Law School Discussion

IP/Patent Law: UC ($$) vs OSU vs DePaul ($$$) vs GW PT vs Akron ($$$$)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following options:

1) DePaul: $24k/year scholarship requiring a 3.3 GPA to renew
2) UC: $12k/year scholarship requiring a 2.0 GPA to renew
3) Akron: Full tuition + $10,000/year stipend requiring top 10% to renew
4) OSU: No scholarship offer yet
5) GW PT: No scholarship

I am from the Cincinnati area and would like to practice patent law in one of the few big Cincinnati patent firms after law school.  I have both a BS and an MS in Electrical Engineering.  I plan to pass the patent bar before entering law school.

I know GW is by far the best regarded school for IP law that I have been admitted to.  But, I would have to take on nearly 200k in debt to go there (unless I decide to get a job in the patent office while I attended part-time, but I think that would be way too much to handle).

DePaul has a strong reputation for IP law, but it is a regional school with strong ties to the Chicago area.  I would only have to pay about $6k a year in tuition and was virtually guaranteed a paying job during the summer between 1L and 2L due to a unique program they have for IP students.  But, I fear that after I graduated I could have trouble getting back to Cincinnati.

Akron has a good reputation for IP law and it wouldn't cost me anything as long as I could stay in the top 10% (which I realize could be a huge gamble).  But, I have the same regional concerns about Akron as I have for DePaul.

Ohio State would be significantly less debt than GW, but does not really have a reputation for IP law.  I think OSU students place well in Columbus and Cincinnati.

Cincinnati would be about $8k a year in tuition plus the cheapest living expenses of any of the schools I am considering.  It is also in the city I would like to end up in, but it doesn't have a reputation in IP law.

Is anyone else in a remotely similar situation or have any advice?  Anyone deciding among any of these schools?  I know that going to a school close to where you want to practice is ideal.  But, since I am pretty sure I want to practice patent law, will I be putting myself at a disadvantage by going to a school with few if any faculty who deal with IP law.  Does the intellectual property specialty ranking on USNWR carry any weight, or should I lean more torwards a school with a higher overall ranking?  Or, does the fact that I have a hard science background put me in a position where the regionality, ranking, and specialty of the law school I attend shouldn't matter as much?

Any thoughts, comments, questions, or concerns are greatly appreciated.  Good luck to all of you in this tough decision we face.

Didn't you apply to Case Western? It's in Ohio & has a solid IP program if im not mistaken.

Aise from that, I'd personally do GW PT, switch to full after 1 year. IMHO, the school/program is, relative to the other options, worth the debt. Goodluck, fellow MSEE.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following options:

1) DePaul: $24k/year scholarship requiring a 3.3 GPA to renew
2) UC: $12k/year scholarship requiring a 2.0 GPA to renew
3) Akron: Full tuition + $10,000/year stipend requiring top 10% to renew
4) OSU: No scholarship offer yet
5) GW PT: No scholarship

I am from the Cincinnati area and would like to practice patent law in one of the few big Cincinnati patent firms after law school.  I have both a BS and an MS in Electrical Engineering.  I plan to pass the patent bar before entering law school.

I know GW is by far the best regarded school for IP law that I have been admitted to.  But, I would have to take on nearly 200k in debt to go there (unless I decide to get a job in the patent office while I attended part-time, but I think that would be way too much to handle).

DePaul has a strong reputation for IP law, but it is a regional school with strong ties to the Chicago area.  I would only have to pay about $6k a year in tuition and was virtually guaranteed a paying job during the summer between 1L and 2L due to a unique program they have for IP students.  But, I fear that after I graduated I could have trouble getting back to Cincinnati.

Akron has a good reputation for IP law and it wouldn't cost me anything as long as I could stay in the top 10% (which I realize could be a huge gamble).  But, I have the same regional concerns about Akron as I have for DePaul.

Ohio State would be significantly less debt than GW, but does not really have a reputation for IP law.  I think OSU students place well in Columbus and Cincinnati.

Cincinnati would be about $8k a year in tuition plus the cheapest living expenses of any of the schools I am considering.  It is also in the city I would like to end up in, but it doesn't have a reputation in IP law.

Is anyone else in a remotely similar situation or have any advice?  Anyone deciding among any of these schools?  I know that going to a school close to where you want to practice is ideal.  But, since I am pretty sure I want to practice patent law, will I be putting myself at a disadvantage by going to a school with few if any faculty who deal with IP law.  Does the intellectual property specialty ranking on USNWR carry any weight, or should I lean more torwards a school with a higher overall ranking?  Or, does the fact that I have a hard science background put me in a position where the regionality, ranking, and specialty of the law school I attend shouldn't matter as much?

Any thoughts, comments, questions, or concerns are greatly appreciated.  Good luck to all of you in this tough decision we face.

The Depaul offer would be awesome if not for the 3.3 requirement. A 3.3 is tough to get and it's hard to say how you will do at law school until you get there.

I'd pick GW PT, 100% no hesitation. Think about it:

National ranking (it's in a different league, IMO, from all your other choices)
Highly regarded for IP
Possible work during school at the USPTO

Don't worry about the money. If your heart is set on being a patent attorney, and you've obviously got the qualifications, then I'm almost positive you'll be making a huge amount of money no sweat.

I mean, do whatever you like, but this has got to be one of the easiest decision threads I've seen. Seriously, Akron vs. GW? FOR IP? Come on now.

:)

One more thing: You obviously have a strong interest in the Ohio area. However, GW will no doubt introduce you to options all over the place which you may not even have considered. If you go to one of the regional Ohio schools, you may never know what you're missing.

Only time the regional choices would make sense to me is if you have extremely strong roots in the area. I mean like, you're 40 years old with a spouse and three kids and have lived there for 20 years. In that case, do whatever you can to minimize disruption to your life. But if you're single (or your spouse doesn't mind moving) and in your 20s, then GW is what makes the most sense, to me anyway.

latenitesession

• My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
I'd pick GW PT, 100% no hesitation. Think about it:

National ranking (it's in a different league, IMO, from all your other choices)
Highly regarded for IP
Possible work during school at the USPTO

Don't worry about the money. If your heart is set on being a patent attorney, and you've obviously got the qualifications, then I'm almost positive you'll be making a huge amount of money no sweat.

I mean, do whatever you like, but this has got to be one of the easiest decision threads I've seen. Seriously, Akron vs. GW? FOR IP? Come on now.

:)
TITCR. def. GW