Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC vs. Loyola Chicago ($$)  (Read 1342 times)

ChiSox07

• View Profile
    • LSN Site
    • Email
BC vs. Loyola Chicago ($$)
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:44:49 AM »
I'm originally from Chicago and would like to eventually practice here.  BC is the better school, all things being equal.  It has a national reputation and is ranked much higher than Loyola.  However, Loyola has a good reputation and network in Chicago, and is offering me $20,000 a year.  I went to a BC alumni reception in Chicago last week and was somewhat reassured of the prospects of getting hired in Chicago.  Is it worth it for me to forgo the scholarship and go to BC?
Boston College 2010!

Staying on WL at UIUC and ND

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=DaveFox05

skyhigh711

• View Profile
Re: BC vs. Loyola Chicago ($$)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 11:37:11 AM »
BC doesn't really have many Chicago firms that recurit there for OCI.  However, at Loyola you would need to be top 10% to get a Chicago firm job from OCI.  If you're absolutely set on practicing on Chicago for the rest of your life, then go to Loyola with the $.  If you are not completely sure, go to BC.  I'm in a similar situation (no money at BU or $ from Kent and Loyola).  I might want to practice there, but I don't really know.  If you go to Loyola you should get a job in Chicago, but how easily/how well-paying will depend on your grades. 

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »
I wouldn't worry about BC's reach for Chicago. A couple of friends in my 1L section have lined up good opportunities there for the summer. I know one is with a federal judge, not sure on the specifics of the other.

Also, just because the firms aren't coming on-campus doesn't mean they're not recruiting BC students. BC is part of the Law Consortium along with GW, BU, Cornell, UT-Austin, and Northwestern. They hold a recruiting fair in Chicago, among other major cities, each fall and pool their combined reputation to draw a crowd. See the brochure here: www.law.gwu.edu/CDO/Hidden+Content/ TLC+Brochure+2007.htm

From what I understand, BC hasn't sent out their aid packages yet either, so you may want to hold off on making a decision until you see all the numbers.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 06:17:48 PM »
BC BC BC BC BC
See you there
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 11:56:36 PM »
Not sure where your BC alumni event was, but I went to the Chicago BC alumni event last year, and it was at Sidley and they had 6 summer associates from BC, which is pretty damn good considering it is Chicago's top firm and that BC is so far away.
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

ChiSox07

• View Profile
    • LSN Site
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 11:00:32 AM »
Unfortunately, I still haven't resolved this dilemma.  Here's an update.

- It's down to BC and LUC for sure
- In terms of fin aid, BC is only giving loans, LUC is giving $20k/yr

I'd much rather live and practice in Chicago than Boston/east coast.  Is the extra prestige of BC worth it?  I visited the BC, and was extremely impressed.  However, I'd like to stay in Chicago.  Given my goals to practice here, will BC really provide an advantage with firms?  Also, I've worked in the legal field as a paralegal for several years, and feel that I can really do well in 1L classes (esp. civ pro and torts) at Loyola.  The transfer option is definitely one that I am considering, with the hope of getting into Northwestern or UChicago next year.  Should that even factor into the equation?

Any advice from people in a similar situation, or current students at BC and LUC/Kent/DePaul is welcome.
Boston College 2010!

JustALawStudent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »
I thought I'd chime in and provide my 2 cents.  Current BC 2L.  This really should not be a question for you unless you are trying to go into public interest law or specifically want a small firm job (and only then because of the debt potential and its ramifications on what kind of you will need to pay back your loans).  I'd say that you should send in your seat deposit to BC!

A significant reason that BC does not place that many students in Chicago is a combination of self-selection and the ease of finding jobs in other markets.  BC obviously places many more students in Boston, NYC, DC, and along the East Coast because this is who comes to campus to do on-campus recruiting.  Thus, most students ending up in Chicago likely made a conscious decision that they really wanted to be in Chicago as opposed to another market.  I would not therefore say that being going to Loyola will automatically make it easier to get a Chicago job. I cannot speak about Loyola's job placement, but I imagine that one must do very well to get a large firm job coming from Loyola.  Given that Chicago, Northwestern, and even Michigan (all great institutions) are close in proximately, the competition for firm jobs must be high.  One thing I have found about being a non-native Bostonian is that applying for firm internships in the Midwest makes you 1)rare and 2)desirable.  You are rare because not many students look for non East Coast jobs and you are desirable because most large firms want a diverse summer class.  No firm wants to take all their summer associates from 2-3 schools.  Rather, they want to have top students from a number of places.  Thus, because so few BC students apply to the Chicago market, you stand out a bit.  Add a personal connection to Chicago and your prospects improve dramatically.

Even though everyone hates the rankings, they do serve as a proxy for school/student quality.  While it is debatable whether a school ranked 20 is better than a school ranked 30, most employers can recognize the difference between a school in the first tier and a school in the second tier (50-100).  Certainly, this is not the end of the inquiry, but it most certainly is at the forefront, as is GPA and class ranking.

One thing I will caution against is predicting how well you will do in law school.  Almost everyone enters law school believing that they can excel.  Certainly some people do excel.  However, law school grading is often a random and frustrating experience.  Correctly anticipating being in the top 10 percent is something that I just don't think is reliable and I cringe every time I read a post by a prospective law school student with such desires.  At BC, students in the top 50% of the class can usually find a medium/big law job.  There are exceptions of course, but the better you do the more likely you will find a firm job if that is what you want.  I can speak with knowledge that students that are around the 50% and even below have obtained large firm jobs.  Certainly if you are at the bottom is is an uphill battle, but not wholly impossible. 

Finally, I will comment on what should happen if you can't find a large firm job.  If you can't find one, then you will be left to look for medium/small firm jobs.  This will most certainly be easier if you are in Chicago as most of these firms don't really have a set summer program but hire in the late winter/early spring if they anticipate needing extra help.  I don't imagine that it would be impossible to do such recruiting located in Boston, the mechanics of the interview process are easier if you are in Chicago.  But, because I don't think it is impossible not get this done from Boston, I'd still advise you to choose BC.

One last thing, I know it is difficult to determine if you are interested in a clerkship, but BC will most certainly lend itself to obtaining a clerkship easier than Loyola.  Even if you are convinced you are not interested now, things may change. 

Any other questions or clarifications just ask.  I'm in finals mode, so it may take me a while to respond.   

ChiSox07

• View Profile
    • LSN Site
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 01:27:02 PM »
Decision made.  It's BC.  I'm withdrawing from Loyola today.  Sorry for the repost, just some last minute cold feet.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Boston College 2010!

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
Congrats ChiSox!   I think you made the right choice.  Look forward to seeing you in the Fall.  :)

(Also, nice post Justalawstudent!)
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 03:32:46 PM »
i can't really help you with BC, but i visited loyola-chicago.  im still in chicago in fact.

the discover loyola day was pretty informative, but yeah, not that many people get jobs from the OCIs.  most of the students in the panel were saying that you have to work for your jobs, and honestly, that's how it will be for the rest of your life.  that's what they said again.  i think the stat at loyola employee said was like 41% of grads work go into a private firm work in firms of 2-10 attorneys.  obviously not big law, but if youre a devoted person, you could make partner eventually or whatever.  i don't know.

i dont really have the luxury of picking from a higher ranked school like BC--at least not yet, but if i get into wisconsin, that would be the highest school i will have been accepted to.  but, if i were in your position, i would still take BC.  not even a rankings thing, but BC has a name brand.  BC will travel to Chicago, but you just have to keep in mind that you might not get an OCI, at least with a Chicago firm.  So I suppose, Loyola and BC would be in the same position, at least for you.  At the same time though, BC's average starting salary for grads is much higher than Loyola's.  So I guess this would be another pro for   BC.  But, BC is a great school and if worst comes to worst, you will stick around Boston for maybe 2 years...and then you can make a lateral transfer to Chicago or whatever.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.