Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to go?  (Read 4904 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »
hah ... no ... but there's another book.  I forget what its called but its about a hockey sweater.  I'm pretty sure every Canadian has read it a 1000 times.

and where is the modify button?? i can't correct my spelling mistakes ...

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2004, 08:50:29 PM »
cae:

It's not that Ontario schools are stingy with money...it's that they don't have any!  You would get a full ride at UMan because with a 3.99 you'd be the only applicant in history to apply there with that kind of GPA. 

UofT says over 50% of their students get aid and the average amount is 7500 ... which is about 40% of tuition?

Anyways, even if you don't want to work on Bay why wouldn't you look at UofT?  They are the top school for most areas of law ... not just corporate.

UofT is out because it is UoT.  I don't like what they stand for.  Even if 50% of students get _some_ aid that means nothing considering their rather _ridiculous_ tuition.  Sorry if it seems like I'm bashing it too much.  But I am.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 08:52:44 PM »
haha ... that's okay, i hate UofT ...

anyways, I *personally* wouldn't go the free tuition route but I think this decision needs to be catered towards personal situations.

I think a degree from say Osgoode would be worth 10 fold a degree from mu ... and would be well worth the money.  The market for lawyers in Canada isn't too peachy either.  Firms will look at your school and you have a way better chance at employment coming out of a top school. 

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2004, 08:59:09 PM »
haha ... that's okay, i hate UofT ...

anyways, I *personally* wouldn't go the free tuition route but I think this decision needs to be catered towards personal situations.

I think a degree from say Osgoode would be worth 10 fold a degree from mu ... and would be well worth the money.  The market for lawyers in Canada isn't too peachy either.  Firms will look at your school and you have a way better chance at employment coming out of a top school. 

I wonder how much this is so, though.  One of my 'lawyer friends' has finished Osgoode and he says he thinks that his degree from Osgoode was pretty worthless (he works for a medium sized, -shudder- corporate law firm).  First thing everyone asked him for were his marks. 

My brother, who finished engineering at Waterloo took two years to find a job with the supposedly elite Waterloo degree.  So I'm not sure how much better the top schools are.  I guess the true thing to do is to go to Osgoode as it is where I live, but I'm just not sure if it is worth it.  I guess, the truth is, I'll have to figure it out by myself.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2004, 09:00:57 PM »
yeah, i think it's something you need to decide.

I personally think that degrees from the top schools are worth more ... but that's me.

Feel free to IM me or email me if you wanted any other advice or help or whatever ...

JBI

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2004, 11:41:57 PM »
Hello,

This is a relatively uninformed opinion, however, I'd think that unless you were going to be a corporate lawyer what school you went to wouldn't make a huge difference. Location differences might play a bit of a role, IE if you want to stay in Toronto, an Ontario school might be better for the simple reason that a particular firm may have more alumni. But if you wanted to, heaven forbid, practice in Manitoba (I hate this province!) then going to U of Manitoba wouldn't be a bad idea. (For the record though, compared to where I live I'd take Winnipeg anyday... I'm from Toronto originally and miss Ontario)

Cheers!
P.S. Caecilius in horto lecto?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2004, 10:55:53 AM »
Hello,

This is a relatively uninformed opinion, however, I'd think that unless you were going to be a corporate lawyer what school you went to wouldn't make a huge difference. Location differences might play a bit of a role, IE if you want to stay in Toronto, an Ontario school might be better for the simple reason that a particular firm may have more alumni. But if you wanted to, heaven forbid, practice in Manitoba (I hate this province!) then going to U of Manitoba wouldn't be a bad idea. (For the record though, compared to where I live I'd take Winnipeg anyday... I'm from Toronto originally and miss Ontario)

Cheers!
P.S. Caecilius in horto lecto?

This is kind of what I'm thinking.  But I think Cheeks might be right in a sense that you never know how your mind will change. Currently I'm thinking litigation, being employed by the government.  I don't think where I go would make a difference in this case (unless you want to clerk at the S. Court in which case McGill seems a must)...  On the other hand, who knows?  Maybe by the time I'm done I'll realize corporate law is what I love (_extremely_ unlikely, but you never know).

BTW, for anyone who cares, or didn't know, Osgoode grades on a 4.33 scale.  Also they will take off your worst year of marks if you score 77 percentile or over on the LSAT.  I just got an email back from them confirming this.  WHY isn't it on their website!? 

P.S.  JB1, canus est in via! (GET OUT, who uses these books anymore?!)
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2004, 01:42:13 PM »
because york blows!

JBI

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

Haha I thought I recognized the name. I took two years of Latin in highschool and really enjoyed it. Wow, it seems like so long ago. The only ones I remeber are:
 "Multus pulcera puella video" (I see many beautiful girls)
and
 "Capit tuam in anno est" (Your head is up your a$$)

Mind you it's been so long I probably made a bunch of spelling and grammar errors.

With regards to your original post, I figure it couldn't hurt to apply and then find out where you get in and what you get offered, decide for sure where you don't want to go and then consider what all the others offer.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2004, 10:48:09 PM »

Haha I thought I recognized the name. I took two years of Latin in highschool and really enjoyed it. Wow, it seems like so long ago. The only ones I remeber are:
 "Multus pulcera puella video" (I see many beautiful girls)
and
 "Capit tuam in anno est" (Your head is up your a$$)

Mind you it's been so long I probably made a bunch of spelling and grammar errors.

With regards to your original post, I figure it couldn't hurt to apply and then find out where you get in and what you get offered, decide for sure where you don't want to go and then consider what all the others offer.

Hehe, JB1, I hardly remember any latin at all, although I _could_ recognize the first one.  I think I also remember the gruesome 'multus sanguis in via fluit" (much blood poured into the street) but that's about it.  Certain words still come in useful.

For anyone interested, a class that I am taking is being taught by an LLB.  I asked him where I should go today, and he told me that I shouldn't stress too much about my choices.   

BTW, the job market is not too too bad?  According to him, it is not too bad right now, but in the next five years or so there will be a significant shortage of lawyers. 

* Also of interest: at current trends, admit GPAs will surpass those of the medical school within a decade.  Scary stuff!
No longer here.