Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to go?  (Read 4902 times)

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Where to go?
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:03:59 PM »
OK, I am totally lost as to where to go.  First some caveats: NOT Baystreet and NOT UofT.

I kind of decided at least where I want to apply, but now even that I'm not sure.  For example, recently I talked to University of Mantoba admissions kind of for the heck of it.  Well, for the heck of it turned out to 'darn, maybe I should apply here to.'  It seems their advocacy program really is good (from what I've read elsewhere too) but it is also Winnipeg AKA Winterpeg.  On the other hand, my GPA translates to their 4.2/4.5.  The lady told me in no uncertain terms that I would pretty much not have to worry about first year tuition, and that my income bracket (which I shall not put here) will ensure some very nice bursaries.  ARGH!!!! 

My other choices:

UWO
UNB
Osgoode
Queen's

Help!
No longer here.

lexylit

Re: Where to go?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 06:10:20 PM »
there's a school called baystreet? that sounds like a name for a cute little bookshop or maybe a beach or a style of sunglasses. is it small?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 06:19:35 PM »
Actually, I was talking about Bay St in Toronto.  Not a school.  I was trying to say I am not interested in working for mainstream corporate law firms.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 08:00:47 PM »
I'm anti-osgoode.  I can't stand York. 

On your other schools ... who really cares.  I mean, Law in Canada is the same everywhere except for probably UofT, York and UBC.  Anyone that goes to Mcgill will make a case for it but really, in my opinion, it isn't in the top 3.

As for the rest of the schools, they're all the exact same.  So go where you want to study law and where you want to practice.  UWO is a nice school and london is a great city.  I don't like kingston too much so I'm not considering Queens.  As per UNB or Manitoba ... i really have no idea because I no nothing about the schools.  I went to Winnipeg and I didn't like it very much ... but that's me I guess.

Maybe look at UVic and UDal.  With your stats you should get accepted and both have good law schools and are in amazing areas.  I'm super in love with both of those schools (and UBC too).

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 08:01:39 PM »
ps - don't bad mouth bay st.  I live right at bay and bloor.  mmmm ... suits :D

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 08:12:37 PM »
i want to be canadian!

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 08:14:41 PM »
hahahah ... dartmouth = close (apparently :D)

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 08:16:29 PM »
i'm not there anymore (just my heart is). i'm someplace very very sunny and blond. i went running yesterday and there were 36 little aryan kids playing soccer and it freaked me out-- it was like children of the corn.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 08:18:20 PM »
well ... you do look canadian.  I could probably sneak you in

lexylit

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 08:27:37 PM »
i do? that's the nicest thing anyone's told me all day  :D