Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How askew is LSN?  (Read 1104 times)

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
How askew is LSN?
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
I know LSN runs higher than normal acceptance figures for a number of reasons. But it seems like almost everyone accepted is well above the median.

So just HOW far off do you think it is for a given school?
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

ouchitburns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How askew is LSN?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:29:37 PM »
tag for people who may have actually done statistical analysis of this!

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:48:04 PM »
Above what median? The median displayed in magazines/websites only shows students attending. You expect the admitted medians to be a lot higher for most schools except Yale/Harvard (since better students will choose a better school)

Though I still think self selection does skew the numbers on LSN up a bit

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 05:01:19 PM »
yeah. exactly. when you look at the ATTENDING median numbers that are published by the school or ABA or US News you're not looking at the ACCEPTED median numbers. A school will have to accept many more people at the 75th percentile than the 25th percentile to have the numbers stay that way. So I'm not sure the numbers are that skewed in terms of acceptances.

The way it IS skewed is that there are far more high number applicants on LSN than there are low number applicants, but that shouldn't alter the median numbers all that much.

nonunique

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »
In conversation with deans at GW and WashU, they both mentioned that the number of high-end applicants is up (WashU said 25%) this year. That shouldn't necessarily skew admits, but it is a skew nonetheless.
Attending: NU($)!!!
In: UVa($), GW, WUSL, WF, GM, Cardozo, DePaul($$)
WL: Columbia, Duke, Penn, UCLA, W&M
Out: Harvard, Stanford, Boalt, NYU, GULC, Chicago, Texas, Michigan, UWash, Cornell, UNC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=non

ouchitburns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:14:47 PM »
are the number of high-end applicants up? or are total number of applicants down put high-end applicants make up a larger percentage? or is that a result of the LSAT reporting change, so that a number of applicants that were previously middle-end(?) are now high-end?

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 11:19:48 PM »
i'm not sure, but my guess would be that in GW and WUSL's case they're getting more apps from higher applicants due to their change in rank. People at a certain level are likely to throw GW and WUSL an app to try and get a top 20 acceptance (and not have to go to minnesota). I don't know that there's any real cutoff between 21 and 20 or 19, but GW and WUSL have been hovering right around the 20 mark for a while and just made the under 20 cut.

I don't think these schools will benefit much from this except where they give money... which i think is why GW has been aggressive at giving away money... it'll solidify their position in the top 20.

But maybe i'm just making things up.