Law School Discussion

How much of a support system is needed?

How much of a support system is needed?
« on: March 18, 2007, 02:03:13 PM »
Hi, Trying to decide between USC (w/30k), U of Chicago, and Northwestern (w/21k).  Interested in Corporate Law then an In House Counsel placement with a large company, ultimately want to reside in LA (or at least West Coast).  Currently reside in LA and we have a 2 year old.  Moving to Chicago will mean more travel for my husband with his current firm, and the stress of having to drum up a new practice.  This makes it seem like it will be hard for him to take on as much childcare/household responsibilities as we'll need, especially in my first year of law school.  We do have some family in Chicago, but are unsure of the amount of support we can expect.  LA is a known entity, with many supportive family members and friends. 

How many hours/day and days traveling/month are too much for a first year law student's spouse given the care responsibilities for a young child?

How realistic is it to make such a big change for a top 14 school? 

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: How much of a support system is needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 09:05:47 AM »
I think this is a very personal situation.  Some people could handle it without any problem, others might have a lot of difficulty making the adjustments.  Most people will probably fall somewhere in between, but only you know what type of person you are.

You're right to be concerned about the effect that more travel for your husband and a busy 1L schedule will have on your child.  This would seem, to me, a more important consideration than a t14 school, but again, it's completely dependent on your situation.  My personal opinion is that USC would be a better choice - it's located where you want to practice, is still highly ranked, gave you money, keeps your support network in place, and would eliminate the need to move and the stress of doing so.  Plus, if you want to practice on the west coast, your family would have to move again in three years, creating more stress on your husband with his job and uprooting your child in kindergarten/1st grade.  Are three years and a few spots in the rankings worth it?  If you and your husband honestly think so, I'm sure you can make it work, but from the sound of your post, it seems like you'd be happier staying where you are.  Good luck with your decision!