Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad Credit.. and you can't sit for the bar?  (Read 872 times)

NOOONE999

• View Profile
Bad Credit.. and you can't sit for the bar?
« on: March 20, 2007, 06:15:03 PM »
I don't have horrible  credit.. my credit is fair. When I was 18 I got a credit card and of course I used it for anything I wanted (I never thought I would be going to law school at this time). Then a couple years ago I decided to use a debt consolidation company to help clear the debt, it was only 3,500 but at that time it seemed like alot. I was told that not only will that show up on my report for 6 years but that I might not be able to sit for the bar exam?!!! Is this true?!!! I haven't paid all of it off I have some left but it will def. be paid by next year.
HELP. Is anyone else in this situation? Or know anything about the BAR?

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Credit.. and you can't sit for the bar?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:12:32 PM »
Debt consolidation is usually fine.  The time you get into issues if if you declare bankruptcy or were more than 120+ days late.  Having a issue a few years ago, getting help to pay it off, and living clean for a few years probably won't hurt you.  And if questioned about it, you can say you've learned your lesson and have been financially responsible for the past X years.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:35:26 PM »
Tuttipoopoo had sage advice. Also, do the free credit report thing and see how you're looking these days.

It's not as much as you have debt, but that you're dealing with the debt you have.

Root Hog

• Sr. Citizen
  • The USA PATRIOT Act
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »
I DO have horrible credit and was likewise worried. I called several state bar associations and all assured me that bad credit is no problem if you have addressed the debt. Bankruptcy also is no problem as long as you did not abuse it to avoid debt that you could have paid. All they look for there are court sanctions against you for hiding assets or the like during proceedings. Believe me, $3500 debt is laughable. Where it hurts is I can't get loans past the federal ones, which possibly leaves me unable to attend many of the great schools I've gotten into.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »
I DO have horrible credit and was likewise worried. I called several state bar associations and all assured me that bad credit is no problem if you have addressed the debt. Bankruptcy also is no problem as long as you did not abuse it to avoid debt that you could have paid. All they look for there are court sanctions against you for hiding assets or the like during proceedings. Believe me, $3500 debt is laughable. Where it hurts is I can't get loans past the federal ones, which possibly leaves me unable to attend many of the great schools I've gotten into.

Debt consolidation would take care of that. 

I had the same problem last cycle.  My ex wife was supposed to pay off our cc (she got it in the divorce) but she never made a payment.  I found out when I tried to get a Grad Plus loan from Sallie Mae.  I had to take a year off and settle the debt.  Once the bad debt is gone you become eligible to borrow up to your total cost of attendance.  I would look into it if I were you. 
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 07:43:07 PM »
hey what school do you go to? I see that you're from West Palm Beach.