Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Asians here write an optional diversity essay?  (Read 14076 times)

dubris

Any Asians here write an optional diversity essay?
« on: September 13, 2004, 07:11:19 PM »

Honestly, I am stuck. How am I contributing to diversity if Asians are over-represented to begin with? I tried looking online for some examples but all I found was the Deloggio example about some Vietnamese guy who got raped on the boat he rode over here. I haven't had anything nearly that tramatic to write about (thankfully.)

I'm American born, upper-middle class, male, speak only English, I have never had to work hard for anything... I might as well be a white boy! Does anyone have any ideas on what I could write about? The only thing I could come up with  is "I'm Asian, I want to go into IP law, most engineers are Asian, therefore..."

Thanks in advance.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
Re: Any Asians here write an optional diversity essay?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 07:21:31 PM »
Asians aren't considered for AA or considered as a URM.  So find some other topic on how you would contribute to diversity to your law class.  I like what Ann Coulter wrote in her law school ps for Harvard. 

From "how to get into law school" by Susan Estrich.

Diversity is of ideas, and not of race, color, or physical characteristics.  Write about how you would contribute to the diversity of ideas in law school. 

Ha, that advice cost me $16 bucks.   :-\

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

dubris

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 07:39:40 PM »
Asians aren't considered for AA or considered as a URM.  So find some other topic on how you would contribute to diversity to your law class.  I like what Ann Coulter wrote in her law school ps for Harvard. 

Diversity is of ideas, and not of race, color, or physical characteristics.  Write about how you would contribute to the diversity of ideas in law school. 

WTF did Ann Coulter write in her PS? Did she just translate "Mein Kampf" to english?

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 07:54:57 PM »
No, she wrote about Affirmative Action. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

sluan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 03:28:09 PM »
I believe Asians are under-represented in the law profession and in law school.  Check out the statistics on the LSAC website.
156-154-159-161-167-155-161-163-164-164-164-160-164

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 10:45:36 AM »
*bump*

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 12:26:04 PM »
according to the book by Anna Ivey, Asians are not URM. 

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 12:57:03 PM »
In response to a statement that there are too many lawyers in the United States, a prominent law professor explained, "There are not a lot of Latino, African American, Asian American or Native American lawyers. We are still woefully underrepresented in the ranks of lawyers." -LSAC

RocketBot

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 06:20:27 AM »

Uhh, did Ann Coulter get into Harvard?  Her JD is from Michigan.

pinkdcgal

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 05:04:18 PM »
I agree with stephkay, I would write about how you're going to ADD diversity to the law school and demonstrate how you have done so in the past.

I have a question for you also -- are you planning to include a diversity statement with all of your law school apps as an addendum or only where specifically asked?