Law School Discussion

sorry if this is a stupid question

sorry if this is a stupid question
« on: March 15, 2007, 08:51:30 PM »
I read a post earlier about something similar so I got curious.

My mother's side of my family is hispanic and my father's side of the family is white (non-american). We immigrated to the US when I was around 5 and we had to leave 10 years later due to immigration problems. We were a family of 6 and we barely pulled in 30k/yr. Needless to say, our socio-economic condition was pretty bad.

Anyway, I've always put down "white" on my school applications because I wanted to get accepted without having people tell me that the only reason I got in was because I pull out the "race-card."  That is, until now. Now, my goal is to get into one of the T3 law school and I really don't care what people say. I'm wondering if I can still put down "hispanic" on my applications. I'm wondering if this would be acceptable since I barely speak any spanish and I have no cultural identity of my own, having studied in the US for the past 15 years while my family tried to adopt a "white" image to fit in.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I would appreciate any advice you can give.

PS - my stats currently are UGPA:3.8,GGPA:3.7,LSAT:(going to take in June but averaging 170 on my preptests) My UG/G schools were both in the T14.

latenitesession

• My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
Re: sorry if this is a stupid question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »
use any leverage/advantages/contacts that are available to you. ALWAYS. That is how MOST of the most successful people in this world got that way. Yes, you are URM, and you should use that to your advantage. Further, it sounds like you have some really meaty stuff to put in your PS, which will def. help you as well.

Also, just an FYI, don't go into your LSAT fully expecting your practice averages to translate into your actual score.

GL!

kirps

• Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:17:46 PM »
I agree whole heartedly,

I am 1/4 Indian, from India, its the largest identifiable portion of my heritage but the rest is just European mutt.

I went through UG on a minority full-tuition scholarship which I had to post a 2.0 to keep. I always identify myself as Asian/Pacific Islander and specify East Indian if it's an option. If that's the way the system works, take everything the system gives you.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:42:47 PM »
i agree.  use everything imaginable to boost your chances.  and it doesn't matter that you've used "white" in the past.    would you bench the superstar player in the championship game because you fear that if you won, everyone would say u won because of that one player? 
no

and don't do it now.  put your full arsenal of skills/traits on display.

Hey Now

• This Is Why I'm Hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
That analogy doesn't quite hold up...

Anyway, of course you should use URM.  At the top 3 schools that may be the only way to distinguish yourself from the hundreds of other equally qualified candidates. 

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 01:15:02 PM »
the analogy may be a little extreme, but it holds up.  rather than a superstar player, i should have used a key role player.  but whatever.  u get the idea.

the point is to use all the weapons at ur disposal.

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 01:20:11 PM »
The analogy would only work if you were talking about playing one of your average (read: non-super star, non-auto-admit) players because he learned to skate in Switzerland instead of Canada and you think that might help you win.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:48:57 PM »
u people are clearly bored.  find something besides LSD.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:57:09 PM »
The analogy would only work if you were talking about playing one of your average (read: non-super star, non-auto-admit) players because he learned to skate in Switzerland instead of Canada and you think that might help you win.

But this new analogy is extremely ideologically loaded and actually probably has less in common with the object of comparison than the old one.

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:04:18 PM »
boring