Law School Discussion

Poll

please pick.....

Fordham PT
19 (48.7%)
Santa Clara (10k)
20 (51.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

(POLL this time) Fordham PT vs. Santa Clara (10k)

(POLL this time) Fordham PT vs. Santa Clara (10k)
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »
Hopefully this makes it easier... :)

* The Goal is IP/Patent law (got an MSEE) at a Big Firm, with a mindset of the most lucrative overall path, lets say 10 years from now (amount of debt, starting salary weighed against COL)

* Currently live near Santa Clara. Got a sister close to Fordham, so maybe save a few $100 on rent.

* The 10K is just for the 1st year @ SCU for now, would have to reapply next year for 2L; If I choose Fordham, will transfer to FT after 1L, makeup a summer to graduate in 3. (SCU is ~$33k/yr; Fordham is ~26k (pt), 35k (ft))

* Assume top 30% at either school throughout JD Degree.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: (POLL this time) Fordham PT vs. Santa Clara (10k)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:13:51 PM »
If you do choose FU, you may want to think about staying PT and trying to find a position as a sci advisor/tech spec, etc. EE is very hot in IP now, and many firms hire people in law school eve programs, pay for their LS, pay them competitive salaries, hire them directly as associates upon grad'n, etc, etc.

I am doing something similar to this...

If you do want something like this and are considering FU, PM me and we can talk...

Thanks, just PM'ed ya.

Butters Stotch

• Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:26:05 PM »
Why would the American Dream concern himself with earthly pursuits like law school?   ???

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 01:45:46 PM »
Do you want to live on the east or west coast?

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »
Do you want to live on the east or west coast?

Let's just assume for now that either is fine.

In reality, if I do go to NYC, I could see myself working there for a few years before coming back to cali.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:56:37 PM »
Before anymore feathers are ruffled, the point of the poll is to determine which set of circumstances has more financial potential.

I'm aware of the gamble, and my actual choice between the schools will def. take this into account.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »
I am not sure how deep into the class Biglaw goes into Fordham, but I think top 30% would get you a biglaw IP job, which would probably allow you to get to California in the long run. I would vote for Fordham

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way but Fordham is definitely a step above Santa Clara.  There difference in LSAT median at Fordham (around 166) compared to Santa Clara (around 158).  Since you don't mind working in NYC for a few years, I would go to Fordham, get into a top NYC firm, and most top NYC firms have satellite offices in California so you can easily come back to Cali making a whole lot more with that approach. 

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »
e: And I don't think it's that he's enthusiastic to put you down, it's that he's trying to help you realize that basing a significant financial decision on money you might have isn't the wisest course of action. It's like buying a house with money you plan to win in Vegas next weekend.

credited

Clearly this is an important consideration. But really, it's revelant to all students at Fordham who attend on loans, w/o financial aid. Many will face $180k debt without the biglaw job to help pay it off.

Main reason for the top 30% assumption to make it easier for the poll participants by narrowing the scope; I don't think the question can be fairly answered without assuming a ballpark class rank. It's not a declaration of earning something I obviously haven't.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »
Only because you live near SC, are certain you wish to practice IP law and have a decent scholarship at SCU, I'd go there in your position.

Since money is your main concern, I think you can do really well practicing IP law coming out of SCU -- or so their post LS salary stats would say.  Fordham's extra $12k/year, plus the cost of living in NYC (which is absolutely insane -- take it from someone who lives there now) will make it much more difficult financially for you if you don't land that BigLaw job.  And from what I hear, at least 60-70% of Fordham grads don't.

Also, there may be NO truth to this, but you assume top 30% at either school.  The intellect of the Fordham student body will be greater as a whole, given the much higher admission requirements.  Therefore, while there may be no direct relationship (I've never done or seen studies on it), I'd assume you'd rank higher at SCU than at Fordham, given the same effort.

Just my $.02.