Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decisions: UT-A, SC, ND ...  (Read 801 times)

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
Re: Decisions: UT-A, SC, ND ...
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 03:13:34 AM »
ND is underrated, I think you're smart to consider it.  I'd actually place it above USC, unless you definitely want to practice in SoCal.  Between ND and Texas?  Well, yeah, Austin is probably more fun than South Bend.  I think the football question is basically a wash.  UT places well in DC and in government - but ND has a big alumni base, too.  How does the money situation work out?  Are you getting 10k per year?  Is ND's tuition higher?  Man, you should really try to come down here.

Well, I guess all I can tell you that I've loved it here.  The faculty are awesome, very approachable. Great classmates.  Very intersting mix of ambitions - some people just want to go home to Louisiana and practice and stuff like that.  It's nice that not everyone is obsessed with vault rankings and all that *&^%.  But there are plenty of people who take school very seriously, if that's what you're looking for.

Sorry, I feel like I've been really unhelpful.  Good luck.

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »
ND is underrated, I think you're smart to consider it.  I'd actually place it above USC, unless you definitely want to practice in SoCal.  Between ND and Texas?  Well, yeah, Austin is probably more fun than South Bend.  I think the football question is basically a wash.  UT places well in DC and in government - but ND has a big alumni base, too.  How does the money situation work out?  Are you getting 10k per year?  Is ND's tuition higher?  Man, you should really try to come down here.

Well, I guess all I can tell you that I've loved it here.  The faculty are awesome, very approachable. Great classmates.  Very intersting mix of ambitions - some people just want to go home to Louisiana and practice and stuff like that.  It's nice that not everyone is obsessed with vault rankings and all that sh*t.  But there are plenty of people who take school very seriously, if that's what you're looking for.

Sorry, I feel like I've been really unhelpful.  Good luck.

Not doubting you, just curious where you got bolded because that's what I want to do and that is a big concern of mine is whether UT places well in DC gov't jobs.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:39:23 AM »
Outside of Texas, the most popular destination for UT grads is DC. About 9% of grads go into straight Government jobs, but unfortunately I don't know how many of those are in DC. A handful of Federal Government DC Offices come down for OCI, theres an annual "Texas in Washington Recruitment Program" held in DC, and a Public Service Career Day. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any statistics regarding any school's placement into Federal Government DC jobs, but as a rough indicator (though judicial) it may be worth noting that UT has been ranked as 9th for the number Supreme Court Clerkships ('94-'04) and 5th in Federal Appellate Clerkships (2007). Overall, my general understanding is that UT grads do just fine when it comes to getting to DC, it's simply that most grads prefer to stay in Texas.
UT 1L

Life During Wartime

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 02:41:06 AM »
As for the federal government thing - I've had alum profs who work or worked at Homeland Secuirty and DoJ.  Also, an alum who works at the CIA was on campus today.  I've also met alums from State and the SEC.