Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going to University of Richmond Fall 2007?  (Read 1911 times)

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to University of Richmond Fall 2007?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »
I agree that most people on this board have MUCH higher than average numbers (there is also the possibility that a few people are fudging their numbers, but that's a topic for another day...). 

While I can't relate to their sky high test scores and "Should I go to Yale or Harvard" questions, I have learned so much about the LSAT and the law school admissions process in general.  Sure a few people are huge jerks, but on any message board there are people who post just because they think it is fun to make other people angry.  At least the jerks here are somewhat well-informed.

I agree that hypercompetitive "gunners" really stink, and I know it seems self serving but I'm sometimes glad I don't qualify to go to a T14 with them! This is not meant to be disrespectful to the vast majority of law students who are great people.
 :) I'm just talking about the hypercompetitive environment that is more likely to occur the higher the school is ranked.

Girljuno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 12:43:16 PM »
Amen to most of what you said Jen. I do get the fact that this site is informative. But I keep thinking about my cousin who went to CUNY. Now if I had to pick a school based on academics and environment it would be either CUNY or Howard. The professors are cool and very intelligent. But a lot of people on this board would scoff at the school and the students. That sucks. I mean I really feel bad for the Cooley kids because they are judged before they even speak. Anyway where else are you applying? I only applied to two schools so my drama is pretty much ova.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 01:25:10 PM »
Well here's the problem....I don't really know where I want to practice.  Maybe I want to practice in VA...perhaps I don't.

Since I did not get into Harvard or Yale, I don't have the luxury of just picking on of those places.  My decision is based on a decision I will have to  make three years from now. I don't have a crystal ball, thus I have to think long and hard about this decision.

FTR: the more expensive school is Washington and Lee, which also places pretty well in Richmond.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »
If I wanted to stay close to family, my choice would have been simple.  If I was married, the decision would have been simple. 

I'm single..and not close to my family, so I'm trying to figure out where I would be happiest being (quality of life, job prospects, etc...)...3 years from now, and trying to choose a school based on that.

Sound easy?
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Girljuno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »
Journeyman I am sorry that you feel that it is so hard. I however am not in the position to sympathize. Please...basically are you republican or do you feel that you will like being surrounded by republicans. If you will then go to Washington and Lee. Or here is a better solution visit the schools. I know, I know you have no money or the like. But come off it. It is a easy decision. You just pick. Look the reason I say that I am not in a position to sympathize is because I am not the type of person who asks for help. I really just don't get it. I am the ultimate decider(Bush reference) in my life. I picked my undergrad out of 8 schools. It was in boston and I went to the school unseen and I was happy. Make the decision either based on the money or just which area you think you would like the best. Washington and Lee is country Richmond is city. Stop the whining because that is how it comes across.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 02:47:38 PM »
Well if you think I'm bad....you should give this same talk to bozo's who have A) better schools to choose from than I do, or B) people who had better numbers than I did.  I'm just trying to maximize my options.

I'm sorry if my pissing and moaning bothers you.  Maybe you shouldn't post on this website if that is the case, because there is ALOT of pissing and moaning that goes on on this site.
IU-B '10

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 02:51:35 PM »
Furthermore, I don't need your simpathy...it's not like my dog died. I'm trying to decide my future.
IU-B '10

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »
Journeyman I am sorry that you feel that it is so hard. I however am not in the position to sympathize. Please...basically are you republican or do you feel that you will like being surrounded by republicans. If you will then go to Washington and Lee. Or here is a better solution visit the schools. I know, I know you have no money or the like. But come off it. It is a easy decision. You just pick. Look the reason I say that I am not in a position to sympathize is because I am not the type of person who asks for help. I really just don't get it. I am the ultimate decider(Bush reference) in my life. I picked my undergrad out of 8 schools. It was in boston and I went to the school unseen and I was happy. Make the decision either based on the money or just which area you think you would like the best. Washington and Lee is country Richmond is city. Stop the whining because that is how it comes across.

Girljuno, I was almost 100% with you throughout this thread until the bolded part of your post.  Though I think you're portraying the law school decision as being much more black-and-white than it really is, to each their own.  And I do agree that the sense of entitlement on this board, and the resulting whining, gets over the top from time to time.  But where the hell did this gratuitous linking of W&L with Republicans come from?  I went there for law school and I can tell you that it is certainly not some Republican stronghold, a la Liberty or Regent.  I would even wager that liberals outnumber concervatives at the law school by a fair number.

Again, we're all entitled to our beliefs and view of the world.  But this from the hip, grossly overgeneralized assertion greatly diminishes your credibility with regards to your "just pick a school and go" model.

Girljuno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 03:25:13 PM »
To Journeyman:

I am sick of the whining on the site but I overlook that because sometimes I come across the rare kid on this site who is less interested about a schools ranking and more interested in what kind of education I can receive at the school. Or even how did I feel when I went to the school for a tour. I get frustrated by the thought that the bottom line is the almighty dollar instead of what a person can do with the legal education that they receive in order to benefit society. Don't harp on the yale and harvard comparision so much because my point is that you have choices...so you should stop stressing. This is my second time applying to law school. And the first time I did not get into any. I would have killed to have amassed the selection that you have. Anyway my hope is that you listen to yourself and don't buy into the hype that is on this board. What school can offer you the education that you want instead of the job.

Lenny:

Sorry for the comments regarding W&L but when I visited the school I got a distinctive conservative vibe. Not that there is anything wrong with that....This personal experience is coupled with the various comments I have heard from current students. Anyway no offense intended. But as a pretty liberal person it was just not my slice.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 03:44:01 PM »
I am willing to concede that posting on this thread was rather inappopriate. 

However, I feel it is fair to understand that choosing a school for many is not a black and white issue.  I admire that your decision was as easy as it was.
IU-B '10