Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking class over? Hmmmm  (Read 528 times)

WoooooSTL

• View Profile
Taking class over? Hmmmm
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »
I've got one B- that is weighing down a GPA otherwise vastly dominated by A's and A-'s. I just learned that I can take the class again (Microecon 104, what can I say I bombed my first real college exam). If I take it over again the original course just has a blank by the grade on the transcript and the second course has the actual grade by it.

My question is, would this be worth doing? Will admissions look down on this? It would def be an aid to my GPA (like putting me over the 3.8 mark from the high 3.7s), but I feel like school might see it as too zealous.

Let me know what you think

From rainy STL

-Woooostl

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Taking class over? Hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:29:22 PM »
I'm guessing they won't even be analyzing your transcript that closely to even notice.  If my school had a generous policy like that, I'd definitely do it if it would give a big boost to my GPA.  :) Unless the class is lame...because who wants to do a class they disliked TWICE?  ;)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:31:41 PM »
what is your LSAT (if you have one yet?)
IF you don't mind wasting the credit time I would go ahead and take the class again.  I doubt they would look down upon it. I retook a class I withdrew from f-man year and I don't think it hurt me.  But honestly, if your LSAT is decent a 3.7 is still a great gpa, and micro is a crappy, boring class that you will have to sit through with a bunch of freshmen.  Taking boring freshman-level classes senior year has, at least for me, been a real downer and produced my first B+.  So from one GPA-conscious 0L to another, I would let it be and get As in classes you are actually interested in.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

chonefiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 07:58:32 PM »
Keep in mind that LSAC does not replace grades for retaken classes, it averages them. The best net result you could get (by averaging the two grades, because both will be applied toward your LSAC GPA)is probably a B+, maybe an A- if you aced everthing. Its not going to make much difference. If you have enough credits to retake it and graduate on time, I would relax instead. A B- is no big deal. I can't imagine it being a deal breaker for any of your admissions.

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:03:17 PM »
Keep in mind that LSAC does not replace grades for retaken classes, it averages them. The best net result you could get (by averaging the two grades, because both will be applied toward your LSAC GPA)is probably a B+, maybe an A- if you aced everthing. Its not going to make much difference. If you have enough credits to retake it and graduate on time, I would relax instead. A B- is no big deal. I can't imagine it being a deal breaker for any of your admissions.

How could LSAC do that if the school takes the original grade off the transcript?  My school leaves both & doesn't include the higher one in your GPA, so LSAC could do that to students at my school...but I don't see how LSAC could do that in the OP's position since OP's school omits the info. all together?  ???

danvichgs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 08:07:54 PM »
LSAC definitely does not average if the school removes the prior grade from your transcript. Averaging only takes effect if both grades are still listed in some form or fashion.

rnumiami

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »
I had the same experience in which I retook a class and my school only counted the higher grade towards my cum GPA.  But, when my transcripts were sent to LSAC, it showed the grades from both times and LSAC averaged the two together.  I spoke to the registrar after that happened and was advised that they couldn't remove it from my transcripsts but that they themselves could choose to use the higher grade.  Wasnt worth the headache in the long run.
Emory '10

WoooooSTL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »
Hmmm, then it might be worth doing just internally for the school, to keep me in that Summa range....regardless of LSAC.

Credit wise I will be okay to take, I'm rather ahead.