And California coastal cities such as San Diego, San Fran, and LA, and maybe even San Jose.. have a higher concentration of the wealthy...this is due to the weather/beaches.. which give these cities high costs of living..  which only the wealthy can afford. 

Now, LA is a HUGE legal market, and given that San Diego is in such close proximity to LA, then we can essentially combine these markets into a single market.  Excluding San Fran because it is not within commuting distance, it is 5-6 hours from LA.

All of these factors make LA and USD prime locations for law practice and law school.
IMO

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 04:08:17 PM »
so, do you guys think that i would have a better shot at biglaw (in LA or SD) by going to say, loyola, instead of usd?

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »
so, do you guys think that i would have a better shot at biglaw (in LA or SD) by going to say, loyola, instead of usd?

Well, since you put it that way, and given my analysis.. I would have to say yes you probably would be more likely to land a Big Law job in LA out of Loyola than USD.  But for the same reason you would be more likely to land a Big Law job in San Diego out of USD.

Going to Loyola, you would be in very close proximity to the LA firms, allowing you to network with these professionals.  If you went to USD you would be networking with San Diego professionals.  Unless you wanted to drive the 90 mmiles to south LA to network which I highly doubt.

If your goal is LA, then go to LA schools.  If you are impartial to LA or San Diego, then USD seems like a good choice.

Graduating from USD, if you cannot find a job in San Diego, all you have to do is get in your car and drive 90 miles north to the second largest legal market in the US.