Law School Discussion

Miami vs. UW-Madison

Miami vs. UW-Madison
« on: March 19, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »
Even though I've only heard from three schools thus far, I feel as though I'm stuck deciding between UW-Madison & Miami. I am feeling very conflicted and would like some third-party advice as my family/friends/spouse are of little help. Here's the deal:

I currently live in Wisconsin, not Madison though. But this means in-state tuition, which makes costs of attending around $25K (including housing, food, books, tuition,etc) without any scholarship money (I may be getting some as they have no yet sent out scholarship notices). The tuition alone is around $31K at Miami (no scholarship money) which makes costs of attending probably $50K or even higher. I already have about 42K in debt from undergrad.

Madison is ranked 32nd, Miami is ranked 65th. I am pretty sure I am interested in working for a large firm when I graduate. I'm used to 80 hour+ weeks with work & school in the past so working long hours doesn't phase me, especially if it means financial freedom for me and my family (which is something I have never experienced).

So, I know most of you would say naturally pick Madison because its ranked higher and cheaper but here is the thing that freaks me out a bit...I don't like Wisconsin and do not want to stay here after I graduate. I know its a good school but I was kinda planning on making a big move acrross country to attend law school so really don't really feel  like I'm moving on- Maybe because I'm from Wisconsin and sort of regard it as the "state school" is the reason why I'm not so excited. I am really open to where I go after graduation but I want to be in a big city and ultimately a warmer climate. Also, my husband works in Software Programming so we would like to move somewhere where the market is strong for him as well.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Booyakasha2

• Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
Re: Miami vs. UW-Madison
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:05:33 AM »
How far do you want to move?  Im sure wisc places well in chi-town.

vercingetorix

• Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:34:35 AM »
unless you want to live in FL go to Madison.  lower debt will give you greater freedom in choosing a job...UW places well in Minneapolis, and Chicago, not so well in BIGLAW, very well in non-profit/government (read no money).  you would probably have a decent chance of working in medium sized firms on either coast (WI is out of their geographic range so they don't interview on campus which means you'd have to do the legwork) provided, of course, you do well in school (that is all firms really care about).  given rank and debt considerations i think UW is the school for you, despite being a strong regional presence it is still more of a national program than Miami.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:35:34 AM »
don't mean to semi-hijack your thread, but does anyone know how U of Miami is for landing Large firm / medium firm jobs?