Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Curves - What am I missing?  (Read 1009 times)

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Curves - What am I missing?
« on: March 19, 2007, 11:58:12 PM »
Yes, many of you will laugh at me, insult me, and flame me.  Such is life, because my confusion must be eliminated.

WTF is a law school curve?  I keep seeing talk about really tough curves and I have no idea what is meant by that.

For example: Miami.  I hear it's very hard to maintain a scholarship because of the curve.  Miami wants a B, or 3.0, to maintain the scholarship.  Say the curve is a C, like I hear.  Doesn't that mean 50% of the students get better than a C, and thus all one would have to do is stay in the top 50% to maintain his or her scholarship?  That seems pretty feasible and not a "terrible curve for maintaining a scholarship".

Unless of course I'm missing a key factor, which is very possible.

Please enlighten me people.  Thanks!
USD 2010

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Re: Curves - What am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 12:03:28 AM »
I think I just realized the significance of the curve.

If the curve's a C, 50% do better than that, but almost 30% of students will get between a C and B, therefore you must be in top 20% (maybe even higher) to get that B and maintain a scholarship.

Whereas if the curve was a B-, then a true 50% of the students would get a B or better... or something like that.

Is this correct?  Anyone care to elaborate for me?
USD 2010

SocalCash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 12:05:43 AM »
Well if the curve is a C, that means 2.0.  And about half of the people are above, not exactly half cause some are at a 2.0.  Im guessing a 3.0 would be about top 25%. Does that sound right?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:59:19 AM »
The schools that you're interested will probably have the curves online. For example, the maximum percentage that can get an A, A-, B+, etc. Some profs take this more literally than others, and don't give the max at each level. Also, some schools have a different curve on 1L classes, and other classes, with some classes not curved at all depending on class size.

jusTTT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:13:07 AM »
What's the curve at American-WCL?  Does anyone know?

Auelan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Auelan01
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:06:26 AM »
The only curve I've found explained online for the schools I'm considering is USD. It's on their website.

bittrsweet

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »
Yes, many of you will laugh at me, insult me, and flame me.  Such is life, because my confusion must be eliminated.

WTF is a law school curve?  I keep seeing talk about really tough curves and I have no idea what is meant by that.

For example: Miami.  I hear it's very hard to maintain a scholarship because of the curve.  Miami wants a B, or 3.0, to maintain the scholarship.  Say the curve is a C, like I hear.  Doesn't that mean 50% of the students get better than a C, and thus all one would have to do is stay in the top 50% to maintain his or her scholarship?  That seems pretty feasible and not a "terrible curve for maintaining a scholarship".

oh well. then they can laugh at me too. i'm heading to miami and the "brutal" curve is worrying me. it would be pointless to go to miami if i don't end up maintaining my scholarship.
attending: most likely U Miami
in: U Miami ($$$), Cardozo ($$), U Maryland, American, UNC
out: Georgetown, NYU, Fordham
pending: GW
wait-listed: WUSTL

LSAT:164 GPA:3.65

rusty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »

Several schools I applied to gave me scholarships based on my GPA, not class ranking.  If they want you to maintain, say, a 2.9, that doesn't sound too bad until you learn that there's a 2.0 curve (and that only the top 5% of students get 2.9's).  If the scholarship is based on your class ranking I dont think it matters.
GMU '10

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 01:38:03 PM »
Any scholarship where you're required to keep a class ranking or GPA well above hte median should make you wary. Even if you're truly brighter than most of hte students there, you actually have to study to get into hte top 25% at virtually any school (even moreso where students know their prospects of getting a job at all rely on being at a certain class rank). You'll be working your A** off to keep your scholarship most likely if you need to be in the top 1/3 to keep it, partly because you don't know what to expect 1L and definitely don't want to end up too close to the cutoff (ex: 65% when you needed 68%, or getting 67% first semester so you're now on warning that you'd better pick up the work quality or you're off hte scholarhsip). I hope this makes some sense...
At UF, the median is 3.15-3.25 for all classes except seminars. I think you need to keep a 3.0 to keep the scholarship (top 75% or so).

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 01:44:56 PM »
3.0 with a 3.15-3.25 curve you need to be in the top 75th percentile?  That doesnt sound that bad at all....
Princeton Law 2010