Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Middle Class Blacks Do Not Need AA  (Read 13690 times)

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Middle Class Blacks Do Not Need AA
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2007, 03:33:54 AM »
I know.

I just had to throw in my 1 cent.

And, for the record, I believe AA is a legitimate AND necessary institution.

Now I've gotta study so I can matriculate at NYU Law in '09 (Well, I hope I do  ;)).

No.

3.  Do you think the fact you're applying soon may affect your perceptions of what's "legitimate and necessary?"

"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2007, 03:38:49 AM »
I know.

Now I've gotta study so I can matriculate at NYU Law in '09 (Well, I hope I do  ;)).

No.

3.  Do you think the fact you're applying soon may affect your perceptions of what's "legitimate and necessary?"

Fair enough -- maybe only whites are motivated by self-interest.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2007, 04:07:31 AM »
I know.

No.

Fair enough -- maybe only whites are motivated by self-interest.

Not even close. There are millions of underrepresented minorities behind me. They need it, too.
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2007, 04:10:10 AM »
1LCorvo is a flippant dolt!!

My reasoning ability increased greatly with each Philosophy class I took, but this brutha obviously experienced the converse.

WHAT HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE?

I will not engage him in conversation like you all have so graciously done. The daft brutha AIN'T worth it!

1.  If you speak properly, you'll be more pursuasive.

2.  I don't blame you for not arguing with him -- he's clearly sharper than you.

LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!!! Especially at # 1.

rempli2

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 01:05:34 AM »
I am not an Upper-Middle Class African American and I came from an impoverished community myself so I will cannot comment on your question about how Middle Class African Americans might feel.  .

I am an upper middle class black woman.

My parents were in the corps diplomatique and I had the privilege of living in a number of cosmopolitan areas of the world.  I certainly never experienced the ghetto, and grew up with almost exclusively white friends.  I graduated with no debt.

Do I feel that I was disadvantaged?  Probably not.  But it is a difficult thing to say, because my upbringing was somewhat unorthodox.  I went to a lot of international schools, where nobody really stuck out.  I felt most awkward at college where the three black girls across the hall pounced into my room the first day and thought we had a bond.  At the same time, I have dated mostly black men.

Will I benefit from AA in this cycle?  Sure.  My numbers are good enough to get into T14 regardless....but the URM status may get me HYS as a nice bonus.  Do I feel guilty about that?  Not really and I'm not sure whether I should. 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 05:28:19 AM »
I am not an Upper-Middle Class African American and I came from an impoverished community myself so I will cannot comment on your question about how Middle Class African Americans might feel.  .

My parents were in the corps diplomatique and I had the privilege of living in a number of cosmopolitan areas of the world.  I certainly never experienced the ghetto, and grew up with almost exclusively white friends.  I graduated with no debt.

Do I feel that I was disadvantaged?  Probably not.  But it is a difficult thing to say, because my upbringing was somewhat unorthodox.  I went to a lot of international schools, where nobody really stuck out.  I felt most awkward at college where the three black girls across the hall pounced into my room the first day and thought we had a bond.  At the same time, I have dated mostly black men.

Will I benefit from AA in this cycle?  Sure.  My numbers are good enough to get into T14 regardless....but the URM status may get me HYS as a nice bonus.  Do I feel guilty about that?  Not really and I'm not sure whether I should. 

I don't think you should feel guilty, and it appears that you'll be perfectly capable of thriving at HYS, which is what really matters anyway. 

However, I would simply say that it would raise some problematic moral/ethical issues if you were preferred over a significantly less advantaged white/asian who achieved even better numbers despite that disadvantage.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2007, 06:15:54 AM »

I don't think you should feel guilty, and it appears that you'll be perfectly capable of thriving at HYS, which is what really matters anyway. 

However, I would simply say that it would raise some problematic moral/ethical issues if you were preferred over a significantly less advantaged white/asian who achieved even better numbers despite that disadvantage.

Hey Lindbergh,

I think you should become the Dean of Admissions at Yale after law school.  Or how about Harvard? Stanford?  UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN? :)

That way, you can reject all the unqualified URM applicants--let's not forget how much privilege URMs enjoy--and dole out acceptances to as many poor, disadvantaged white/asian students as you wish.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2007, 06:39:08 AM »

Hey Lindbergh,

I think you should become the Dean of Admissions at Yale after law school.  Or how about Harvard? Stanford?  UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN? :)

That way, you can reject all the unqualified URM applicants--let's not forget how much privilege URMs enjoy--and dole out acceptances to as many poor, disadvantaged white/asian students as you wish.

Well, I don't think there's any question that certain minorities enjoy far more privileges than most whites.  I think we can reasonably assume that Michael Jordan could do pretty much whatever he wants in Chicago, for example. 

And I would certainly not unfairly favor the child of such a privileged minority over a poor, disadvantaged white/asian -- any more than I would favor the child of a privileged white/asian over a poor, disadvantaged minority.  I would hope that you would do the same.

And I would of course reject all the unqualified applicants, regardless of ethnicity, after controlling for educational opportunity, and thus hopefully determining true academic potential. 

How would your approach differ? 

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 08:18:30 AM »
Bet you Michael Jordan got pulled over the first time he drove his fancy new car. I'm sure the officer was apologetic once he realized, but...
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »
Bet you Michael Jordan got pulled over the first time he drove his fancy new car. I'm sure the officer was apologetic once he realized, but...

From what I've heard, whenever Jordan gets pulled over for speeding, the cops let him go without a ticket. 

That would presumably outweigh getting pulled over more often.  Also, of course, he probably has tinted windows.