Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Private religious schools  (Read 1436 times)

tenaciousb

• AOL Instant Messenger - CollegiateError
    • View Profile
    • Email
Private religious schools
« on: March 15, 2007, 05:32:55 PM »
Ok so if I go to a private Catholic school am I going to have Communion wafers beaning me upside the head during torts or is it just an additional avenue of extra-curricular life to enjoy if that's for you?
Loyola New Orleans Class of '10

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Private religious schools
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »
I'm considering a private religious school as well.  I'm guessing that you are talking about a Jesuit school?  You probably know that they are very into public service.  If you think that is the type of law you might be interested in, they would probably be a very good fit for you.

Anyway, to answer your question, I have heard that there is very little, if any, inclusion of overt religion in those schools.  The "religious" aspect will come across more in the values of the school.  As I said above, they will focus much more on public service and doing right by your fellow man, as opposed to the cut-throat law that some other schools push.

As far as being an alum of a religious law school, I understand that it can help you out.  If you are interviewing for a job where a religious background could be a positive (or if you know the people interviewing you are very religious), then you can sort of put it out there that you went to a religious school, which will imply that you value religion.  This wouldn't come up often, if at all, but it can be a useful "card" to play.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 06:43:17 PM »
I think I've seen a Jesuit once, at our public interest program auction, and there was no prayer (although there might have been, I'd had a few.)  He mostly talked about community service and how great it was that there was all of that support.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 06:51:07 PM »
The power of Christ compels you!

Seriously, though, especially at the law level, I haven't heard of anything that would make someone who wasn't Christian or Catholic uncomfortable at Jesuit schools.

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 07:56:10 PM »
I'm an observant Jew and go to a Jesuit law school. I have never felt uncomfortable in any way. They go out of their way to accomodate the religious needs of non-catholics (for example they always provide kosher food and they tape record classes when they fall on the Jewish holidays). I like that the school emphasizes public service, whatever the reason.

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:44:23 PM »
i agree with above comments -- a law school probably shouldn't / doesn't taint its classes w/ religious ideology - and the "mission of social service" is great, at any rate [assuming its not serving as a religious endorsement]...

I did see some stuff on Ave Maria's site or mail or somehting that was pro-life though... and said something about "faith and reason go together"

ARRRGH I might have been brainwashed by Catholicism, but at least it is refreshing to know i might have some resistance yet.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 01:19:26 AM »
i agree with above comments -- a law school probably shouldn't / doesn't taint its classes w/ religious ideology - and the "mission of social service" is great, at any rate [assuming its not serving as a religious endorsement]...

I did see some stuff on Ave Maria's site or mail or somehting that was pro-life though... and said something about "faith and reason go together"

ARRRGH I might have been brainwashed by Catholicism, but at least it is refreshing to know i might have some resistance yet.

I can only comfortably claim that you won't get a lot of god stuff at Jesuit schools.  I make no promises about other religious schools.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 01:23:17 AM »
No, by all means, attend Liberty... I promise, it's not religious at all! ;)

gocubs2k6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 01:31:09 AM »
I doubt you would see much of a problem at a Catholic institution. I'm not sure about any Protestant schools, however.  It seems like it would be more of an issue since from my experience I have found there are many more "Ned Flanders" types among the protestants, and more motivation to pass those beliefs on to others.  Then again, when you look at an undergrad college like that Bob Jones college, if you go there and then have a problem with the religious atmosphere I have little sympathy since you should know exactly what you are getting into before attending.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 01:43:35 AM »
isnt there one catholic law school that is really big into the catholic natural law tradition?