Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Howard  (Read 5789 times)

camillesthename

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waitlisted at Howard
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 11:47:46 AM »
Please remain ever hopeful...if LSN is remotely correct, it appears that quite a few of the originally admitted students withdrew.  I suppose it's just a matter of waiting, which only serves to drive one crazy. 

(coughcoughcoughCASEWESTERNcoughcoughhackcough   ::)  )

Now, the question I'd like answered is whether or not, HUSL mimicks other schools where they admit more than what's allotted for class availability? 

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »
LSN is only showing 21 accepted students.

According to LSAC, they made 502 offers last year....so that makes me think LSN isn't remotely indicative of the true situation.

Plus, HUSL has historically seen a fair amount of accepted students matriculate -- 28% last year.

to put that in perspective, GULC was 28%...GW 24%...Hofstra 20%

that being said, we're still rooting for you, P.U.S.H.!

PS - Camille...to answer your question, Howard admitted 502 last year and their class was 139 students.

camillesthename

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »

According to LSAC, they made 502 offers last year....so that makes me think LSN isn't remotely indicative of the true situation.

Plus, HUSL has historically seen a fair amount of accepted students matriculate -- 28% last year.

PS - Camille...to answer your question, Howard admitted 502 last year and their class was 139 students.

Johnny, you're a doll.  Thanks for your input.  A follow-up question then would be, what's the purpose of the waiting list (re: HUSL)?  Even 28% of 502 admitted students puts them right in line with the allotted # of 1L slots.  Or is that 28% included those students admitted off of the WL?   ??? 

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 04:18:48 PM »
Yeah, that's how I got that figure.

# of matriculants / # of admits

It is supposed to include those students admitted off of the WL...though I'm not entirely sure if everyone follows the rules.

Not that I know anything to the contrary, but I was accepted off of UO's waitlist in one of those "you have two days to decide" emails...when I wrote them back telling them I couldn't justify the added expense, and if they had any scholarship money left, they wrote back saying no and they would be taking me out of their database.

which made me think...I wonder if all schools really consider that an offer of admission...especially since acceptance rate figures into the rankings.

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 08:51:30 PM »

Thanks Johnny :)

What I have found interesting is how many people have told me to be aggressive - consistently show interest, call, e-mail etc. but when I did that, the admissions office sounded annoyed and especially after they asked my name and looked up my status. The man that answered (can't say it was Dean McGahee because he never confirmed it was him or not) told me not to call unless I receive notice from them that there has been movement on the waitlist.

It took everything in me not to mention that someone has been admitted from the waitlist as of May 1st ;)

I'm starting to take it to mean that they see my numbers and know they want other people, in which case I just wish they'd be upfront with theirs and tell me to make other plans. I'm interested but I'm not desperate :P
Everday I'm HUSL'in

camillesthename

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 08:17:28 AM »

Thanks Johnny :)

What I have found interesting is how many people have told me to be aggressive - consistently show interest, call, e-mail etc. but when I did that, the admissions office sounded annoyed and especially after they asked my name and looked up my status. The man that answered (can't say it was Dean McGahee because he never confirmed it was him or not) told me not to call unless I receive notice from them that there has been movement on the waitlist.

It took everything in me not to mention that someone has been admitted from the waitlist as of May 1st ;)

I'm starting to take it to mean that they see my numbers and know they want other people, in which case I just wish they'd be upfront with theirs and tell me to make other plans. I'm interested but I'm not desperate :P

*sigh*  There are many barriers to entrance at universities/colleges/professional schools and we (all) probably hit most of them. Sometimes it is not easy to sidestep these obstacles.  Anyhooo, these are but mere obstacles toward getting the desired objective.  Donít take this ambiguity personally. One canít be deterred by such utterances, small specks on the page of life. Just remember the knife cuts backwards and forwards.  Personally, I think you will ultimately prevail.   :D

:-*

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 09:11:46 AM »
Another accepted from Howard WL (LSN: howarduman)... 6-8 weeks >:(

camille... Did you attend Howard for undergrad? I wonder if they are showing love to alum first and the rest of us have to beg for scraps ???

Everday I'm HUSL'in

camillesthename

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
Another accepted from Howard WL (LSN: howarduman)... 6-8 weeks >:(

camille... Did you attend Howard for undergrad? I wonder if they are showing love to alum first and the rest of us have to beg for scraps ???

I am happy to report that I did not attend HU for undergrad.   :D

I've spoken to some professors who either currently teach or have taught at HU, and even they admit that the level bureaucracy is mind-boggling!   :o  And even after being admitted, it is advised that one stay on top of every matter that is of importance, as the red tape pervades every essence of HU.   ???  *sigh*

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 07:54:24 AM »
last time I heard from Howard the email said that I would have received a decision in a few weeks...

I am still waiting after more than 1 month! :-\ :(
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 11:53:13 AM »
damn teotret, sorry to hear that.

But I can tell you admitted students receieved an email on Friday asking us to fill out an "enrollment card".  Basically two check boxes:

I will enroll in August

I will not enroll in August

And then if you're not, a short questionnaire on your plans for next year and your satisfaction on the admissions process. 

It's due July 1st so hopefully they will see who is forfeiting their seat deposit.  Though I'm sure there are still some people eyeing waitlists.  I will be there in the fall so I hope to see you there  :)

actually, just got an apartment nailed down so I'm pretty psyched.  Right in the middle of it all, 3 blocks from Mcpherson Square metro, and only 5 from dupont circle (3 metro stops from HUSL).  I had been looking right at Van Ness, but it was too suburban for me.  I figured if I was moving into the city, I might as well go all the way.

Again, good luck!

any other Howard 0Ls know where they are living?