Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Private religious schools  (Read 1434 times)

Gopherit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Private religious schools
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 02:10:51 AM »
UMN '10

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 03:13:39 PM »
I doubt you would see much of a problem at a Catholic institution. I'm not sure about any Protestant schools, however.  It seems like it would be more of an issue since from my experience I have found there are many more "Ned Flanders" types among the protestants, and more motivation to pass those beliefs on to others.  Then again, when you look at an undergrad college like that Bob Jones college, if you go there and then have a problem with the religious atmosphere I have little sympathy since you should know exactly what you are getting into before attending.

wow I'm amazed at this Cubs' fans common sense...
If only he hadn't been brainwashed by a far more trumatic ideology...  :'(

Seriously though, this is typically right at the college level and beyond with Catholic schools... they are not going to evangalize their students (or faculty, administrators, etc).

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 05:23:40 PM »
Well regarded jesuit schools (BC, Georgetown, etc) do not proselytize or emphasize religiosity.  As someone else said, the Jesuit ideology forms the basis of the school's philosophy, but it's centered around civic duty, not communion.  In general the Catholic tradition is a lot less about salvation through Jesus than the precepts of charity, public service, etc.

Also generally, T3 and T4s with a religious affiliation - especially a protestant one - are much more likely to have a dogmatic ideology that is as much about church doctrine as public service. If you're considering a religious T3/T4, definitely visit and talk to students to get a feel for how dogmatic the focus is.  I wouldn't worry at all about attending a top Jesuit school (I'm an athiest and would very much like to, funds permitting, due to the public service focus).  For what it's worth, I've also heard that the religious atmosphere is a little more conservative at Notre Dame but not uncomfortable for non-Catholics.
U of Chicago 2010.

Kitty782

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »
All of this protestant school bashing . . . has anyone actually attended a protestant institution for undergrad or grad school?  I went to a protestant school for my undergrad, and not once did I feel that religion had crept its way into my personal or academic life. If anything, I felt that my school went out of its way to be tolerant of other religions and ideologies, but also to allow for intercultural understanding and communication.  This may be due to the liberal nature of my undergrad institution.  I also didn't feel that there was any evangelism, which seems to be what people are referring to when talking about "Ned Flanders" types.
Fordham 2010

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 06:16:46 PM »
All of this protestant school bashing ... has anyone actually attended a protestant institution for undergrad or grad school?  I went to a protestant school for my undergrad, and not once did I feel that religion had crept its way into my personal or academic life. If anything, I felt that my school went out of its way to be tolerant of other religions and ideologies, but also to allow for intercultural understanding and communication.  This may be due to the liberal nature of my undergrad institution.  I also didn't feel that there was any evangelism, which seems to be what people are referring to when talking about "Ned Flanders" types.

Re: Protestants:
ok it would obviously be off the mark to label protestant schools that way but I think we were just trying to hit on the stereotype...

For example, I make fun of my (Catholic) church for basically "being protestant" by trying to come up with all these little clever gimmicks, fundraisers, pep talks, new ideas for songs from other cultures etc. like its all "progressive" and "for the new common era" etc...

... actually come to think of it there's college with a protestant affiliation in my town - I don't think it has the slightest bit of an evangelical approach either!  Wow, it just goes to show you...  ;D

I think michelle d pretty much hit it on the head though about how the t3's and t4's with religious affiliations might be significantly more preachy whearas Boston College, DePaul, Marquette, NOVA and those bigger names are not going to rub it in your face --- imo they probably have too diverse of a school body to do that.

Notre Dame is a bit different -- they have little chapels in all the undergrad res halls - however, they are like the primier / elite catholic school in the country- I don't think any other school is at all like them for a lot of reasons.

I can't even name a protestant law school?

Kitty782

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 09:15:36 PM »
All of this protestant school bashing ... has anyone actually attended a protestant institution for undergrad or grad school?  I went to a protestant school for my undergrad, and not once did I feel that religion had crept its way into my personal or academic life. If anything, I felt that my school went out of its way to be tolerant of other religions and ideologies, but also to allow for intercultural understanding and communication.  This may be due to the liberal nature of my undergrad institution.  I also didn't feel that there was any evangelism, which seems to be what people are referring to when talking about "Ned Flanders" types.

ok it would be off the mark to label "all" protestant schools that way b/c of all the different types etc. I think he was just trying to refer to a trend that's not always recognized...

For example, I always make fun of my (Catholic) church for basically "being protestant" by trying to come up with all these little clever gimmicks, fundraisers, pep talks, new ideas for songs from other cultures etc. like its all "progressive" and "for the new common era" etc...

... actually come to think of it there's college with a protestant affiliation in my town and I don't think it has the slightest bit of an evangelical approach. I guess that stuff all depends on who exactly you are talking about.

I agree with what you are saying.  The best way to get a feel for something like this is to visit the school and talk to students that aren't members of the school's religion.  They would probably be in the best position to tell you.  I would argue that since law schools are generally pretty separate from the undergraduate institutions, they may not have as much of a religious influence (besides emphasizing pro bono work and so forth). So, you should probably talk to law students if you are concerned about the level of religious influence at any school.
Fordham 2010

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 09:19:20 PM »
I visited a friend at a Christian school last year during undergrad. She is not super religious but had no problem with it. I on the other hand was shocked by all the rules. I'm sure they are only in place for undergrad but still...
I guess if I wanted to I could get use to it if it was a great school
UMiami c/o 2010

chonefiggins

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 10:18:11 PM »
I have a friend that goes to a jesuit school and it's just like any other party school. I have another friend that goes to a lutheran school and he had to sneek his girlfriend into his dorm in a duffel bag (not joking).

tenaciousb

• AOL Instant Messenger - CollegiateError
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55:53 PM »
I have a friend that goes to a jesuit school and it's just like any other party school. I have another friend that goes to a lutheran school and he had to sneek his girlfriend into his dorm in a duffel bag (not joking).

yah im just hoping to be able to stretch my legs and enjoy myself within reason at loyola new orleans
Loyola New Orleans Class of '10

Judge Haller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 11:29:56 PM »
Sneek?  ???
WVU Class of 2011