Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Phone Answerers- It was the Best of Times and the Worst of Times...  (Read 3722 times)

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Brooklyn law school has the WORST phone answerer i've ever dealt with.  I spoke to two different people on 3-4 separate occasions and each time the person was incredibly rude and incompetent.  In fact the 3rd or 4th time I called, the guy was so rude I withdrew my acceptance on the spot. 

It might be the case that the two individuals were removed since last year but if they're still there i encourage you all to call them up and see what I mean. 

Oh and DELL has the best phone operators ever :)  Sure they're not a law school but they still win the medal here!

Wow.  See, you have to wonder what law schools think about when they hire these people.  For most of us, it is our actual first acquaintance with the school.  So if they demonstrate their "people" have no sense of how to be polite and further know nothing about the application process or what it entails, what does that say about their school? 

I completely agree with your withdrawal.  Especially if you had other more attractive options.  I still think that a little kindness goes a long way in getting quality students that will effectively raise medians. 

I went to public schools my entire life and I assumed that a private school charging $30K a year would do a better job of handling its admitted students.  They can fill up my mailbox with all the brochures they want if but they're gonna be assholes on the phone, I can take my tuition money to a much better law school, no problem.
testing testing 1 2 3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Cornell and Boston College have both been incredibly friendly and helpful, willing to take the time to answer questions or get up and root around the office to tell me if my LORs came in. I was very pleasantly surprised on both counts.

Michigan is, of course, awesome. Vandy was also very nice... and very southern.

I've called UCLA twice, and both were particularly frustrating. Duke and GULC were equally useless. George Mason just seemed exasperated...

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
Based on the aggregate of things I've heard about UCLA...why do people apply there?!
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Miles Massey

• Sr. Citizen
  • You fascinate me.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I've called UCLA twice and actually stopped by their office on Friday. I think I know why there's the bitchy-ness.

The first time I called, got a woman that promptly gave me my status, telling me that I was complete (thanks for no complete notices UCLA!). She wasn't nice I guess, but she was quick and wasn't particularly mean.

Next time I called, randomly pissed off girl answered the phone, put me on hold, then I talked to some guy who was really nice and even helpful! After trying to figure out if I was still in the running, we actually talked for a while, and he suggested sending in a letter of continued interest even though I haven't been WL yet (or was that just a way to suggest that I will be?....hmmm)

Anyways, on Friday I actually stopped in to hand carry my letter. I found out why UCLA admissions staff are bitchy....they are burried in some basement of some old building - It was downright depressing! And, I even met the girl at the front desk. Looked like an undergrad actually, and totally dumbfounded that I would want her to accept my letter to put in my file. I think I totally stopped her from playing minesweeper.

UCLA Class of 2010!

trivialine

• View Profile
U Washington was super nice! Phone lady was perky and told me good luck like five times.
The dude at Hastings seemed clueless, but he gladly admitted that he didn't know what he was doing and apologized for it.
Stanford was pretty cold. but i guess they can afford to be.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
CUNY-  Awful.  These people are computer illerate (any file update must be mailed), and they are unbelieveably rude on the phone.

Chicago-Kent- Nice, but not overly.

DePaul- Very business but nice.

FSU- Rude, unknowledgable, and unhelpful.

Hofstra- Pretty nice.

New York Law School- Awful!  They are rude and just keep shuffling to another operator.

Southwestern- Cold.

Suffolk- Had a great sense of humor.  I really liked this woman.

Quinnipiac also had a good sense of humor.

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
Based on the aggregate of things I've heard about UCLA...why do people apply there?!

Well, there's a myriad of reasons the school (at least for undergrad) is the most applied to school in the country: cheap tuition, great academics, great location, great athletic program, etc. etc. My roommate goes there and loves the place.

Judging a school based on the friendliness of the people manning the phones seems a bit much, don't you think? I mean, it is a public school...

Eh, well part of me is just griping at the glaring incompetence of these people. But at the same time I don't think there's much of an excuse for law school phone people not to know anything at all.  Especially those that work at schools that are ranked fairly high and will be fielding calls from interested, very qualified applicants.  That does send a strong signal.  Whether or not it's strong enough to NOT attend... who knows?!  Guess that will have to be judged in light of all the other options an applicant may have.
Yale 2010

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
I've called UCLA twice and actually stopped by their office on Friday. I think I know why there's the bitchy-ness.

The first time I called, got a woman that promptly gave me my status, telling me that I was complete (thanks for no complete notices UCLA!). She wasn't nice I guess, but she was quick and wasn't particularly mean.

Next time I called, randomly pissed off girl answered the phone, put me on hold, then I talked to some guy who was really nice and even helpful! After trying to figure out if I was still in the running, we actually talked for a while, and he suggested sending in a letter of continued interest even though I haven't been WL yet (or was that just a way to suggest that I will be?....hmmm)

Anyways, on Friday I actually stopped in to hand carry my letter. I found out why UCLA admissions staff are bitchy....they are burried in some basement of some old building - It was downright depressing! And, I even met the girl at the front desk. Looked like an undergrad actually, and totally dumbfounded that I would want her to accept my letter to put in my file. I think I totally stopped her from playing minesweeper.

Heh that's awesome thanks for your firsthand assessment Miles Massey!  Man sounds like whoever gets the dude is going to luck out.
Yale 2010

krockband

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
NYU - Horrible
Penn - Students rude, admission officers nice & professional
Chicago - Admission officers nice & warm
Yale - Extremely rude

trivialine

• View Profile
NYU - Horrible
Penn - Students rude, admission officers nice & professional
Chicago - Admission officers nice & warm
Yale - Extremely rude

When you guys call do you always ask to talk to the admissions officers, or only when the phone answerer can't answer your question?
I feel like it might be better to speak with an admissions officer, but I am afraid they will hate me for wasting their time! Maybe that is just me....