Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Howard  (Read 5493 times)

swellen

• View Profile
Waitlisted at Howard
« on: March 16, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
I just got waitlisted at Howard.  Has anyone else?  How big is their waitlist?

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted at Howard
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:05:50 PM »
I was waitlisted 1/25. I recently sent a letter of continued interest but they told me I won't hear anything until April 20th (after 1st deposits).

From LSN, there are only 3 left on the WL (1 withdrew) and 1 defferal that's also going to withdraw I think. Many of the accepted students on their got accepted to schools that are higher ranked, but that doesn't mean as much since Howard is known to have the best national reputation for a T3.

Everday I'm HUSL'in

swellen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 03:36:22 PM »
Do you know how large their WL typically is?

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:47:10 AM »
Not sure but I've heard that it's important to follow up with someone after being placed on the waitlist if you're serious about attending. Even then, it's touch and go.
Everday I'm HUSL'in

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:01:19 AM »
Many of the accepted students on their got accepted to schools that are higher ranked, but that doesn't mean as much since Howard is known to have the best national reputation for a T3.

I have been waitlisted too...
I got into NYLS which is a T3 school like Howard and I'd like to end up practicing international business/corporate law (either in NYC or Washington DC...I really don't mind :D)..
I'm not a URM (but I'm a foreign student) and I know that Howard is well know for its large URM student body and alumni..
Can you give me some advice?
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:36:50 AM »
Many of the accepted students on their got accepted to schools that are higher ranked, but that doesn't mean as much since Howard is known to have the best national reputation for a T3.

I have been waitlisted too...
I got into NYLS which is a T3 school like Howard and I'd like to end up practicing international business/corporate law (either in NYC or Washington DC...I really don't mind :D)..
I'm not a URM (but I'm a foreign student) and I know that Howard is well know for its large URM student body and alumni..
Can you give me some advice?

Send an LOCI if you're really interested ASAP. Other applicants from past cycles have said being aggressive and/or really showing that you're interested in attending the school and why are helpful.

Howard has an impressive list of OCI on the NALP site (500+) but then some people have said those employers come but don't extend offers.

I have a friend that's graduating from HUSL soon and going to NY, but she's from there. Do you have connections already in NY?
Everday I'm HUSL'in

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:36:50 PM »

I have a friend that's graduating from HUSL soon and going to NY, but she's from there. Do you have connections already in NY?

no... ::)

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 05:46:43 PM »

no... ::)

Ok, I don't understand the whole eye-rolling emoticon other than you already having stated that you're an international applicant... which doesn't make my question any less arbitrary than your choice of where to practice if you've never been there.

Anyway, HUSL grads practice in places everywhere so since you're choosing between two T3s my advice is make your decision based on programs they offer that you think will further your career goals. Certificates of concentration, clinics, and programs that you're interested in now get first priority and how many options you'd have if you change your mind.

HTH.
Everday I'm HUSL'in

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
the eye-rolling emoticon had to be consedered like "oh...I'm a poor boy, all alone in the Big Apple..." :D :D
anyway... probably, following your "directions" NYLS would better meet my career goals (in terms of clinics and courses on business/corporate law...).. ;)
(btw, thanks!)

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:23:56 PM »
Take my words with a grain of salt - we're in the same boat, so I could be totally wrong!
Everday I'm HUSL'in