Law School Discussion

This is what happens when you apply to no safety schools

This is what happens when you apply to no safety schools
« on: March 17, 2007, 07:36:29 PM »
I just want to make this thread to teach others not to do what i did.  :)  I have a 3.6 LSDAS GPA and 156 LSAT, and my ego got the best of me and I refused to apply to any Tier 3 schools.  So I applied all over the board, from places ranked 87, to ones ranked 35.  The first thing I heard back was an acceptance from Miami, which is ranked in the middle (65).  But after that, ive been rejected by almost every school i applied to (about 8 so far), and 1 waitlisted me.  Half of the schools i applied to had lower stats than Miami too. I am literally thanking God right now that I applied to Miami, because if not,  I might not be going to law school next year.  So don't do what I did and let your ego get the best of you. Even though it's nice that I got in somewhere, it kind of sucks having no choice of school, takes a little of the fun out of it

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: This is what happens when you apply to no safety schools
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 07:44:05 PM »
156 isn't a reason to have an ego. Anyone on this board could tell you that--but at least you got into Miami and thats a good school. Hope you like sun.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 07:48:49 PM »
156 isn't a reason to have an ego. Anyone on this board could tell you that--but at least you got into Miami and thats a good school. Hope you like sun.

actually i didn't really mean it like that, im still pretty bummed out by my score lol. I was scoring way higher on my practice tests then that, and I was pretty devastated. Only after talking to some friends who are in law school now, did I even apply this cycle. I was going to take a year off and retake, but im really happy i didn't because of that Miami acceptance.  My ego (although very undeserving as I can see now) bothered me because I thought I could do much better than my 156 and I felt crushed by it.  Basically, i had the mindset that id rather keep retaking the LSAT until i do better than go to a tier 3.  But now i can see that this mindset is total crap. I can't say I regret doing what I did because it seemed to pay off for me because now I dont have to wait a year, and i would love to live in florida and practice there. But i see how close i am now getting these rejections from everywhere, and how close i came from being screwed and wasting hundreds of bucks on applicatons.

Hell, i still hate my score and would love to just retake it to see if I can do better, but at this point it's useless.  That score is just a huge ego crusher becase I really know I can do better, but at this point to get into a place higher ranekd than Miami, I would probably need a 162+, and im not really positive i can raise it that much, althought im pretty sure i can get into the 150's. Also, what is truly scary is most of the Tier 2 schools have similar LSAT medians to the lower ranked Tier 1's, so it's not like they are exactly easy to get into either.  Most of the Tier 2's don't have medians lower than 159 aside from a few. 

jimfoolery

• Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »

This is what happens, Larry!

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 07:54:50 PM »
UMass, I got a 156 as well after consistently scoring in the mid (or sometimes low) 160s during my practice tests. I was pretty disappointed.

I know I can do much better on the LSAT, but I just can't fathom taking the LSAT again in June and then waiting an entire year to apply. Plus, I am not interested in doing biglaw, so hopefully I'll be okay at a T3.

I think its cool that you got into Miami...that story is actually inspirational to people in my situation! I have a 156/3.3 and I am still waiting for any acceptance letter.

Thanks for sharing your story.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »
When did you apply to these schools? Early in the admissions process, or more recently?

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 07:58:03 PM »

actually i didn't really mean it like that, im still pretty bummed out by my score lol. I was scoring way higher on my practice tests then that, and I was pretty devastated. Only after talking to some friends who are in law school now, did I even apply this cycle. I was going to take a year off and retake, but im really happy i didn't because of that Miami acceptance.  My ego (although very undeserving as I can see now) bothered me because I thought I could do much better than my 156 and I felt crushed by it.  Basically, i had the mindset that id rather keep retaking the LSAT until i do better than go to a tier 3.  But now i can see that this mindset is total crap. I can't say I regret doing what I did because it seemed to pay off for me because now I dont have to wait a year, and i would love to live in florida and practice there. But i see how close i am now getting these rejections from everywhere, and how close i came from being screwed and wasting hundreds of bucks on applicatons.

Hell, i still hate my score and would love to just retake it to see if I can do better, but at this point it's useless.  That score is just a huge ego crusher becase I really know I can do better, but at this point to get into a place higher ranekd than Miami, I would probably need a 162+, and im not really positive i can raise it that much, althought im pretty sure i can get into the 150's. Also, what is truly scary is most of the Tier 2 schools have similar LSAT medians to the lower ranked Tier 1's, so it's not like they are exactly easy to get into either.  Most of the Tier 2's don't have medians lower than 159 aside from a few. 

Well I'm in at Miami too. I'm still waiting on 8 decisons but I may be there as well. At least you are going to law school and that says something even though you may not like it. I forget the actual number but it's a pretty high percentage of people who apply and don't get into any law school- and you got into one. It may not be your dream school, but it's still pretty damn good. Don't waste your time thinking about "what if....LSAT". Just work your ass off in school and show all those schools who rejected you...and you can do it all while you are nice and tan in Miami vice pastel colors.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »
When did you apply to these schools? Early in the admissions process, or more recently?

nah, not early by any means.  ;D I took the December LSAT this year (well technically 2006), and had all my applications in maybe the second week of January?  Possibly later. I've only been complete at all of the schools for about a month and a half.   Also, keep your head up, I also got waitlisted by American University, which is a Tier 1 university. Although i probably won't get in, i thought it was cool that they didn't reject someone with an LSAT score like mine. 

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 08:07:19 PM »

This is what happens, Larry!

"This is what happens, Larry, when you find a person in the Alps!" Worst R-to-G overdub in the history of cinema.

Umass, thank you very much for the words of warning. After looking at the choices I have already made for schools to apply to next fall, I noticed I was being a bit too selective. I'm going to start looking at other schools right now.

Also, keep in mind that people on here stress rankings wayyy too much IMO.  Unless you went to a top 14, how you do is better than where you go.  My friend went to the University of Denver (Lower ranked Tier 2) and is now at biglaw, because he was near the top of his class. You can't get a prestigious law job no matter what really, unless you do very well. Even if you are at a mid ranked Tier 1 place, you still have to do amazingly good.  If you go to a Tier 3/4 and are top of your class or near it, you can still get a biglaw job I am guessing.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 08:08:51 PM »

Well I'm in at Miami too. I'm still waiting on 8 decisons but I may be there as well. At least you are going to law school and that says something even though you may not like it. I forget the actual number but it's a pretty high percentage of people who apply and don't get into any law school- and you got into one. It may not be your dream school, but it's still pretty damn good. Don't waste your time thinking about "what if....LSAT". Just work your ass off in school and show all those schools who rejected you...and you can do it all while you are nice and tan in Miami vice pastel colors.

i was very happy to get into Miami, while it was not my top choice, it was my #2 one. What i am really praying for is an acceptance from the University of Florida, which I think might be possible because their 25th percentile LSAT is only 1 point above mine.  I would love to get into there.