Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Police Academy Transcript and LSAC?  (Read 2529 times)

hdsteele

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Police Academy Transcript and LSAC?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 06:16:31 PM »
You are required to report transcripts from schools only.  Military, police, etc are not transcripts from an educational institution/school.  They CAN be turned into college credit through a Credit by Evaluation or "Life Experience" type of program.  However, I believe that has to do be done through an educational institution.  There is book out that lists acknowledged learning activities and what they amount to in college credits.  I graduated both the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center as well as the U.S. Secret Service Training Academy.  I submitted both for credit through State Univ. of New York and received credits for them. I don't think submitting them to LSDAS would do any good though and again, is not required. However, when you do have them turned in to credit hours they do not give you a letter grade, just credits so they arent factored in to the GPA anyway!  Just thought I'd share!  Hope I'm not talking out my a$$.  Has been known to happen  :)

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 06:39:12 PM »
My bad, brain didnt communicate with hands... I certainly THOUGHT I said post :)

For anyone who cares, not only are you requested to submit all post secondary schoolwork, you are REQUIRED to submit all secondary school work.  Failure to do so could get you booted from law school if anyone finds out.

Aonghus, karenw911 was asking about your statement that law school applicants "are REQUIRED to submit all secondary school work."  You failed to put 'post' before the word 'secondary.'  That is what she wanted you to explain.

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 10:36:59 AM »
I was recently talking to my parents, who asked me if I included transcripts from the Spanish classes I had taken in high school at the local university (same school where i applied to law school).

I hadn't even thought to include them. Honestly, I considered them part of my high school education. I was only a sophomore in high school at the time. the only reason I took them was that I had been taking several foreign languages and that year, my high school had scheduled two of the ones I needed for the same time slot. I just didn't think of them as college classes.

My question is...will they accept this as on oversight and not hold it against me, considering that I had an A in the class (or classes, I can't even remember if it was one or two). Or will they see it as dishonest.

The worst part of this is if LSDAS counted the As, it would take my GPA from 2.98 to 3.0, I think. which is a small change, but psychologically, 3.0 seems so much better than 2.98.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 09:09:17 PM »
My question is...will they accept this as on oversight and not hold it against me, considering that I had an A in the class (or classes, I can't even remember if it was one or two). Or will they see it as dishonest.

They are not going to consider anything dishonest that was to your benefit...you got an A in the course, correct? If you would've failed the course and then failed to mention it, that would appear as deceptive...

I would not for one second worry about a spanish class you took as a college course while you were in high school. Did it actually count as college credit?  Was this the same school that you did your undergrad? 

I'm willing to bet that you're ok on this one without another thought about it.

Karen W.