Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Middle Class Blacks Do Not Need AA  (Read 13719 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Middle Class Blacks Do Not Need AA
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 09:06:26 AM »
Your presumption is unwarranted. Saved ticket money vs. constantly being thought a criminal by the authority figures in society based on the color of your skin. Certainly not an obvious choice.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »
This thread is so bizarre...

As a Hume lover, I think the OP is seriously misunderstanding his work (and comes off like one of those not-too-clever kids using big words he doesn't understand).

JSIA

Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2007, 01:29:55 PM »
it appears that you'll be perfectly capable of thriving at [your law school], which is what really matters anyway.

On this, we agree.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2007, 04:35:53 PM »
Your presumption is unwarranted. Saved ticket money vs. constantly being thought a criminal by the authority figures in society based on the color of your skin. Certainly not an obvious choice.

Your presumption is unwarranted.  On what do you base the belief that MJ will constantly be thought a criminal by authority figures based on the color of his skin?  1)  His windows will probably be tinted, as noted.  2.  Actually, he'll probably have a driver.  3)  He's basically instantly recognizable. 

Even if some cops are more suspicious of blacks, that will generally decline based on the dress of the individual, the type of car he drives, etc.  And regardless of any suspicion accorded someone like MJ, it's unclear how that could affect his academic achievement. 

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2007, 04:41:50 PM »
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=721722

Read that. Though it's not a study about affirmative action or specific instances of racism, it's an interesting survey of student impressions at law school. I think it might well explain what different groups of people feel about the experience of law school.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »

Read that. Though it's not a study about affirmative action or specific instances of racism, it's an interesting survey of student impressions at law school. I think it might well explain what different groups of people feel about the experience of law school.

Appears to note that minorities and women are less comfortable in law school, without acknowledging the role preferential admissions likely plays in this.  Their solution:  more preferences, and less rigorous academics. 

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »

Appears to note that minorities and women are less comfortable in law school, without acknowledging the role preferential admissions likely plays in this.  Their solution:  more preferences, and less rigorous academics. 

Read the article, then comment.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2007, 05:30:50 PM »
less rigorous academics. 

I will generally stay on the sidelines for this one, but I can't help but note the twist you put on people's demands for additional academic support resources.  It has nothing to do with rigor.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2007, 06:17:27 PM »

Your presumption is unwarranted.  On what do you base the belief that MJ will constantly be thought a criminal by authority figures based on the color of his skin?  1)  His windows will probably be tinted, as noted.  2.  Actually, he'll probably have a driver.  3)  He's basically instantly recognizable. 

Even if some cops are more suspicious of blacks, that will generally decline based on the dress of the individual, the type of car he drives, etc.  And regardless of any suspicion accorded someone like MJ, it's unclear how that could affect his academic achievement. 

Hey dummy. No particular reason to think that his windows will be tinted; illegal in many states. He is not necessarily instantly recognizable. Perhaps the cop is very young/foreign/etc etc etc? And presumably MJ wants to drive his own fancy car and not have his driver do it--that's why he got the convertible in the first place. AND the po pull black people over just as often when they're in nice cars--there's a happy little presumption that since black folk can't afford nice cars, they probably stole it. And being systematically oppressed by authority figures in society affects absolutely everything in your life--being pulled over is symptomatic of a larger issue, A, and B is that being discriminated against and hated counts as adversity last time I checked. People who overcome adversity make better people, and add diversity to the class.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »

Hey dummy. No particular reason to think that his windows will be tinted; illegal in many states. He is not necessarily instantly recognizable. Perhaps the cop is very young/foreign/etc etc etc? And presumably MJ wants to drive his own fancy car and not have his driver do it--that's why he got the convertible in the first place. AND the po pull black people over just as often when they're in nice cars--there's a happy little presumption that since black folk can't afford nice cars, they probably stole it. And being systematically oppressed by authority figures in society affects absolutely everything in your life--being pulled over is symptomatic of a larger issue, A, and B is that being discriminated against and hated counts as adversity last time I checked. People who overcome adversity make better people, and add diversity to the class.

Hey, retard. There's obviously various problems (and extreme assumptions) in your above post, but let me just ask you a few quick questions:

1.  How exactly does "systematic oppression" (i.e., in this case, possibly being pulled over ocassionally) affect academic achievement?

2.  Do you REALLY believe that MJ is not more privileged than most whites?  That he does not, overall, have a better, easier life?  That he is not generally treated better by society than a homeless white person?  Please think carefully and honestly before answering this, if you wish to retain credibility and intellectual integrity.

(If it helps, ask yourself if a young black person would rather be MJ or a homeless white person.)

3.  Do you recognize that many URM's are not even visibly URMs, and therefore face little prejudice whatsoever in life?

I'm fine with the theory that adversity builds character, which can be desirable in law school.  What I'm troubled by is the knee-jerk assumption that all URM's inherently face more adversity than all whites/asians, which is clearly false.  (Even if MJ may get pulled over ocassionally b/c of his skin tone, he also gets far more love from society overall than most whites/asians, and likely recieves favorable, preferential treatment far more often than negative discrimination.)