Law School Discussion

Is there anything I can do to get my family to understand?

Is there anything I can do to get my family to understand?
« on: March 18, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »
My mother is hard of hearing so its hard to talk to her. Not only that but my family on that side are Mexican immigrants and have no clue as to what law schools is, I mean other then that it makes lawyers. She doesn't see the point in me quiting my job and going into debt when I already have a degree and she does see why I can't work and go to school like I did in undergrad. I try to explain to her that is alot more intense and structured, but she doesn't get it.

So I was thinking maybe there was some reading material out there or a good movie about the law school experience I could share with her, because she thinks I'm going off to play land or something.

Any idea how I can get her to understand better?

Thistle

• View Profile
Re: Is there anything I can do to get my family to understand?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 01:27:02 PM »
My mother is hard of hearing so its hard to talk to her. Not only that but my family on that side are Mexican immigrants and have no clue as to what law schools is, I mean other then that it makes lawyers. She doesn't see the point in me quiting my job and going into debt when I already have a degree and she does see why I can't work and go to school like I did in undergrad. I try to explain to her that is alot more intense and structured, but she doesn't get it.

So I was thinking maybe there was some reading material out there or a good movie about the law school experience I could share with her, because she thinks I'm going off to play land or something.

no.  any law school movies would only terrify her.

it's worse when you get to school. 

with two weeks to go before finals, they ask, "so how is your semester going?" 
right after finals, they ask, "so how did you do?" 

they never understand when you answer "i have no idea?"

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »

That is really tough. Can you network through school or some other organization to get someone who has already graduated LS to communicate the situation you're going into?

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 04:26:40 PM »
you should introduce them to Mexican- American lawyers or show them how it is important to you- and what you can do with a law degree.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 07:41:39 PM »
Send them here. We will educate them. ;D

ha! would you send *your* mother here?   :D

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 07:45:50 PM »

would you send your daughter here?

dont have a daughter.  but if you do, feel free to send her along, but dont expect her home by midnight  ;)

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »

I would send all of my relatives here if I had tried explaining all things "law school" to them and they still didn't get it. This site is the law school equivalent of RTFM. Would you rather I sent them to xoxohth?

it would be funnier.

i'll bet my dad could hold his own at xoxo.  he's 84 and meaner than *&^%  :D

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 12:46:56 PM »
My family's reaction has been hilarious. All of my extended family is lining up pro bono defense now. My father sees dollar signs dancing before his eyes. My mother, thus far, has had the only sane, yet stereotypical, reaction to the news: "I'm so proud of you!"

My advice: Tell your mom a lawyer in the family = free legal counsel, great for those slip, trip and fall accidents. ;)

smack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 08:22:30 AM »
My mother thinks I am going to lawschool to find a husband...the last thing I need. 

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »
My mother thinks I am going to lawschool to find a husband...the last thing I need. 

no kidding, us guys at law school just want casual sex  :D