Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Florida!  (Read 1182 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
In at Florida!
« on: March 19, 2007, 07:44:33 PM »
I think... I just got an email inviting me to Admitted Students Day and congratulating me "once again" on my acceptance!  ;D
Vanderbilt 2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: In at Florida!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:25:23 PM »
congrats!
Columbia 3L

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:34:08 PM »
Wow, awesome!  So what would you do, UF or UM if you choose Florida?
USD 2010

smellysox2007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 08:44:23 PM »
<-----------jealous

congrats
Attending: ?
In: Pitt ($$), Temple ($$), Tulane, Miami, UNC
Waitlisted: WUSTL, Emory, UF, UC Davis
Out: Vanderbilt, BC, W&M
Withdrawn: W&L, Cardozo

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:26:51 AM »
UF makes so much more sense $$$'ly and is considered the stronger school... I want to visit, but I think I will end up in Gainesville in the fall. I like Miami as a city, but I can always visit or live there later! So we'll see... I think if given the choice between the 2 and without a substantial scholarship from Miami, UF would be a clear choice?
Vanderbilt 2010

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:36:04 AM »
UF makes so much more sense $$$'ly and is considered the stronger school... I want to visit, but I think I will end up in Gainesville in the fall. I like Miami as a city, but I can always visit or live there later! So we'll see... I think if given the choice between the 2 and without a substantial scholarship from Miami, UF would be a clear choice?

Once you get south of Orlando, despite UF's higher ranking, UM is considered the more prestigous school. Also, out of the state, UM is considered the more prestigous school. While both degrees are pretty local, a UM degree can travel farther. UM actually places pretty good in New York City, and decently in Atlanta, Washington, and Chicago. UF can't say that.

Then again, for an in-state, the tuition difference is hard to justify.

Finances asisde, I don't think the decission is that clear. UM, IMO, is the better school here.

That said, if you don't want to or are indifferent about working in South Florida or try to take your degree out of the state, save your money and go to UF. If you are out-of-state and are thinking the same, thinkg hard about the decission. It really isn't as easy as saying "Well, UF is T1, so off to UF I go.". UM is one of the elite T2s, along with Loyola LA, Loyola Chicago, USD, and a few others. It's reptuation really outshines its rankings. UF's does not.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

Pattydream

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 01:25:49 PM »
Julie, congratulations!  I'm a 1L at UF and relocated to Gainesville from Tampa last summer.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Patty

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 11:40:52 PM »

Once you get south of Orlando, despite UF's higher ranking, UM is considered the more prestigous school. Also, out of the state, UM is considered the more prestigous school. While both degrees are pretty local, a UM degree can travel farther. UM actually places pretty good in New York City, and decently in Atlanta, Washington, and Chicago. UF can't say that.

Then again, for an in-state, the tuition difference is hard to justify.

Finances asisde, I don't think the decission is that clear. UM, IMO, is the better school here.

That said, if you don't want to or are indifferent about working in South Florida or try to take your degree out of the state, save your money and go to UF. If you are out-of-state and are thinking the same, thinkg hard about the decission. It really isn't as easy as saying "Well, UF is T1, so off to UF I go.". UM is one of the elite T2s, along with Loyola LA, Loyola Chicago, USD, and a few others. It's reptuation really outshines its rankings. UF's does not.

i feel like im going to have a tough choice in a few weeks bc i applied to the schools you listed (except for florida).  i'm in at loyola-chicago and miami.  i dont really have a clear-cut number 1.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 11:45:29 PM »
I'm still deciding between Miami and UF... $$$-wise, UF makes more sense. I don't plan to practice in FL, so I'm going to have to make my own way no matter where I go to school. There aren't a huge number of Miami or UF grads in the market I want to end up in.
Vanderbilt 2010

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:57:43 AM »
I'm in the same situation.
Princeton Law 2010