Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami vs Stetson... but more than that  (Read 1819 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Miami vs Stetson... but more than that
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 02:58:05 PM »
ILRG and LSAC report that Stetson and Miami have following employment stats:

Stetson
@ Graduation - 52.6%
@ 9 Months - 95.4%
Median Public Starting - $39,825
Median Private Starting - $60,000

Miami
@ Graduation - 65.4%
@ 9 Months - 92.2%
Median Public Starting - $37,950
Median Private Starting - $79,390

Stetson seems to be a little behind @ graduation, but @ 9 months they are fairly even.  Miami is obviously ahead in the private starting salary, but since it will be somewhat cheaper to live in Tampa I'm not all that concerned.

Are these numbers wrong?  Not that I'm disputing information by other posters, but the employment sitaution @ Stetson doesn't seem to be as terribly bleak as I may have been led to believe.

Obviously, Miami is more expensive, but Tampa is no longer the bargain it was 5 years ago. Real estate prices have gone WAAAAAAAAAY up and even 60K would put you in the lower end of the middle class if you have a one-income family.

My roommate right now is a pharma sales rep. She makes 55K and still can't find a single condo or townhouse that she can afford to buy in an area that is convenient to Downtown. Even the stuff in New Tampa, New Port Richey, Land O' Lakes and Lutz is out of her reach.

What about palces like Riverside and Brandon?  These seem to be nice new areas (though admittedly not cerntrally located), with ammenities and cheap condo/home prices, all relatively new (past 2-3 years).  Are these areas decent?  Just curious.

I have seen that the average house price has climbed nearly 50% since 2000, but I hope to get into the market soon and let it get as ridiculous as it wants :)  Seriously though, I understand it isn't the deal it used to be, but it is still a deal compared to many places to live in North America.  I live near Toronto now, where the average price of a home is nearly $400,000.  Compare that to Tampa @ less than $200,000, it's a bargain. Also, my wife is a professional who will make near the $100,000 mark, so the deal is sweetened.

What about those areas mentioned though?

I would never live in those areas. These are bad neighborhoods, with terrible schools and nothing to do. Moreover, with Tampa traffic battling Atlanta for notoriety, you're looking at nasty commutes to just about anywhere.

BTW, you must have old numbers. You will not find anything in the city of Tampa that's worth living in for $200,000 or less. It's more likely in Bradon, but still exceptionally unlikely. Two bedroom townhouses are going for about 250K+ in any area that isn't dangerous.

I lived in Brandon for almost 5 years and it's definitely not a bad neighborhood, nor are all the schools in those areas bad. There are actually some areas that have schools that are quite good, and others that are bad- just like anywhere else in Tampa. Plus, it's not necessarily that much harder to get to downtown Tampa from Brandon as it is from North Tampa. I'd say that it probably took me the same amount of time from both because traffic in Dale Mabry is so bad. Also, prices are not that bad. I don't know what your idea of "dangerous" is- but there are plenty of neighborhoods that are okay where you can get a townhome for much, much less than that.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 03:08:08 PM »

Stetson
@ Graduation - 52.6%
@ 9 Months - 95.4%

Miami
@ Graduation - 65.4%
@ 9 Months - 92.2%

Stetson seems to be a little behind @ graduation, but @ 9 months they are fairly even.  Miami is obviously ahead in the private starting salary, but since it will be somewhat cheaper to live in Tampa I'm not all that concerned.

Are these numbers wrong?  Not that I'm disputing information by other posters, but the employment sitaution @ Stetson doesn't seem to be as terribly bleak as I may have been led to believe.

Obviously, Miami is more expensive, but Tampa is no longer the bargain it was 5 years ago. Real estate prices have gone WAAAAAAAAAY up and even 60K would put you in the lower end of the middle class if you have a one-income family.

My roommate right now is a pharma sales rep. She makes 55K and still can't find a single condo or townhouse that she can afford to buy in an area that is convenient to Downtown. Even the stuff in New Tampa, New Port Richey, Land O' Lakes and Lutz is out of her reach.

What about palces like Riverside and Brandon?  These seem to be nice new areas (though admittedly not cerntrally located), with ammenities and cheap condo/home prices, all relatively new (past 2-3 years).  Are these areas decent?  Just curious.

I have seen that the average house price has climbed nearly 50% since 2000, but I hope to get into the market soon and let it get as ridiculous as it wants :)  Seriously though, I understand it isn't the deal it used to be, but it is still a deal compared to many places to live in North America.  I live near Toronto now, where the average price of a home is nearly $400,000.  Compare that to Tampa @ less than $200,000, it's a bargain. Also, my wife is a professional who will make near the $100,000 mark, so the deal is sweetened.

I would never live in those areas. These are bad neighborhoods, with terrible schools and nothing to do. Moreover, with Tampa traffic battling Atlanta for notoriety, you're looking at nasty commutes to just about anywhere.

BTW, you must have old numbers. You will not find anything in the city of Tampa that's worth living in for $200,000 or less. It's more likely in Bradon, but still exceptionally unlikely. Two bedroom townhouses are going for about 250K+ in any area that isn't dangerous.

I lived in Brandon for almost 5 years and it's definitely not a bad neighborhood, nor are all the schools in those areas bad. There are actually some areas that have schools that are quite good, and others that are bad- just like anywhere else in Tampa. Plus, it's not necessarily that much harder to get to downtown Tampa from Brandon as it is from North Tampa. I'd say that it probably took me the same amount of time from both because traffic in Dale Mabry is so bad. Also, prices are not that bad. I don't know what your idea of "dangerous" is- but there are plenty of neighborhoods that are okay where you can get a townhome for much, much less than that.

Well, in my opinion, you have two options in Brandon: either trashy or dangerous. I am not a fan of either. North Tampa is country, but at least it's safe and there are parts that aren't trashy. Furthermore, the problem with Brandon is that you can't use the interstate to get to downtown. I-75 doesn't go there and you have to use either the back roads or the Crosstown Expressway, both of which are a mess. I have a townhouse in Land O' Lakes and can commute to downtown via 275 or Veterans within 15 minutes. As a young professional who would want to bring people into my house from time to time for parties and such, I wouldn't dream about living in Brandon. There's a reason why housing there is much cheaper than the rest of the Tampa area...and that's not because it's a hidden little treasure of a town.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

dante500

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 03:44:16 PM »

Stetson
@ Graduation - 52.6%
@ 9 Months - 95.4%

Miami
@ Graduation - 65.4%
@ 9 Months - 92.2%

Well, in my opinion, you have two options in Brandon: either trashy or dangerous. I am not a fan of either. North Tampa is country, but at least it's safe and there are parts that aren't trashy. Furthermore, the problem with Brandon is that you can't use the interstate to get to downtown. I-75 doesn't go there and you have to use either the back roads or the Crosstown Expressway, both of which are a mess. I have a townhouse in Land O' Lakes and can commute to downtown via 275 or Veterans within 15 minutes. As a young professional who would want to bring people into my house from time to time for parties and such, I wouldn't dream about living in Brandon. There's a reason why housing there is much cheaper than the rest of the Tampa area...and that's not because it's a hidden little treasure of a town.

London Bound, lemme ask yuo this: How long have you been in Tampa?  Where did you attend (I'm too lazy to backtrack to find out)?  Would you have gone elsewhere given what you know now?  Are you permanently in Tampa?  And would you suggest not coming to the Tampa area for the legal market?

Thanks to any answers.
I once told a woman that I coined the phrase "pardon my French."

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 04:33:35 PM »
I'm wondering when is the last time you have been to Brandon?  I live on the Riverview/Brandon line.  My place is nice and quiet ($875 month standard nice/modern gated apt complex...large one bedroom with attached garage) and I can get to downtown in less than 15 minutes via the xtown or the xtown express lanes.  the express lanes are awesome.  there are many new developments including one a mile from me with the most adorable little town centre (and an awesome aveda salon and spa - a gorgeous couple from Miami moved here to open it.. their sister salon in miami is apparently v successful)...the Brandon mall (which i generally hate) is undergoing a revitalization and just opened a Sephora (love).  anyway...Brandon is NOT a bad alternative. 

i thought about moving to s tampa/hyde park area but the traffic around there is incredible as well as the housing prices are obviously, very expensive. 
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 04:39:03 PM »

Stetson
@ Graduation - 52.6%
@ 9 Months - 95.4%

Miami
@ Graduation - 65.4%
@ 9 Months - 92.2%

London Bound, lemme ask yuo this: How long have you been in Tampa?  Where did you attend (I'm too lazy to backtrack to find out)?  Would you have gone elsewhere given what you know now?  Are you permanently in Tampa?  And would you suggest not coming to the Tampa area for the legal market?

Thanks to any answers.

I've lived in Tampa on and off for the last decade.

Went to law school at Berkeley. No, I wouldn't change that.

No, I have am joining a firm in London this fall. I am in Tampa until I move there.

The Tampa legal market is small and, consequently, quite competitive. There are a few big firms, butwith any sort of respectable reputation in primary legal markets. Everything else is basically comprised of small-town divorce, malpractice and general practice firms. I am not interested in joining any Tampa firms. If I ever return to Tampa, it would be to go solo.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »
I'm wondering when is the last time you have been to Brandon?  I live on the Riverview/Brandon line.  My place is nice and quiet ($875 month standard nice/modern gated apt complex...large one bedroom with attached garage) and I can get to downtown in less than 15 minutes via the xtown or the xtown express lanes.  the express lanes are awesome.  there are many new developments including one a mile from me with the most adorable little town centre (and an awesome aveda salon and spa - a gorgeous couple from Miami moved here to open it.. their sister salon in miami is apparently v successful)...the Brandon mall (which i generally hate) is undergoing a revitalization and just opened a Sephora (love).  anyway...Brandon is NOT a bad alternative. 

i thought about moving to s tampa/hyde park area but the traffic around there is incredible as well as the housing prices are obviously, very expensive. 

The last time I was in Brandon was, unfortunately, two days ago. I hate the Brandon mall, and besides that, there's nothing to do in that area. I'd much rather live in the Gunn Hwy/Citrus Park area. At least there are cute little shopping centers, mixed use developments and few rednecks. You can get a much nicer apt there for ~$900.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »

The last time I was in Brandon was, unfortunately, two days ago. I hate the Brandon mall, and besides that, there's nothing to do in that area. I'd much rather live in the Gunn Hwy/Citrus Park area. At least there are cute little shopping centers, mixed use developments and few rednecks. You can get a much nicer apt there for ~$900.

What, exactly, do you consider "nothing to do"? Honestly, Tampa is a big urban sprawl area and I don't think one area is better than any other. It seems to me you just have some snobby ideas of which areas are "cooler" than others that simply is not true. Plus, you're assuming Maka's apartment is crap without even knowing what it's like just because you happen to find Brandon to be tragically unhip.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

What, exactly, do you consider "nothing to do"? Honestly, Tampa is a big urban sprawl area and I don't think one area is better than any other. It seems to me you just have some snobby ideas of which areas are "cooler" than others that simply is not true. Plus, you're assuming Maka's apartment is crap without even knowing what it's like just because you happen to find Brandon to be tragically unhip.

Correct, but Brandon =/= Tampa.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 04:54:38 PM »

Citrus Park is not in Tampa proper either, it's in the county. And last I looked, Pasco is DEFINITELY not Tampa. I guess my main issue is that you're calling certain areas dangerous that generally do not fall into that category. If you've lived in the area on and off for the past 10 years you should know that the area generally is a lot safer than it was a decade ago. There are places I'd live now that I would never have considered when I just finished undergrad 9 years ago.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »

Citrus Park is not in Tampa proper either, it's in the county. And last I looked, Pasco is DEFINITELY not Tampa. I guess my main issue is that you're calling certain areas dangerous that generally do not fall into that category. If you've lived in the area on and off for the past 10 years you should know that the area generally is a lot safer than it was a decade ago. There are places I'd live now that I would never have considered when I just finished undergrad 9 years ago.

I never said Pasco was Tampa. I live there not because I love it, but because 5 years ago, I saw a great investment opportunity there, which has paid off when my townhouse's value went from 120k to 320k. (I'm selling off and moving overseas anyway.) Pasco is country as hell, and there isn't *&^% to do, but I feel much safer there than in Brandon, which is why given the choice between these two comparably priced places, I chose Pasco.

The fact that Brandon is safer now than it was a decade ago is undisputed, however that certainly doesn't necessitate the conclusion that it is safe.