Law School Discussion

South Carolina ASD....

Re: South Carolina ASD....
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:58 AM »
Yes.  To add to the point, how can we say the American flag doesn't stand for slavery?  Let's abandon this hateful symbol.

Difference being that the American Flag ALSO represents the 13th and 14th Amendment to the constitution, and some attempt to resolve racial injustice. Can you say that for the Confederate flag?

Btw, I was expecting that retort.

I expected you to expect it since your example is wide open to it.  Regardless, who cares about the flag?   At least half the people who wear it/fly it do it only because people keep it relevant by complaining about it.  It is like me and my seatbelt: I would wear it more if big brother would stop telling me I have to.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »
What you fail to realize is I don't care if you wear it or a swastika: Just don't pretend that it doesn't represent a racist/white supremacist ideology--along with other aspects of Southern Heritage--because you choose to ignore or disavow it selectively. In other words, don't piss on my leg then try to tell me it's raining.

Btw, I didn't start this Confederate flag thing,  I'm just responding to statements made to justify the flag. 

Paper Chaser

• http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »
I am quite aware that Lee was from Virginia that being the reason he fought on behalf of the South in the Civil War because it seceded from the Union. To harbor on a point like that is to try to destroy a building by breaking one of its windows. Even though Lee is from Virginia, he is reveled as a champion by those in the South as a rebel, redneck, etc...---take your pick, especially in South Carolina. South Carolina being the birthplace of the Confederacy. What is so hilarious to me is that you guys actually believe the history of the South is something to revel in and be proud of. How about being proud of...I dont know...JUST BEING AN AMERICAN???! If they ship any of us overseas for war or something who will give a damn about Southern Pride? Matter of fact, what person outside the US would even understand the dynamics of someone taking pride in attempting to break up the United States? I guess if Arab Americans starting walking around with shirts of the planes hitting the WTC center saying "Heritage not hate" this would be okay too then? I am just trying to demonstrate how others view the flag, but I understand why it exist. Blacks and whites in this country can now eat generally anywhere, do anything, be anything. However there are two things in this culture that seem to be off limits to one another and it is the word n!gg@r for whites and the confederate flag for blacks. Both sides have embraced these two idiotic things and made them part of their being in this society, and because of this true hate for self and others will not be overcome until both of these things are extinguished. They are relics of a past day much like the people who still glorify them.

On a sidenote you do realize that while the Nazi symbol means one thing to the supposed Aryan nation, it a borrowed symbol from Asiatic culture, where it means something else entirely different?  

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2007, 12:04:45 PM »

On a sidenote you do realize that while the Nazi symbol means one thing to the supposed Aryan nation, it a borrowed symbol from Asiatic culture, where it means something else entirely different?  

Yes, however: When the swastika is placed on the Red/White/black Nazi flag/banner/symbol, what it represents is clear. 

barenakedtjm

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »
That the confederate flag stands for racism is your interpretation.  Period.  My interpretation differs from yours.  The only way we can even have this discussion in absolutes would be to throw out personal prejudices and ask why it was made in the first place -- and the answer is states' rights.

Paper:  You're just being a male private part now.  If you want to see racism as the only element of southern heritage worth talking about, go ahead -- I have nothing further to discuss with you if that's your mentality.  However, if narrow-mindedness is your problem with southern culture in general, I suggest you look in the mirror.  The fact that you take the culture of an enormous sect of people and choose a single aspect while ignoring some things that just might not be all that bad is the very definition of narrow-mindedness.

Paper Chaser

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2007, 12:38:12 PM »
"You want truth...you can't handle the truth!" :D ;) :o

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2007, 12:39:08 PM »
That the confederate flag stands for racism is your interpretation.  Period.  My interpretation differs from yours.  The only way we can even have this discussion in absolutes would be to throw out personal prejudices and ask why it was made in the first place -- and the answer is states' rights.

WRONG!  Did you even read my last post on the subject to you ???  "even you admitted that your Southern pride in your heritage is selective--choosing to conveniently ignore the racist aspect of it that still permeates throughout SC today." Southern states rights consisted of (among other things) slavery and white supremacy.  Quite frankly if after all I have posted on the matter...the only thing you can tell me "throw out personal prejudices."   Then you are SELECTIVELY interpreting my posts.  Just like you are SELECTIVELY choosing the parts of Southern Heritage that appeal to you.  Personal prejudice my ass.   

On top of that, you just upright ignore my question about  resolving this SC racial issue!

barenakedtjm

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2007, 01:04:58 PM »

WRONG!  Did you even read my last post on the subject to you ???  "even you admitted that your Southern pride in your heritage is selective--choosing to conveniently ignore the racist aspect of it that still permeates throughout SC today." Southern states rights consisted of (among other things) slavery and white supremacy.  Quite frankly if after all I have posted on the matter...the only thing you can tell me "throw out personal prejudices."   Then you are SELECTIVELY interpreting my posts.  Just like you are SELECTIVELY choosing the parts of Southern Heritage that appeal to you.  Personal prejudice my ass.   

On top of that, you just upright ignore my question about  resolving this SC racial issue!

Why the hostility?  I'm just talking on a message board, I didn't know I would offend anyone by not addressing every single point.

I don't IGNORE racism or its history -- if I did that I wouldn't be responding in this thread.  I have said several times that I think it's completely deplorable.  What I don't do is take pride in it.  I told you the reasons that I take pride in being southern, and I think they're pretty good reasons if those are the sorts of things that interest you.  Through all of this, it's almost like you're ignoring the fact that slavery existed north of the Mason-Dixon Line too.  And even after that, you're sorely mistaken if you believe that racism stopped after abolition (and if you believe it doesn't exist there today).  You hate SC, I get it.  You don't like the south, I get that too.  But those are personal prejudices.

No, obviously I didn't know that your grandmother is white.  I also don't think that's relevant.  My father is filipino, and he went to The Citadel.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2007, 01:08:41 PM »
Still haven't answered my ORIGINAL question, which was:

"And, if intelligent progressive thinking white people (with similar non racist views as yourself) idly stand by and do or say nothing to the powers that be to improve matters, What hope does SC have against it's more radical racist elements? 

White people clearly have the power in SC.  They are really the ones that can change or not change the status quo.  So where does this leave us?"

Btw, my dislike of SC comes from experience.  I didn't come here with any preconceived notion--or personal prejudice towards South Carolinians.  You need to check the definition of prejudice again. 

Also, your assertion that I don't like the South is incorrect.  I happen to like FL, NC, VA, GA, TX, etc.  Quit assuming!

Paper Chaser

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »
I can enjoy a glass of SWEET TEAAA and a charleston crab cake with the best of them. Still the state has an arrogance about its past like it expects the "South to rise again!"  :)