Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Use a school for their money and leave them like a ...........?  (Read 413 times)

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
A little background: I have narrowed down my acceptances to a t2 in the state where I want to practice with no mention of money (school #1) and another T2 with a full-ride + stipend (only for the first year) in the town where I currently live (school #2). I know school #2, although close to where I want to practice, won't offer as many opportunities upon graduation as #1, but unless I can get in-state tuition at #1 I will be paying significantly more $$$ to attend (about 54K more). 

My question is, assuming school #1 ends up not offering any money, would you: take the $$$ from the other t2 and just stay there? Screw the $$$ and go with the school with the best job prospects? or would anyone take the first year $$$ at school #2 and then try to transfer to #1? 

If you thought the third option was best, do you have any idea if it would be relatively easy to transfer considering both schools are t2(only about 5 spots different)?

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Use a school for their money and leave them like a ...........?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »
Does the school in your hometown have any pull whatsoever in Nashville? Is it within 500 miles even? Only way I'd pay 54k more to go to one slightly higher ranked T2 over another is if the more expensive school has no geographic feed to my goal practice area whatsoever. Even then, maybe not.

If the schools are only five different in rank, maybe you could talk to UTK and see if they'll throw something your way? You obviously really want to go there.

Given the similar ranks I'm guessing you could transfer as long as your grades are decent.

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 10:30:58 AM »
Yea, the schools are only 2.5 hours away from each other, but I searched Martindale and less than 40 attorneys were listed in Nashville from the school where I live, as opposed to 388 from UTK.  The school also lists that only 4% of its grads (thats about 5 per class) go to the state of TN.  I'm sure part of it is self-selection but there is no way for me to know exactly how much.  Needless to say, it has me a bit concerned.

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:08:06 AM »
I'd talk to UTK and see what they can do. Though it sounds like your hometown school would have some use in getting you to Nashville.

Good luck.

NotReally

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 12:20:34 PM »
If you go to the school with the money, don't go expecting to be able to transfer.  Hope and work for the option, but go in expecting the long haul because law school grades are not as predictable as many pre-l's would like to believe.  I know people on substantial scholarships who are in the very bottom of the class and people who get in off the waitlist who grade onto law review.  I am not being pessimistic and saying it won't happen, but I think you should go in with your eyes open and expect to stay for three full years at whichever school you pick.  If your grades are good enough you could even transfer to Vandy or some other strong southern school that could get you to Nashville, but don't count on that either.