Law School Discussion

South Carolina ASD....

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: South Carolina ASD....
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »
Yeah, but they hide behind that "Heritage not Hate." justification: When, in fact, a major part of their heritage is hate.  I tell you the good thing about living in South Carolina for me is that it made me tougher than hell.  Absolutely nothing a human being could say or do phases me.

Same here. People often wonder how I got such thick skin...I tell them its a result of living 18 years in SC.

Hey JB, I didn't realize you lived in SC.  I thought you were from DC.  Congrats on making out of SC strong.

Yeah man. I grew up in SC and moved away for college. I still go back during the summers when I have free time (family) and I'm working in SC this summer. Dang, it's good to know you're from SC too. We probably have some interesting stories to share sometime.

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2007, 08:31:19 PM »
I have lived in Charleston, Greenville, Sumter, and Columbia South Carolina.  I have also lived in Blacksburg, VA, Kansas City, and Atlanta.  Of these cities, one could argue that Charleston has the strongest history of racism.  Ironically, I truly believe race relations now are best in Charelston and worst in Kansas City.   

Hey, were you in Charleston about 6 years ago when a few white kids from College of Charleston (I believe) went on a mock hunt for blacks in the woods.  What was so funny was that they carried a boom box--playing rap music as bait.  :D

Look, it is clear you like to presume that whites in SC are racist.  I don't know many here and certainly not more here than other places.  Were you in Long Beach when this happened: http://www.laweekly.com/news/news/long-beach-hate-crime-verdict/15545/

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2007, 08:40:11 PM »
I have lived in Charleston, Greenville, Sumter, and Columbia South Carolina.  I have also lived in Blacksburg, VA, Kansas City, and Atlanta.  Of these cities, one could argue that Charleston has the strongest history of racism.  Ironically, I truly believe race relations now are best in Charelston and worst in Kansas City.   

Hey, were you in Charleston about 6 years ago when a few white kids from College of Charleston (I believe) went on a mock hunt for blacks in the woods.  What was so funny was that they carried a boom box--playing rap music as bait.  :D

Look, it is clear you like to presume that whites in SC are racist.  I don't know many here and certainly not more here than other places.  Were you in Long Beach when this happened: http://www.laweekly.com/news/news/long-beach-hate-crime-verdict/15545/

Look fella...  I didn't come to SC presuming whites are racists.  I lived in SC over 10 years and dealt with enough ignorance and prejudice to last a lifetime.  No racial incident you show me in another state is going to change that.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »
Yeah, but they hide behind that "Heritage not Hate." justification: When, in fact, a major part of their heritage is hate.  I tell you the good thing about living in South Carolina for me is that it made me tougher than hell.  Absolutely nothing a human being could say or do phases me.

Same here. People often wonder how I got such thick skin...I tell them its a result of living 18 years in SC.

Hey JB, I didn't realize you lived in SC.  I thought you were from DC.  Congrats on making out of SC strong.

Yeah man. I grew up in SC and moved away for college. I still go back during the summers when I have free time (family) and I'm working in SC this summer. Dang, it's good to know you're from SC too. We probably have some interesting stories to share sometime.

Mos def, bro, mos def...

Btw, SC is lucky to have you... Hopefully they don't squander your skills with BS.

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2007, 09:03:26 PM »

Look fella...  I didn't come to SC presuming whites are racists.  I lived in SC over 10 years and dealt with enough ignorance and prejudice to last a lifetime.  No racial incident you show me in another state is going to change that.

Suit yourself-SC will be ok without you.  My objective was to offer my opinion that SC is not more racist than other places, primarily for the benefit of people who don't know the state. My other objective was equate your stereotyping of South Carolinians to racism.  You don't seem to care to deny that and that's fine by me because you have said enough to expose yourself.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2007, 09:22:19 PM »

Suit yourself-SC will be ok without you.  My objective was to offer my opinion that SC is not more racist than other places, primarily for the benefit of people who don't know the state. My other objective was equate your stereotyping of South Carolinians to racism.  You don't seem to care to deny that and that's fine by me because you have said enough to expose yourself.

I know exactly what you’re doing, and quite frankly, it's not even original.  You can try that" you stereotyping South Carolinians is the same as racism" crap on some other slave.  I'm emancipated from that second-guessing myself psychological BS.  My experiences are what they are...take it or leave it.  Obviously though, I'm not the only one. 

Furthermore, you offered your opinion and I offer mine.  I'm sure people are smart enough to make their own decision based on their own due diligence.

barenakedtjm

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2007, 12:49:31 AM »
I can't believe that obviously intelligent people can come to this forum and label an entire state as racist, ignorant, and whatever else some of y'all are trying to get across.  Racism exists everywhere, but not in everyone.  Not even in that hellhole, South Carolina.

K-Bomb

• You = Gatorbait.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2007, 02:59:27 AM »
Racism is certainly more of a birthright in the deep south than in other regions of the U.S.  I'm glad that Florida, even North Florida, has generally escaped this mindset, and true racism will get you socially outcasted, fast. 

That's not saying Florida doesn't have its share of racism (from and to ALL ethnic groups), but the diversity forces everyone to deal with and try to defeat their own prejudices, which is a very admirable and healthy thing.

Paper Chaser

• http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2007, 03:34:01 AM »
Lets not be fools. Of course every person in the good ol boy state of south carolina is not a racist. However, you are denying history, the educational-political conditions and affliations, and the overall societal mores and ethos of this state's culture if you can honestly sit here and believe that the majority of South Carolinians are not racist in their beliefs regarding the world around them. I can only imagine some of the things said about immigrants---legal and illegal. Have you ever noticed the most a$$ backwards states, those not very cultured or diversified tend to lag in educational polls and financial revenues made in the state? I am from Charlotte, NC, and more than half of my family is from South Carolina orginally. I cannot speak for the entire US, but almost anyone from a diverse area is always flabbergasted at the blatant racism and veil that seems to be over everyone's eyes down here because they 1) GREW UP HERE, AND THEY DONT KNOW ANY BETTER or 2) REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE WRONG AROUND THEM BECAUSE THEY FEEL IT IS A REFLECTION OF THEMSELVES. If someone from another country thought that because I was an American that I supported Bush, I couldn't really do anything but demonstrate AS I HAVE BEFORE that all Americans do not share these values, or lack thereof. However even this argument presents a gaping fallacy because most politicians seldomly lose the popular vote of the electorate in municipal/state/ elections and are still given the office, i.e. Bush. But on the another note if Christian fundalmentalists, strom thurmond being elected to basically his point of death, and that Bob whatever college can still exist (the college bans interracial dating, yes even in 2007) how can you actually think that most people wouldn't think this about South Carolina. What is South Carolina known for besides Robert E Lee,the Citadel,and the stars and bars? Honestly, the problems of cronyism, ignorance, and poverty are so deeply tangled in the heart of this state I really pity children who have to grow up with this type of Richard Wright script of a life, because when people re-elect racists time and time again on some level they must identify with him/her.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2007, 06:36:09 AM »
Right...

I always find it humorous that some people try to use these absolute arguments when it comes to racism. The truth is the system in South Carolina is biased and corrupt to the core. 

Just on a personal note.  SC is the only state that I've experience random white people walking in front of your path when you're walking on the side walk to try to force you to walk around them.  I can't count the amount of white people I've bumped into because of that crap... This is just a minor example of the pervasive white supremacist mentality here in good ol' SC.  Does that mean that every white person does that...of course not...no one's making an absolute argument here...What I am saying is that I've met MORE ignorant and prejudice people in SC than any of the 15 other states I've been to.  It's really that simple.