Law School Discussion

OSU/10k Vs. Depaul/45k?

Re: OSU/10k Vs. Depaul/45k?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 08:33:28 AM »
No, I didn't go to undergrad at OSU (I actually went to OU in Athens, Ohio--which is also gorgeous, by the way--and great for a day hiking trip from C-bus!), but I worked in Columbus for a bit over a year and my boyfriend is a graduate (2006) of OSU law.  TraciRai is right about it feeling safe, and especially right about Victorian Village.  That's where I lived, and I HIGHLY recommend it.  The homes are beautiful, it's very close to Goodale Park (a large park for jogging, reading, etc. with a fun music festival in the summer), and walking distance to the Short North--lots of great restaurants, bars, shops...  I very rarely drove anywhere--I biked or walked to my job downtown everyday, and you could do the same to campus.  Rent was reasonable--about $550/month for a small 1-bedroom to myself (utilities included).  Feel free to ask me any questions about Columbus that you'd like; I could also field some questions through my boyfriend if you have OSU law-specific questions.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 10:03:29 AM »
Def OSU.

Depaul is MABYE the tenth best school that places a significant chunk of its grads in Chicago.

In addition to UC, NW, Loyola, and Kent, you also have UIUC and IOWA who both have Chicago as their primary market, and Indiana-B, Notre Dame, and perhaps even Wash U placing a large portion of their class into Chicago (although all have other cities that pull a large portion as well). 

If you want a good job coming out of DePaul, you better finish at the top of your class.

OSU places into multiple large cities (Ohio is home to multiple fairly large seperate markets), and faces no competition from better schools, and only Case as a peer.  Sure there is some money difference, but OSU seems like the better bet.

Is the money at both promised over 3 years, or do you have to meet certain GPA/class rank levels?

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
I've been brutally honest up to this point and I want to clarify this while I'm at it:

DePaul / Loyola / Kent are more or less equal. Now, there are some ppl who say "DePaul is a little behind the others"... but word-of-mouth is slow-to-change. DePaul's median LSAT was 154 in 2002 and 160 in 2006 --- it might still be shaking off its rep from five yrs ago.

On the same note, some partners at my firm will say that KENT is behind both Loyola and DePaul (like is was some 15 yrs ago or more?)

But when you look at placement, they are all close. That being said there's a lot of competition and people are just being biased if they're telling you that one of these three will clearly look better on paper than the others when you get out of law school in 3 years. 

If I had to project a brighter future for any of them I'd go with Kent but that's a guess...

END RANT

Back to the other schools having an edge in Chicago --- if you look at the biglaw placement numbers, yep, students from Indiana, U of I, Wisconsin, Iowa, MN, Notre Dame etc. ought to have an advantage over those with the same class ranks from the 3 chicago T2's. I would think OSU qualifies as being on the same relative level as all those schools.

As to your question, if I got into OSU would I take it over DePaul?

That's a good question. And I probably would not, as I don't know too much about Columbus except OSU is this huge college campus. I don't have a compelling reason to go there. There is only one OSU grad I know at my firm and he's about old enough to be my dad... I dunno you can probably still have an edge in Chicago (?) but it might be more difficult with so many OSU alumni going to a number of other significant markets.

Chicago has such a nice downtown too ;D

gratif

• 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »
If you are like me, that 45K scholarship is contingent on a 3.3, which is somewhere around the top 15% of the class.

Also, factor in cost of living in Chicago vs. Colombus, and the decision gets easier.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 05:43:52 PM »