Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone going to University of Richmond Fall 2007?  (Read 1902 times)

Girljuno

• View Profile
    • Email
Anyone going to University of Richmond Fall 2007?
« on: March 16, 2007, 11:00:57 AM »
I am.  :)

The Pros are that it is literally down the street, the campus is pretty to look at and it has a good rep in Richmond(where I want to work).

So join me if you are going to UR.

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone going to University of Richmond Fall 2007?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:59:55 AM »
I was admitted, but don't know much about it.  Good luck there!
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

tigerfly0110

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:15:59 PM »
I was admitted an am strongly considering it.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 04:29:24 PM »
Congrats to all of you guys for getting accepted to Richmond.  It is most definitely one of my reach schools that I am waiting to hear back from. :) What were your numbers, if you don't mind my asking?

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »
That question was for any of you guys.  :)

ebirt07

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 12:25:56 PM »
I'm thinking about it, too.  I still haven't heard back from my top choices, but I love Richmond (the city).  Their admission people have treated me the best out of anyone so far.  I've lived next door to UR for 15 years, so I kinda feel like moving somewhere else.  We'll see how it goes.  They didn't offer enough scholarship money for me to send in my deposit.  But, trust me, you can do a whole lot worse than UR.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
Problem is I got into a much better school ranking wise than Richmond....

Problem with that school is, the only two places I'd practice in VA would be Richmond or NOVA, both of which I could accomplish by going to Richmond. (Of course I'd need great grades)

Richmond is cheaper...

damn I hate making this decision.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Girljuno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 11:48:52 AM »
Wow. What I don't get is that so many people have such a hard time deciding once they have been accepted. If you don't want to practice in Va then don't go to UR. Pick a school near where you eventually want to work. The formula is that simple. My mom's lawyer friend is a graduate of UR and he works for a big(quiet old skool and old money) law firm in Richmond. He told me when I first started applying to figure out where I wanted to be and pick my law school accordingly. That way during the three years you learn the area and get ready for the bar in that area. It really is not that difficult. Now if money is your issue then you are going to have to make some tough calls. For instance I got a pretty decent scholarship at a school in DC but I got into UR. I have not received my letter but I am banking on the fact that I will get no money. But what is important to me is being near my family. So I will bite the financial bullet and enjoy my time at Richmond. And a word to the wise regarding rankings. I have visited several schools throughout the years. Schools that range from Harvard to Cuny Law(NYC). They all teach you the same stuff. It seems to me that higher ranked they are the biggest pricks they have in attendance. Richmond to me is a good combination of "old money" and a little humble pie. Most students don't try to act like they are too big for their britches.

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »
Girljuno, your post makes a lot of sense.  :)

Girljuno

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:21:10 PM »
Thanks Jen.... the thing that I hate about this site is the Catch 22 that I experience every time I visit it. I of course want to connect with like-minded law school focused individuals. but instead I get bombarded with kids who have so many options but have the audacity to whine about them. If I have to read "I got into harvard but they are only giving me $20,000 opposed to Yale who is giving me a full ride" one more freaking time. And this is not jealousy talking. I have always done well in my own life and I wish others well too. But I have a problem with the narcisistic rantings that permeate this board. Chill...if you were lucky enough to get into the school you wanted the first time then just enjoy it. As my mom always says if you are afraid of debt you will be afraid until the day you die. And for anyone who is coming to Richmond...do not even think of coming up to me and asking me what I got on my exam or anything akin to that. I am going to law school to work hard but not to compete with every jerk wad who feels that they have to compensate because they really wanted to be a doctore but couldn't get into med school.