Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WHAT THE HELL TO DO?  (Read 1357 times)

K-Bomb

• Sr. Citizen
  • You = Gatorbait.
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT THE HELL TO DO?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:48:08 AM »
I'd be very careful about banking on a scholarship that requires a high GPA, especially the W&M one. It's entirely possible (50% or 75% likely actually, or roughly so) that you will in fact end up paying full price for those schools. If that happens, you will probably seriously regret not going with GW or Fordham if they are both where you really want to go.

I think the 75% means he needs to be anywhere but in the bottom 1/4 of his class.  That shouldn't be uber-difficult.

ishi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 12:56:22 AM »
So you think the differences between these schools aren't enough to pay more money for them?  Hmm...that's good.  I originally thought Wake for sure, but W&M is really beautiful and seems to have a better rep/alumni network, so now I'm confused.

I should take a step back and say I don't know enough about either school, or about you, to say what's "best" -- but if it were me, I'd probably take the free ride. 

Just make sure you realize that your dilemma is a good one.  Very few people have the good fortune to have to deal with making a decision like this. 

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 02:21:22 AM »
Forget Fordham. I hear it's actually very tough to get a job in NYC from Fordham (think about it, you're competing with NYU and Columbia directly, then just about every other tier 1 school on the east coast). And they seem to be really stingy. I got $20,000 a year for three years to Duke (#11) and Fordham (#32) offered $2,300 a year. Part of me really wants to stay in NYC, but now I'm just hoping for NYU or Columbia. It's almost a joke that they even bothered offering an annual grant that small.

that's horrible advice. You may be accurate on some points, but to be so dismissive and say "forget Fordham" is just stupid. Although I agree that FU may be stingy in their $$ packages, if you finish top 30% there, your biglaw prospects in NYC are great.

agreed.  i've also read on this board, as well as from alumni, that big law prospects are "good" for the top %50.
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 02:48:51 AM »
Quote from: combestkevin
I think the 75% means he needs to be anywhere but in the bottom 1/4 of his class.  That shouldn't be uber-difficult.

I believe you are correct. In that case, a bit less of a risk but still not totally trivial.

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »
Forget Fordham. I hear it's actually very tough to get a job in NYC from Fordham (think about it, you're competing with NYU and Columbia directly, then just about every other tier 1 school on the east coast). And they seem to be really stingy. I got $20,000 a year for three years to Duke (#11) and Fordham (#32) offered $2,300 a year. Part of me really wants to stay in NYC, but now I'm just hoping for NYU or Columbia. It's almost a joke that they even bothered offering an annual grant that small.

that's horrible advice. You may be accurate on some points, but to be so dismissive and say "forget Fordham" is just stupid. Although I agree that FU may be stingy in their $$ packages, if you finish top 30% there, your biglaw prospects in NYC are great.

Considering that nearly 40% of Fordham students go into BigLaw, it is more like top 50% and your chances are good.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

latenitesession

• Sr. Citizen
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »

Considering that nearly 40% of Fordham students go into BigLaw, it is more like top 50% and your chances are good.

either way, you get my point
Fordham (PT)

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »
I disagree with some of the advice in this thread.

IMO GWU would open up a larger range of doors than WF, and would be worth extra money spent.  GW is likely much more respected in DC and would probably be a bigger name in NY as well.  Coupled with the fact that you like the city atmosphere, I would go with GW (hopefully they could come up with some kind of money for you)

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 12:54:48 AM »
I know little about the schools you are considering since they are all out of my league (I applied to W&M as a far reach school)

However, I grew up in Richmond, VA so I can provide some insight on the area of W&M if location is something you are considering (I have no idea where you are from...you may already know this):

Williamsburg, although not a big city, is not a bad city either.  There is TONS of stuff to do in that area.  Not to mention, it is pretty well centrally located to a variety of places--you would be less than 3 hours from DC, about 40 min. from Richmond, you would be very close to Virginia Beach and the Hampton Roads area, and you wouldn't be far from the mountains either, if that is something you prefer.  I've been on the W&M campus a few times, and IMO it's a beautiful place...but I tend to think that of most schools I've looked at. 

Of course, location really might not be something you are considering.  As someone who is about to be 28 and tired of moving (I just finished a 6 year enlistment in the Navy and have moved just about every year for the past 10), location is something I'm HEAVILY considering since I really don't want to move again after I graduate--at least, not right away!  ;D 
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 01:12:23 AM »
my two cents:

first off...

Fordham's only 32nd, they have a great network for jobs in NYC and other big eastern cities.

wroooong ... if you aren't set on NYC take GW over fordham.  barring aid the price will be about the same and a GW degree will give you a whole lot more portability.

If you plan to do biglaw or federal government jobs I would go with GW.
if you want to do public interest or state government jobs I would go with W&M
if you are really nervous about debt go with wake ... it has a decent rep and although you will have to do a great deal of footwork on your own it is a decent degree to shop around.

I would personally go with GW.  Pretty much hands down (unless you are committed to low paying PI)
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...