Law School Discussion

Any Asians here write an optional diversity essay?

atma

Re: Any Asians here write an optional diversity essay?
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 04:38:23 PM »
I would say talk about you as an individual and what interests you have beyond what you wrote in your personal statement. It's an additional opportunity for you to show yourself from a different angle. Other suggestions include family background/activities that you were actively engaged in. Those are just my ideas - hope it helps.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 08:13:25 PM »
I did, but it was about my socio-economic background.

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 10:19:08 AM »
Write something that shows how you will add to the diversity of the class.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 02:31:45 PM »
if you think Asians are not minorities even today, you are kidding yourself. from railroad worker exploitation and restrictive immigration legislation up until the 1960s, hate crimes  up to the killing of vincent chin in the 1990s, to stereotyping of asians as the model minority, there are still plenty of examples of racial oppression. perhaps we are not URM, but that is no reason to say that you are not of a diverse background.

i could go on and on, but this is just my two cents!

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 10:06:37 AM »
I'm Asian and wrote a diversity essay. But I didn't just say, "I'm Asian." I think it really helps to find a personal story to tell.

I was born in Utah and spoke mostly English, but at age 10 I moved to Taiwan (where my parents are from) and lived there until college. Genetically, I'm completely Chinese, but growing up, I felt American. I had never been to mainlaind China, but I went this summer to do an internship at The Palace Museum (forbidden city), and that experience really helped me get in touch with my roots, resolving some of my own questions about how Chinese I am, and how American.