Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU 2L taking questions  (Read 3446 times)

JuanTwoThree

• Sr. Citizen
  • Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
Re: NYU 2L taking questions
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 07:15:49 PM »
Will NYU match a Chicago scholarship? Do finalists for those scholarship programs get any $ if they lose? When are fin-aid decisions made?

Ted Buckland, ESQ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Leverage??... Torts??...Ruth Bader who???
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 07:20:47 PM »
Nope. Barely anybody said anything. The biggest reaction tends to be "ha. screw columbia"

Haha, the typical laid back NYU student response.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 09:47:20 PM »
Will NYU match a Chicago scholarship? Do finalists for those scholarship programs get any $ if they lose? When are fin-aid decisions made?

I really can't speak generally about scholarship stuff. People almost never talk about it. The only way you can tell who has one is by the scholarship banquets etc.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2007, 09:49:33 PM »
I'm coming up for adimitted students day this weekend. Where are the good Thursday drink specials?

Well, my favorite happy hour place is 1849 - on bleecker street. 20 cent Wings and 2.50 beers during happy hour. I am not sure what the times actually are. On my admitted students day some of the students who were there took some of us out to a bar afterwards. Go do that if it happens, good way to meet people. (Plus you can get straight answers if the students are drunk).

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2007, 09:09:08 PM »
bump

Glannon

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2007, 11:22:07 PM »

1) They may partially match the Chicago scholarship.  I doubt they will give you a full match.
2) This is a guess, but if you don't get a named scholarship you may get a Dean's scholarship anyways.
3) My financial aid package came in Mid-April.

Glannon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2007, 11:42:06 PM »
I too am looking for reasons to attend NYU. I've narrowed down my decision to three schools(barring a CLS/SLS acecptance): Chicago/NYU/Boalt. When I think of going to school at Boalt or NYU I get excited and look forward to being there and going to school. When I think of Chicago I think that it is the best school but I dont look forward to being there or going there. I just get a dreary picture in my mind.

Can you give me some words to make things a little easier.
What is your speciic cocnern about NYU that makes you think Chicago is a better school?

Also, what do you want to do when you graduate?

Placement, prestige, clerkships/academia seem better at Chicago. I would most likely work in a firm doing IP related work (EE UG).

Dood you are my alter ego.  I'm an EE major too and my final decision was between Berkeley/Chicago/NYU.  I visited all three schools and decided on NYU.  You really should visit all the schools and decide which one is a better fit for you.  After visiting NYU, it became plainly obvious that if I was going to spend three years in one place, downtown NYC was the place to be.  On the other hand, if I was married and had kids I would go to Chicago.

BTW Since you're an EE major I wouldn't worry about finding a firm job coming from NYU.  As a 1L, I had so many interview offers that I was actually turning down interviews.

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• Sr. Citizen
  • please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2007, 12:57:29 AM »
Hey Glannon, another EE thinking of NYU

What firms and where did you interview (NY, Cali) for 1L? Did you need geographic ties or just mail bomb likely firms? Did they look for grades before offering?

PM me with info if you're more comfortable with that.

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2007, 04:11:51 AM »
I'm coming up for adimitted students day this weekend. Where are the good Thursday drink specials?

Well, my favorite happy hour place is 1849 - on bleecker street. 20 cent Wings and 2.50 beers during happy hour. I am not sure what the times actually are. On my admitted students day some of the students who were there took some of us out to a bar afterwards. Go do that if it happens, good way to meet people. (Plus you can get straight answers if the students are drunk).

Also, because you're asking about Thurs. night specifically, 1849 does nickel drafts with any appetizer all Thurs night. It's a great deal, all the appetizers are X.95, so you can get nachos and a pint of whatever you like for 4 bucks.
DeVry Tech '10

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2007, 08:13:17 AM »
Do any of you live on campus?  How strict are they with the guest policy?  It says you're only allowed guests 7 days out of every 30, but between my sister and bf that might be too restrictive.  Also, do you always have to get guest passes or is that just the stated policy?  Thanks!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn