Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: To those debating between Hastings vs. Davis -- unite!  (Read 1071 times)

scrrrred

• View Profile
To those debating between Hastings vs. Davis -- unite!
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:22:04 PM »
I know there are numerous past threads regarding Hastings vs. Davis, but to those of us facing this "dilemma" for the upcoming 07-08 year, which school are you leaning towards?  Why?  Also, current students from either school are more than welcome to give us their impressions.  Thanks a lot! 

Let me go first:  If I were to have to make the choice at this very moment, I'd flip a coin -- very unsettling.

goosenesque

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: To those debating between Hastings vs. Davis -- unite!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 07:56:45 PM »
Easy decision for me - Davis for the following reasons (these are all personal reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of either school):

1. The "cutthroat" reputation at Hastings scares the sh*t out of me.

2. I've been living in Dallas for 10 years, so there is no pressing need for me to live in a large city.

3. I have no desire to work in BIGLAW (from what I understand, most Davis students feel this way).

4. I like the "social justice" emphasis/specialization/clinics at Davis.

5. Cost of living is cheaper in Davis.

6. More relaxed environment at Davis.

Outwest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:01:05 AM »
Two major criticisms of Hastings are that it is cutthroat and the student body is disconnected because it is unaffiliated with an undergraduate school.  After speaking with students and visiting the school I don't feel that either of the generalizations are warranted.  I agree that Hastings is less relaxed and doesn't feel like a "university" per se.  But I prefer the energy of the city and I dislike university towns.  You'll befriend people @ either school.  I would rather be surrounded by non-students outside of law school, but that's just how I roll.  If you feel at home in a university setting then go to Davis by all means.

Also, I prefer a larger school.  More people=more contacts.  There are also more clinics, journals, and extracurricular opportunities (at least ones I enjoy) at Hastings.  Can't go wrong either way.  GL.

quizzle16

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
If I can offer any info about Davis as a city, please PM me-I went there for undergrad and I absolutely loved it.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:09:06 AM »
Davis really is a nice area. 

Also, Davis Law is supposed to begin some serious renovations which will be partially opened in 2008 and fully open in 2009.  So if older facilities are a concern to anyone, it should only be a partial inconvenience for those starting in 2008. 

Then again, Hastings old library should be finished pretty soon as well.  I haven't been to Hastings, but a small campus in an ugly neighborhood doesn't sound appealing.  Besides, if you really like the city you can visit it from Davis whenever you want without having to live in it. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 03:14:06 AM »
Hastings isn't cutthroat; that rumor should die.

I'm still debating, but I'm probably at 90 percent Hastings, 5 percent Davis (the other 5 is LC).

YES YES YES!!
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 03:57:38 PM »
Well said.  The cutthroat rumor should die.  I go to Hastings, and that rumor is so ridiculous.  I'm sure there are people out there who say that every school is competitive in some sense.  "Cutthroat" sounds like students are out to get each other; that couldn't be farther from the truth.  Sure there is a grading curve, but there is also one at Davis. 

With respect to the facilities -- Hastings is far superior to Davis in this respect.  I think that in many areas like student quality, the schools are on par.  But when you factor in the facilities, special programs, access to the courts, and reputation in the bay area, Hastings wins out.  My friends at Davis obviously disagree, but they are the ones who can't wait to work in SF for the summer, or who get sick of their classmates because of all the incest and drama between them...no joke! 

Hastings isn't cutthroat; that rumor should die.

I'm still debating, but I'm probably at 90 percent Hastings, 5 percent Davis (the other 5 is LC).

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:21:25 PM »
Here's a good analysis of the Hastings v. Davis ranking disparity. 

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,70521.0.html

I know there are numerous past threads regarding Hastings vs. Davis, but to those of us facing this "dilemma" for the upcoming 07-08 year, which school are you leaning towards?  Why?  Also, current students from either school are more than welcome to give us their impressions.  Thanks a lot! 

Let me go first:  If I were to have to make the choice at this very moment, I'd flip a coin -- very unsettling.